Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

bestmen

[OFF TOPIC] Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

971 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Ok, so bidding deadline day has arrived and it's now time to close the bidding window for the Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2017. So here are the 9 nations that will contend for the right to host the contest:

TISC Open 2017 - Host Candidates:

Official Bids:

:ALG  Algeria

:CAN  Canada

:CRO  Croatia

:MEX Mexico

:NZL New Zealand

:POL Poland

:SRB Serbia

:TUN Tunisia

:USA United States

I don't think there has been any agreement about how to conduct the bidding contest so by default we will have to revert to a game of luck. As many users suggested already, having 9 users from different parts of the world online at once might be tricky so probably better to break it down into heats somehow. How the hell to conduct this? I don't know yet, I'm still open to suggestions (seriously, please :d).

Maybe three heats of three nations, one nation advancing to the final from each and one other lucky loser making a final of 4 nations?

We can all go to Ireland... I'll bring a piñata and, we take turns to hit it and after someone breaks it, whoever finds the golden key is the winner :p

Seriously, why not do it like the format many of us suggested... some kind of bracket (with a previous round between me and the Serbs) from which 4 winners go on to the final contest?

4 hours ago, mrv86 said:

We can all go to Ireland... I'll bring a piñata and, we take turns to hit it and after someone breaks it, whoever finds the golden key is the winner :p

Seriously, why not do it like the format many of us suggested... some kind of bracket (with a previous round between me and the Serbs) from which 4 winners go on to the final contest?

well than NZL can participate to as Wanderer hosted as much as me

it's about next user that will try to make great contest anyway

15 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Ok, so bidding deadline day has arrived and it's now time to close the bidding window for the Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2017. So here are the 9 nations that will contend for the right to host the contest:

TISC Open 2017 - Host Candidates:

Official Bids:

:ALG  Algeria

:CAN  Canada

:CRO  Croatia

:MEX Mexico

:NZL New Zealand

:POL Poland

:SRB Serbia

:TUN Tunisia

:USA United States

I don't think there has been any agreement about how to conduct the bidding contest so by default we will have to revert to a game of luck. As many users suggested already, having 9 users from different parts of the world online at once might be tricky so probably better to break it down into heats somehow. How the hell to conduct this? I don't know yet, I'm still open to suggestions (seriously, please :d).

Maybe three heats of three nations, one nation advancing to the final from each and one other lucky loser making a final of 4 nations?

If you're going that route, then I can tell you that luck and I are strangers xD

I was thinking about a knockout round which we have heats like so...

Heat 1: Algeria, New Zealand, Tunisia

Heat 2: Croatia, Poland, Serbia

Heat 3: Canada, Mexico, United States

Heat 4: The countries that came in second in their original heats (like a second chance round)

Then hold 2 semi finals with the 4 remaining countries. The two winners will face off in the final and whoever has the most votes becomes the host (and all by polling. I recommend strawpoll.me for real time results, thought I was thinking we might make the results hidden for added suspense)

17 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Maybe having this system:

Preliminary round

Heat 1 (former hosts (users)) - :MEX:NZL:SRB

Heat 2 and Heat 3 - other six nations selected randomly.

One nation from Heat 1 + two nations from Heats 2 and 3 advance to the Grand Final of 5.

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Maybe having this system:

Preliminary round

Heat 1 (former hosts (users)) - :MEX:NZL:SRB

Heat 2 and Heat 3 - other six nations selected randomly.

One nation from Heat 1 + two nations from Heats 2 and 3 advance to the Grand Final of 5.

Sure, that sounds like a good solution. Maybe, as suggested, I will make the other two heats regional based to ensure different regions are represented in the final.

Heat 2 ( :ALG:TUN and CRO/POL)

Heat 3 ( :CAN:USA and CRO/POL)

So at least one African nation and one American nation would be guaranteed a place in the final and the former hosts have a slightly harder route to the final, with only one advancing.

22 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Sure, that sounds like a good solution. Maybe, as suggested, I will make the other two heats regional based to ensure different regions are represented in the final.

Heat 2 ( :ALG:TUN and CRO/POL)

Heat 3 ( :CAN:USA and CRO/POL)

So at least one African nation and one American nation would be guaranteed a place in the final and the former hosts have a slightly harder route to the final, with only one advancing.

With this system we get the following win probabilities.

http://image.prntscr.com/image/ef7a81c013f1422fb3da369705334a6b.png

In general that's 80% possibility to see a new host and 20% possibility to see a former host repeating his/her duties.

good idea !!

i just don't understand that all of you voted for this rule " the winner will be the host" and now you want to host and you present yourselves as candidate :lol:

1 hour ago, bestmen said:

good idea !!

i just don't understand that all of you voted for this rule " the winner will be the host" and now you want to host and you present yourselves as candidate :lol:

What's not to understand? The winner doesn't want to host, therefore it's up to everybody else to bid.

That was actually one of the arguments for it.

2 hours ago, Agger said:

What's not to understand? The winner doesn't want to host, therefore it's up to everybody else to bid.

That was actually one of the arguments for it.

LOL

i meant if they want to host they shouldn't vote for one rule like that because no one of them will win one day

so making one bid   is their only chance (that's why i  voted against )

Edited by bestmen

28 minutes ago, bestmen said:

LOL

i meant if they want to host they shouldn't vote for one rule like that because no one of them will win one day

so making one vote like this one  is their only chance (that's why i  voted against )

Well. Wanting to host doesn't necessarily mean that you think the winner shouldn't be first in line.

Afterall there are still a lot more countries not showing interest than doing so.

Okay so some details on the Competition to find our next TISC Open host:

Heat 1: Tuesday, 27th December (18:00 GMT)

Competitors: :MEX:NZL:SRB

Qualification Criteria: One nation will advance to the Final

Heat 2: Wednesday, 28th December (18:00 GMT)

Competitors: :ALG:CRO:TUN

Qualification Criteria: Two nations will advance to the Final

Heat 3: Thursday, 29th December (18:00 GMT)

Competitors: :CAN:POL:USA

Qualification Criteria: Two nations will advance to the Final

FINAL: Friday, 30th December (18:00 GMT)

5 Nations compete to win the Golden Ticket and the right to host TISC Open 2017!

No nations will be punished for not being present to compete in their heat or final. I have decided it would be unfair to do so since it is short notice. So instead another user from the site will take part on their behalf should any of the competitors be absent at the time.

I haven't decided on a game format yet so I can't specify on how the heats will work yet. Good luck to all 9 bidders @amen09  @bestmen  @DaniSRB  @dcro  @dezbee2008  @intoronto  @mrv86  @rybak  @Wanderer

Edited by OlympicIRL

How is the format to choose?, private vote?

I for sure will miss that time. I am getting my wisdom tooth removed at the time (though I'd gladly do this over that lol).

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I for sure will miss that time. I am getting my wisdom tooth removed at the time (though I'd gladly do this over that lol).

Eek!! Good luck with that! I could swap heats 2 and 3 around if you'd prefer but even if you can't make it, Canada will be represented in the game by someone :yes

1 hour ago, konig said:

How is the format to choose?, private vote?

A game of luck :yes