website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2018

Henry_Leon

9 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

They just shouldn't expand, and then have a very convoluted tournament with 16 groups of 3 teams, the World Cup is Fine the way it is!

I wonder if they said the same thing prior to 1982 (going from 16 to 24) and 1998 (going from 24 to 32) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder if they said the same thing prior to 1982 (going from 16 to 24) and 1998 (going from 24 to 32) :p 

well i dont know about 78-82 and big teams who missed the tournament then, but i do remember England and France not making the 94 world cup in the US

3 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

well i dont know about 78-82 and big teams who missed the tournament then, but i do remember England and France not making the 94 world cup in the US

But I bet there were plenty of people saying "no, going to 32 is too much, 24 is enough."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

But I bet there were plenty of people saying "no, going to 32 is too much, 24 is enough."

They are expanding from 32 to 48 which is more teams than whole CONMEBOL. Also, I forgot, how many teams are in Asian AFC Cup? And I think 16 teams compete at African CAF Cup of Nations :d 

That didnt change the tournament to it's very core, 8 groups instead of 6, still going to a round of 16 , now it will be 16 groups of 3 teams, moving on to a round of 32!

and btw, they change to 32 didnt add that many teams per confederation, here they add 5 teams to Africa, 4 to Asia and make the final round of North America meaningless (this year there was only 5 legit teams in north america, and yes i know usa lost to trinidad)

Well, coming from a small nation in football, I'm all for it so maybe our team can qualify :cheer:

Well, coming from a small nation in football, I'm all for it so maybe our team can qualify :cheer:

haha , 2 finals in 74, 78, semi final in 98, 14, final in 10

yea..... tiny!!

though the expansion means that USA will never miss the world cup again!! (and no , israel will still NEVER qualify)

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

haha , 2 finals in 74, 78, semi final in 98, 14, final in 10

yea..... tiny!!

though the expansion means that USA will never miss the world cup again!! (and no , israel will still NEVER qualify)

Time to move away from UEFA and join AFC, which would make more sense anyway and increase their chances a lot :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Time to move away from UEFA and join AFC, which would make more sense anyway and increase their chances a lot :p 

yes, i see it now, Israel - Iran, Israel - Qatar, Israel - Bahrain, Israel - Saudi Arabia...... we can just qualify because so many teams just wont show up against us

can we be in a group just with South Korea, Japan, China, Australia? wait, i dont think we can make it out of this group

up until 1994 when israel joined uefa (someone remembers the amazing win in france ? 3-2 on the 94th minute against Eric Cantona and David Ginola), before that they were in Oceania and through there they qualified for the 1970 World Cup and also the playoffs for the 1990 world cup (lost to colombia)

1 minute ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

yes, i see it now, Israel - Iran, Israel - Qatar, Israel - Bahrain, Israel - Saudi Arabia...... we can just qualify because so many teams just wont show up against us

Nothing but advantages right there :d