Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
MHSN

Iran National Thread | به سوی توکیو 2020

dareza    627
14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Today was a sad day for me  because of Taekwondo but apparently we won another quota in athletics , according to Iranian news agencies , Mahmoud Samimi reached the qualification standard in a tournament in Hungary, I couldn't find a Hungarian source to confirm that

btw it is true. First post was from 14.6.

from yesterday: https://atletika.hu/sites/default/files/masz/eredmenyek/2016/98-teli-versenysorozat-5-fordulo-eredmenyek-0416224737.pdf

MHSN    339

With Kimia Alizadeh securing a spot in Women's Taekwondo today, now we have 41 quotas. here is the list of remaining qualifiers for Iranian athletes.

Wrestling: 1st World Qualifier 22-24 April (if necessary 2nd qualifier 6-8 May)

Rowing: Asian/Oceania Qualifier 22-25 April

Canoeing Slalom: Asian Qualifier 23-24 April

Boxing: APB/WAS Qualifier 13-22 May

Volleyball: World/Asian Qualifier 28 May-5 June

Judo; The end of qualification period 31 May

Boxing: World Amateur Qualifier 7-19 June

Archery: World Cup 13-18 June

Beach Volleyball: AVC Cup 15-21 June (first they have to qualify in semifinal round 12-14 May)

beside that you always can qualify by reaching the standards in Athletics and Swimming, while in Swimming we have no chance to qualify , but they will most probably get a universality place.

ledon    13
12 hours ago, MHSN said:

With Kimia Alizadeh securing a spot in Women's Taekwondo today, now we have 41 quotas. here is the list of remaining qualifiers for Iranian athletes.

Wrestling: 1st World Qualifier 22-24 April (if necessary 2nd qualifier 6-8 May)

Rowing: Asian/Oceania Qualifier 22-25 April

Canoeing Slalom: Asian Qualifier 23-24 April

Boxing: APB/WAS Qualifier 13-22 May

Volleyball: World/Asian Qualifier 28 May-5 June

Judo; The end of qualification period 31 May

Boxing: World Amateur Qualifier 7-19 June

Archery: World Cup 13-18 June

Beach Volleyball: AVC Cup 15-21 June (first they have to qualify in semifinal round 12-14 May)

beside that you always can qualify by reaching the standards in Athletics and Swimming, while in Swimming we have no chance to qualify , but they will most probably get a universality place.

you forgot Basketball:p

MHSN    339
14 minutes ago, ledon said:

you forgot Basketball:p

Oops i had basketball in my mind when i started to write but i just forgot it. Lol after we have no realistic chance

ledon    13
Just now, MHSN said:

Oops i had basketball in my mind when i started to write but i just forgot it. Lol after we have no realistic chance

sadly true, but I hope our guys will at least try. By the way who will go to wrestling qualifier?

MHSN    339
1 hour ago, ledon said:

sadly true, but I hope our guys will at least try. By the way who will go to wrestling qualifier?

Sourian and Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi, 2016 Asian Champion

MHSN    339

Mahsa Javar advanced to the final of Asian Rowing Qualifier in Korea and therefore at least secured a boat for Iran in Rio in this sport.

still no a sure thing for her. since each country can qualify only one boat per gender, which means if Iran also qualify in Women's Lightweight Doubles event, they have to chose one of them, (they will most probably pick the Doubles event) we will find out that tomorrow, but most probably we will have one rower in Rio. disappointing in general.

but with this, Iran will have at least 9 female athletes in Rio, which is a record, in London we had 8 and this 9 number is the biggest ever for Iran. good thing all of them qualified by merit, no wild card. here is the number of Iranian girls in each Olympics.

2012 - 8
2008 - 3
1996-2004 - 1
1988-1992 - 0
1984-1980 - Did not participate
1976 - 4
1968-1972 - 0
1964 - 4
1948-1960 - 0

Remember we had no qualifiers in old days and from 1996 to 2004 Iran only participate in Shooting via wild card so in fact we had our first ever "qualified" female athlete back in 2008. in that Olympic Iran qualified in Archery, Rowing and Taekwondo.

heywoodu    3,204
41 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Mahsa Javar advanced to the final of Asian Rowing Qualifier in Korea and therefore at least secured a boat for Iran in Rio in this sport.

still no a sure thing for her. since each country can qualify only one boat per gender, which means if Iran also qualify in Women's Lightweight Doubles event, they have to chose one of them, (they will most probably pick the Doubles event) we will find out that tomorrow, but most probably we will have one rower in Rio. disappointing in general.

but with this, Iran will have at least 9 female athletes in Rio, which is a record, in London we had 8 and this 9 number is the biggest ever for Iran. good thing all of them qualified by merit, no wild card. here is the number of Iranian girls in each Olympics.

2012 - 8
2008 - 3
1996-2004 - 1
1988-1992 - 0
1984-1980 - Did not participate
1976 - 4
1968-1972 - 0
1964 - 4
1948-1960 - 0

Remember we had no qualifiers in old days and from 1996 to 2004 Iran only participate in Shooting via wild card so in fact we had our first ever "qualified" female athlete back in 2008. in that Olympic Iran qualified in Archery, Rowing and Taekwondo.

Does it have something to do with some sort of active encouragement of female sport in Iran in recent years? I mean, is it getting more common for "average women" - people like you and me - to start engaging in sports compared to 10-20 years ago? It's interesting, but good to see this number rising year after year :) 

MHSN    339
7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Does it have something to do with some sort of active encouragement of female sport in Iran in recent years? I mean, is it getting more common for "average women" - people like you and me - to start engaging in sports compared to 10-20 years ago? It's interesting, but good to see this number rising year after year :) 

Yes sure, That's the main reason,

most people who don't like the Islamic Republic say phantom stories about how good we were before the revolution, but the truth is even before 1979 revolution Iran was very weak, mostly for traditional reasons it was considered a "bad thing" now in new Iran despite having a religious government, the society is different. some of sport federations take their women program as serious as their men's program (still no all of them tough, not even half of them)

another thing is, they re-started women's sport around 1990 with sports like Shooting (which was possible to partcipate with Islamic dress codes)  now they even participate in football and volleyball ! but of course they only can get good results in sports that these dresses won't make obstacles for them like Shooting, Archery, Taekwondo

this time in Rio we even have hope to win medal. we have Youth Olympic Champion, Asian Games Champion and a former World number 1 among these 9 athletes.

heywoodu    3,204
2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes sure, That's the main reason,

most people who don't like the Islamic Republic say phantom stories about how good we were before the revolution, but the truth is even before 1979 revolution Iran was very weak, mostly for traditional reasons it was considered a "bad thing" now in new Iran despite having a religious government, the society is different. some of sport federations take their women program as serious as their men's program (still no all of them tough, not even half of them)

another thing is, they re-started women's sport around 1990 with sports like Shooting (which was possible to partcipate with Islamic dress codes)  now they even participate in football and volleyball ! but of course they only can get good results in sports that these dresses won't make obstacles for them like Shooting, Archery, Taekwondo

this time in Rio we even have hope to win medal. we have Youth Olympic Champion, Asian Games Champion and a former World number 1 among these 9 athletes.

It would be quite awesome to see an Iranian woman win a medal in Rio, I'm definitely rooting for her to get that far :bowdown:

MHSN    339
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It would be quite awesome to see an Iranian woman win a medal in Rio, I'm definitely rooting for her to get that far :bowdown:

These 3 girls I talked about are Kimia Alizadeh (Taekwondo), Najmeh Khedmati (Shooting) and Elaheh Ahmadi (Shooting)

Alizadeh despite being just 17, won Iran's first ever women medal in an Olympic event in 2015 World TKD Championship. She won gold in one of World Grand Prix events after beating Olympic Champion in the final, she is among the favorites for sure, but winning medal or not will depend on the competition day.

Khedmati (also 19) Won gold in Incheon Asian Games , that was Iran's first ever gold medal in an Olympic individual event in Asian Games. She is consistent, usually finishes in top 8 in all World Cups she entered. in the same event we have Elaheh Ahmadi, (6th place in London). of course I know Shooting is highly unpredictable but these two girls are both capable of reaching the final and anything is possible when you reach the final