website statistics

Iran National Thread

MHSN

Mahsa Javar advanced to the final of Asian Rowing Qualifier in Korea and therefore at least secured a boat for Iran in Rio in this sport.

still no a sure thing for her. since each country can qualify only one boat per gender, which means if Iran also qualify in Women's Lightweight Doubles event, they have to chose one of them, (they will most probably pick the Doubles event) we will find out that tomorrow, but most probably we will have one rower in Rio. disappointing in general.

but with this, Iran will have at least 9 female athletes in Rio, which is a record, in London we had 8 and this 9 number is the biggest ever for Iran. good thing all of them qualified by merit, no wild card. here is the number of Iranian girls in each Olympics.

2012 - 8
2008 - 3
1996-2004 - 1
1988-1992 - 0
1984-1980 - Did not participate
1976 - 4
1968-1972 - 0
1964 - 4
1948-1960 - 0

Remember we had no qualifiers in old days and from 1996 to 2004 Iran only participate in Shooting via wild card so in fact we had our first ever "qualified" female athlete back in 2008. in that Olympic Iran qualified in Archery, Rowing and Taekwondo.

41 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Mahsa Javar advanced to the final of Asian Rowing Qualifier in Korea and therefore at least secured a boat for Iran in Rio in this sport.

still no a sure thing for her. since each country can qualify only one boat per gender, which means if Iran also qualify in Women's Lightweight Doubles event, they have to chose one of them, (they will most probably pick the Doubles event) we will find out that tomorrow, but most probably we will have one rower in Rio. disappointing in general.

but with this, Iran will have at least 9 female athletes in Rio, which is a record, in London we had 8 and this 9 number is the biggest ever for Iran. good thing all of them qualified by merit, no wild card. here is the number of Iranian girls in each Olympics.

2012 - 8
2008 - 3
1996-2004 - 1
1988-1992 - 0
1984-1980 - Did not participate
1976 - 4
1968-1972 - 0
1964 - 4
1948-1960 - 0

Remember we had no qualifiers in old days and from 1996 to 2004 Iran only participate in Shooting via wild card so in fact we had our first ever "qualified" female athlete back in 2008. in that Olympic Iran qualified in Archery, Rowing and Taekwondo.

Does it have something to do with some sort of active encouragement of female sport in Iran in recent years? I mean, is it getting more common for "average women" - people like you and me - to start engaging in sports compared to 10-20 years ago? It's interesting, but good to see this number rising year after year :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Does it have something to do with some sort of active encouragement of female sport in Iran in recent years? I mean, is it getting more common for "average women" - people like you and me - to start engaging in sports compared to 10-20 years ago? It's interesting, but good to see this number rising year after year :) 

Yes sure, That's the main reason,

most people who don't like the Islamic Republic say phantom stories about how good we were before the revolution, but the truth is even before 1979 revolution Iran was very weak, mostly for traditional reasons it was considered a "bad thing" now in new Iran despite having a religious government, the society is different. some of sport federations take their women program as serious as their men's program (still no all of them tough, not even half of them)

another thing is, they re-started women's sport around 1990 with sports like Shooting (which was possible to partcipate with Islamic dress codes)  now they even participate in football and volleyball ! but of course they only can get good results in sports that these dresses won't make obstacles for them like Shooting, Archery, Taekwondo

this time in Rio we even have hope to win medal. we have Youth Olympic Champion, Asian Games Champion and a former World number 1 among these 9 athletes.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes sure, That's the main reason,

most people who don't like the Islamic Republic say phantom stories about how good we were before the revolution, but the truth is even before 1979 revolution Iran was very weak, mostly for traditional reasons it was considered a "bad thing" now in new Iran despite having a religious government, the society is different. some of sport federations take their women program as serious as their men's program (still no all of them tough, not even half of them)

another thing is, they re-started women's sport around 1990 with sports like Shooting (which was possible to partcipate with Islamic dress codes)  now they even participate in football and volleyball ! but of course they only can get good results in sports that these dresses won't make obstacles for them like Shooting, Archery, Taekwondo

this time in Rio we even have hope to win medal. we have Youth Olympic Champion, Asian Games Champion and a former World number 1 among these 9 athletes.

It would be quite awesome to see an Iranian woman win a medal in Rio, I'm definitely rooting for her to get that far :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It would be quite awesome to see an Iranian woman win a medal in Rio, I'm definitely rooting for her to get that far :bowdown:

These 3 girls I talked about are Kimia Alizadeh (Taekwondo), Najmeh Khedmati (Shooting) and Elaheh Ahmadi (Shooting)

Alizadeh despite being just 17, won Iran's first ever women medal in an Olympic event in 2015 World TKD Championship. She won gold in one of World Grand Prix events after beating Olympic Champion in the final, she is among the favorites for sure, but winning medal or not will depend on the competition day.

Khedmati (also 19) Won gold in Incheon Asian Games , that was Iran's first ever gold medal in an Olympic individual event in Asian Games. She is consistent, usually finishes in top 8 in all World Cups she entered. in the same event we have Elaheh Ahmadi, (6th place in London). of course I know Shooting is highly unpredictable but these two girls are both capable of reaching the final and anything is possible when you reach the final

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

These 3 girls I talked about are Kimia Alizadeh (Taekwondo), Najmeh Khedmati (Shooting) and Elaheh Ahmadi (Shooting)

Alizadeh despite being just 17, won Iran's first ever women medal in an Olympic event in 2015 World TKD Championship. She won gold in one of World Grand Prix events after beating Olympic Champion in the final, she is among the favorites for sure, but winning medal or not will depend on the competition day.

Khedmati (also 19) Won gold in Incheon Asian Games , that was Iran's first ever gold medal in an Olympic individual event in Asian Games. She is consistent, usually finishes in top 8 in all World Cups she entered. in the same event we have Elaheh Ahmadi, (6th place in London). of course I know Shooting is highly unpredictable but these two girls are both capable of reaching the final and anything is possible when you reach the final

Oops, I thought you were talking about one athlete (Alizadeh, I didn't know the others) :p 

I can especially imagine it'll be a huge pressure on her shoulders, considering her very young age and her status as one of the main favorites..

21 hours ago, MHSN said:

I see 8 qualified Iranian female athletes in this list, do you know who they are missing? :mumble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

I would like to write a little news article about it on a Dutch website, but of course it's quite crucial to be correct about which athletes qualified and it seems Wikipedia is not correct yet :p 

Edited by heywoodu

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I see 8 qualified Iranian female athletes in this list, do you know who they are missing? :mumble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

I would like to write a little news article about it on a Dutch website, but of course it's quite crucial to be correct about which athletes qualified and it seems Wikipedia is not correct yet :p 

I see 9 there ?! :mumble: but you can see the names of qualified athletes in first page of this thread

but I can re-write the list again

Zahra Nemati - Archery

Leila Rajabi - Athletics (Shot Put) / btw she is from Belarus, married to an Iranian and became Iranian

Mahsa Javar - Rowing

Najmeh Khedmati - Shooting (Rifle)

Elaheh Ahmadi - Shooting (Rifle)

Mahlagha Jambozorg - Shooting (Rifle)

Golnoush Sebghatollahi - Shooting (Pistol)

Neda Shahsavari - Table Tennis

Kimia Alizadeh - Taekwondo

for Rajabi, Ahmadi and Shahsavari it wll be their second Olympics, Nemati who will be Iran's flagbearer in Rio, is a Paralympic champion.

I don't thnk any other Iranian girl qualifies but there are still slim chance to qualify more in Athletics and Archery,

Edited by MHSN

32 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I see 9 there ?! :mumble: but you can see the names of qualified athletes in first page of this thread

but I can re-write the list again

Zahra Nemati - Archery

Leila Rajabi - Athletics (Shot Put) / btw she is from Belarus, married to an Iranian and became Iranian

Mahsa Javar - Rowing

Najmeh Khedmati - Shooting (Rifle)

Elaheh Ahmadi - Shooting (Rifle)

Mahlagha Jambozorg - Shooting (Rifle)

Golnoush Sebghatollahi - Shooting (Pistol)

Neda Shahsavari - Table Tennis

Kimia Alizadeh - Taekwondo

for Rajabi, Ahmadi and Shahsavari it wll be their second Olympics, Nemati who will be Iran's flagbearer in Rio, is a Paralympic champion.

I don't thnk any other Iranian girl qualifies but there are still slim chance to qualify more in Athletics and Archery,

Yes there are indeed 9 there, I think I forgot how to count for a moment :facepalm:

Thanks!