Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
hckosice

Golf Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

JoshMartini007    164

It's funny that only the men are withdrawing from the Olympics due to fear of the Zika virus.

McIloroy's is the type of golfer that would cause a mass exodus from the tournament. Say goodbye to golf at future Olympics past 2020.

dcro    2,663

And it's interesting that only golfers are withdrawing because of Zika virus. :d

heywoodu    3,204
12 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's funny that only the men are withdrawing from the Olympics due to fear of the Zika virus.

McIloroy's is the type of golfer that would cause a mass exodus from the tournament. Say goodbye to golf at future Olympics past 2020.

Which would be incredibly stupid, because the number of withdrawals this year basically means nothing.

JoshMartini007    164
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which would be incredibly stupid, because the number of withdrawals this year basically means nothing.

It means a lot. The only thing keeping this from being a complete disaster (assuming more withdrawals, it's actually not so bad right now) is that the women's side is intact. First impressions are important and for a sport that barely made the Olympics. They would have to be fully committed in 2020 if they want to stay (or the IOC gets a lot of revenue regardless of the strength of field).

De_Gambassi    270
Il y a 1 heure , JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

As it stands, the first men's tennis tournament in 1988 was worse. Only three top ten tennismen were in Seoul

Agger    386

Branden Grace is next to withdraw, meaning that the 3 best south african golfers will not go.

Graeme McDowell as well. 

The only positive thing is that it may give 2 of the good old players a chance as Padraig Harrington is next in line for Ireland and Retief Goosen isn't that far away for South Africa

Edited by Agger

heywoodu    3,204
11 minutes ago, Agger said:

Branden Grace is next to withdraw, meaning that the 3 best south african golfers will not go.

Graeme McDowell as well. 

The only positive thing is that it may give 2 of the good old players a chance as Padraig Harrington is next in line for Ireland and Retief Goosen isn't that far away for South Africa

Though to be fair, I don't think people will say "OMG, Branden Grace won't go to Rio!"... 

And about McDowell, it seems as though he was already long clear that he didn't want to leave home at the time his wife might be giving birth :) 

intoronto    405

I honestly hope after 2020 this sport is dropped from the Olympics. With 120 quotas you can add squash and make baseball and softball at 8 teams each...

Agger    386
10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Though to be fair, I don't think people will say "OMG, Branden Grace won't go to Rio!"... 

And about McDowell, it seems as though he was already long clear that he didn't want to leave home at the time his wife might be giving birth :) 

Well. He is no. 11 on the World Rankings.

heywoodu    3,204
1 minute ago, Agger said:

Well. He is no. 11 on the World Rankings.

Seriously? I must admit I never heard of him even though I do watch quite some golf during the year... 

heywoodu    3,204
5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I honestly hope after 2020 this sport is dropped from the Olympics. With 120 quotas you can add squash and make baseball and softball at 8 teams each...

It's way, way too early to judge. I'm guessing IOC might lose patience, but if they're being fair, they wait at least until 2024. 

Agger    386
15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Seriously? I must admit I never heard of him even though I do watch quite some golf during the year... 

He has 2 wins and another 3 top 5 places this year (including tied 5th at US Open)