website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

Day 6

Tuesday February 20th, 2018

ROUND OF 16

Results

United States - Slovakia  5-1 (0-0, 3-1, 2-0)

Goals:

22. Donato (Gilroy, Terry) 1:0, 23. Wisniewski (Terry) 2:0, 34. Arcobello (Terry, Blum) 3:0, 50. Roe (Little, O'Neill) 4:1, 57. Donato (Wisniewski) 5:1 - 37. Čerešňák (Graňák, Nagy) 3:1

Slovenia - Norway  1-2 after Overtime (1-0, 0-0, 0-1, Overtime: 0-1)

Goals:

7. Urbas (Muršak) 1:0 - 44. Kristiansen (Röymark, Bastiansen) 1:1, 64. Bonsaksen (Rosseli Olsen, P. Thoresen) 1:2 OT

Finland - South Korea  5-2 (1-0, 2-2, 2-0)

Goals:

5. Kontiola (Tolvanen, Kemppainen) 1:0, 24. Kontiola (Lepistö, Tolvanen) 2:0, 27. Heiskanen (Tolvanen) 3:0, 48. Hietanen (Osala, Junttila) 4:2, 60. Manninen (Hietanen, Koskiranta) 5:2 – 31. Radunske (Regan, Kim Sangwook) 3:1, 33. Ahn Jin-hui (Shin Sanghoon) 3:2

Switzerland - Germany  1-2 after Overtime (0-1, 1-0, 0-0, Overtime: 0-1)

Goals:

24. Moser (Ambühl, Suter) 1:1 - 2. Pföderl (Hördler, Hager) 0:1 , 61. Y. Seidenberg (Kahun, Mauer) 1:2 OT

Quarterfinals Pairing

Czech Republic vs United States

Olympic Athlete from Russia vs Norway

Canada vs Finland

Sweden vs Germany

40 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm glad we avoided Sweden and Russia in the quarter-finals, but I'm very nervous against Finland too...

Thanks to 1 point we were forced to play this stupid Qualification round. This tournament format sucks. Was it made just that the host country would be able to play Olympic playoffs? lol

21 minutes ago, Finnator123 said:

Thanks to 1 point we were forced to play this stupid Qualification round. This tournament format sucks. Was it made just that the host country would be able to play Olympic playoffs? lol

It's been like that since 2010 and I doubt Canada and Russia needed help reaching the quarter-finals :p.

I think it was done so that the players had fewer games to play at the Olympics (6 or 7 vs. 8 in 2006). I imagine the NHL led that charge for the format change.

I didn't watch the group match, but i heard that Germany was unlucky to lose that match, so is there a chance for a german victory tonight? I think Germany winning in ice hockey against Sweden would be a perfect fit for these olympics. When people in 20 years look back at the results here, they will probably be like "what the hell?" ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

52 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's been like that since 2010 and I doubt Canada and Russia needed help reaching the quarter-finals :p.

I think it was done so that the players had fewer games to play at the Olympics (6 or 7 vs. 8 in 2006). I imagine the NHL led that charge for the format change.

Yeah, but i guess i find it stupid since Finland has been able to qualify directly to the quaterfinals in 2010 & 2014 :d 

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I didn't watch the group match, but i heard that Germany was unlucky to lose that match, so is there a chance for a german victory tonight? I think Germany winning in ice hockey against Sweden would be a perfect fit for these olympics. When people in 20 years look back at the results here, they will probably be like "what the hell?" ...

I don't think there are many chances for Germany...

the group stage game doesn't count for anything...it was played at a turtle's speed by both teams, with Germany being very well organized on D (as usual) and Sweden just waiting for the clock to run down to 0...

we can say it was the classical matinèè, with most players not even well woken up (that leading to some big defensive mistakes, which unfortunately both teams' forwards didn't take any advantage from)...

on today's eightfinals...my commentary is just "meh!"...

the game I had most expectations on, it turned out to be a total disappointment...Slovakia started too slow in the first period, but still managed to avoid any further trouble and raised their game a little in the second part...then, when it looked that they were gaining some confidence, the US scored just at the beginning of the central period after a bad defensive mistake by the Slovak defenders (there was also a missed changed, I tink) and immediately after that, 2 stupid penalties (especially the senseless check-to-the head-and-neck-area from Caikovsky, which cost him a lethal 5-min+game misconduct) came at the same time to kill all the Slovak hopes...the following 2-man advantage situation gave the US a quick 2-0 lead and then it was all downhill for them...

Slovakia had some chances on counters but their forwards (mainly Marek Daloga) missed them by going to weak one-on-one against the US goalie Zapolski...and there's no way you can score against him in that way...

finally, after another goal by the US just before the end of the second period, the game soon became just "garbage time"...

SLO vs NOR wasn't also the most entertaining game of the Olympic tournament, but at least it was close, very close...so close that it went down to the OT...

finaly, Norway won it, but I still have more than a doubt about the game winner...imho, there was a goalie interference as big as the Oslo Fjord, but the refs did see it in a different way and up north can start the party for their best result since many, many years...

GER vs SUI...twice "meh!" as expected it was a game played well below the capability of both teams, with the German plan executed with perfect effectivness as they normally do against their arch-rival from Switzerland...

the early goal by GER (thanks once again to the stupid head check and consequential 5min+game pen against the Swiss Cody Almond) was levelled by the team with the Red Cross at the beginning of the second period...then it was all tactics, clinches, holds and no good play...to high the prize money for a win to take any risk and give the neutral audience some satisfaction...

the logical end of a game like this was a tie...and a tie we had...then, in the first minute of the OT it was GER to take advantage of a defensive impasse by the Swiss and sadness came down in the streets of Bern, Zurich and the rest of Switzerland...

FIN vs KOR...I didn't watch the game...so, I have no idea of how it really went, but I can say for sure that I'm quite surprised by the not-so-large win by the Finns...but fortunately for the hosts, I guess that they didn't play at their best pace to save some energy for tomorrow's quarterfinal match...

tomorrow I can't wait for USA vs CZE and CAN vs FIN among the men's quarters...

meanwhile OAR vs NOR I think it's gonna be a massacre in favor of the mighty Russians and SWE vs GER doesn't get me inspired as the other 2 games named above...

so, I guess that 2 games would be enough to fill my daily schedule for tomorrow (the remaining 2 will be relegated to the highlights only)...

Edited by phelps

Goaaaaaaaaal :CZE !!

Spoiler

ok USA already scored one too, but still 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!