website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Team Sizes

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

frankly, I don't know why some names are on this list...

there are athletes that literally didn't even show up to any world cup race this season (and some others who didn't have a decent finish -let's say top 15- even in really favourable conditions)...

boh!? :facepalm:

Like who? Now I'm curious :p 

I guess mostly some XC skiers I've never heard of.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like who? Now I'm curious :p 

I guess mostly some XC skiers I've never heard of.. 

yes, Lucrezia Fantelli is one of them, if I remember well

also Sofia Belinghieri in SBX, but her situation is quite different...actually, she's quite promising, but she had a severe injury to her knee before the start of the 1st race of the season, so she hasn't competed in WC yet...

but if she's re-established her health, she could do quite well at the Games...

than there are the XC Skiers...most of them have never been in the top 30 in a world cup race...so, I don't know why they've been named for the Olympic team...I know we have a tradition, but if nowadays we don't have enough decent athletes it's not with 40th place finish that we're going to defend our name in the XC world...:facepalm::wall:

p.s. also Nicol De Lago in Alpine Skiing...she's not at the same level of her teammates...she's not ready for the Olympics yet...

not to mention the Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined guys (apart from Pittin)...

I mean...we have way too many athletes who are not competitive at all in this team and I don't see why* our NOC has to waste a lot of money to fly them to Korea...

*actually I know why they do that...it something involving our strange and complicated organization...it's about politics among the Military Corps that keep our sports (especially the Winter Sports) alive...:facepalm:

Edited by phelps

Well, they have the quota, I see no reason why not to use them, especially in the case of young athletes. Imagine a young athlete being left out now because he/she isn't good enough yet, then growing a lot in the nex 4 years and crumble under the pressure in 2022, because they have no experience with the Olympics. When it's about experienced athletes who are at the end of their careers it's a different story. 

And the ski jumping men definitely deserve a spot there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

well, since we're not a small Nation who can be satisfied just with being part of the Olympics, I think our athletes must at least be "competitive" enough to earn their spot...

and with that I mean they should be at least regular top 15 finishers (with at least a couple of top 5/6 peak results, just to feed at least the hope of a "diploma" result at the Olympics)...

otherwise, there are a lot of competitions that fit better their (poor) quality...

I know it's quite a harsh thought, but that's my opinion...

Edited by phelps

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, since we're not a small Nation who can be satisfied just with being part of the Olympics, I think our athletes must at least be "competitive" enough to earn their spot...

and with that I mean they should be at least regular top 15 finishers (with at least a couple of top 5/6 peak results, just to feed at least the hope of a "diploma" result at the Olympics)...

otherwise, there are a lot of competitions that fit better their (poor) quality...

I know it's quite a harsh thought, but that's my opinion...

Well then the best thing to do is to agree to disagree :p 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

p.s. also Nicol De Lago in Alpine Skiing...she's not at the same level of her teammates...she's not ready for the Olympics yet...

not to mention the Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined guys (apart from Pittin)...

In alpine skiing is the biggest problem.. who is Alex Vinatzer? :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

In alpine skiing is the biggest problem.. who is Alex Vinatzer? :lol: 

oh, I just missed out on his name...

I really can't believe he's in this list...c'mon, man! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

however, this what we know about him:

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=AL&competitorid=204319&type=result

Just now, phelps said:

oh, I just missed out on his name...

I really can't believe he's in this list...c'mon, man! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

however, this what we know about him:

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=AL&competitorid=204319&type=result

Amazing.. what stupid choice :facepalm:Borsotti is better than him :p 

Vinatzer was a little bit too good for the rest at last season's EYOF :d 

IIoHphF.png

Personally I like his inclusion. He's a rather serious slalom talent and if the mentioned Borsotti is this guy, I can understand 100% why one would send Vinatzer instead. Good bit of thinking about the future. 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Vinatzer was a little bit too good for the rest at last season's EYOF :d 

Personally I like his inclusion. He's a rather serious slalom talent and if the mentioned Borsotti is this guy, I can understand 100% why one would send Vinatzer instead. Good bit of thinking about the future. 

A 19 years old whit only 2 WC race can't go the Olympics... they aren't a talent show for young sportman :p