website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

Since there's basically no answers or anything, I've taken the liberty to open a thread for the Tour de Suisse, let's see how that's gonna work out. I do hope there won't be an "omg, you anarchist/rebel!" kind of reaction resulting in the thread being closed :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since there's basically no answers or anything, I've taken the liberty to open a thread for the Tour de Suisse, let's see how that's gonna work out. I do hope there won't be an "omg, you anarchist/rebel!" kind of reaction resulting in the thread being closed :lol:

Cool, so if someone is searching "Tour de Suisse" he/she might find this. :d

Nobody is ever searching for "Road cycling discussion thread". :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Cool, so if someone is searching "Tour de Suisse" he/she might find this. :d

Nobody is ever searching for "Road cycling discussion thread". :p

Exactly! And besides, it's just annoying to talk about several races all in one thread :p (just like Tirreno and Paris-Nice in the beginning of the year) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I preferred the old style where each competition had its own thread and there was one general thread for the sport. But, that was feasible because results and discussion were grouped in the same thread. Without results, it is not advisable to have dedicated thread for each competition because there is no point in having large number of threads with only handful of posts. But, big competitions which generate a lot of chat should definitely have their own separate threads. We can be flexible in it as well. For example, we can start posting about "Tour de Suisse" in "Road cycling discussion thread" and if there is enough buzz, spin off a separate thread. 

19 minutes ago, Dolby said:

I preferred the old style where each competition had its own thread and there was one general thread for the sport. But, that was feasible because results and discussion were grouped in the same thread. Without results, it is not advisable to have dedicated thread for each competition because there is no point in having large number of threads with only handful of posts. But, big competitions which generate a lot of chat should definitely have their own separate threads. We can be flexible in it as well. For example, we can start posting about "Tour de Suisse" in "Road cycling discussion thread" and if there is enough buzz, spin off a separate thread. 

But then you've got the whole thing where first someone has to make a decision about whether or not there are enough posts about it and so on. What is the need of having all these super strict 'rules' all the time? It's not North Korea, there's nothing wrong with opening a thread when there is big news or a big competition. If you open a thread for a competition and there's not enough buzz, so be it, it's not the end of Totallympics. 

I don't read the general basketball thread, but if someone would open a thread when there's some big news I'd definitely read that, and I think I'm not the only one who'd think like that. It's just so weird and useless to have all these subforums for every sport but have every subforum populated with mostly 1 or sometimes 2-3 active threads. It's almost as if people have some sort of irrational fear for threads, but they don't get in the way and they help in making the entire forum more findable. 

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But then you've got the whole thing where first someone has to make a decision about whether or not there are enough posts about it and so on. What is the need of having all these super strict 'rules' all the time? It's not North Korea, there's nothing wrong with opening a thread when there is big news or a big competition. If you open a thread for a competition and there's not enough buzz, so be it, it's not the end of Totallympics. 

I don't read the general basketball thread, but if someone would open a thread when there's some big news I'd definitely read that, and I think I'm not the only one who'd think like that. It's just so weird and useless to have all these subforums for every sport but have every subforum populated with mostly 1 or sometimes 2-3 active threads. It's almost as if people have some sort of irrational fear for threads, but they don't get in the way and they help in making the entire forum more findable. 

Just to clarify I am not saying that moderators or Sindo will decide which threads need to be opened. We ourselves can decide that. For example, you started Tour de Suisse, someone should have started the French Open Tennis thread and so on. 

Just now, Dolby said:

Just to clarify I am not saying that moderators or Sindo will decide which threads need to be opened. We ourselves can decide that. For example, you started Tour de Suisse, someone should have started the French Open Tennis thread and so on. 

Ah, yes. I think if someone is interested in opening a thread about a specific tournament or competition, that should almost be reason enough to do so. If it turns out there's no interest, it'll fade away by itself and there's nothing lost. 

13 minutes ago, bestmen said:

i'm not sure but i think when you open much threads you have to pay much your Website Hosting

I'm not sure neither but I doubt there's a lot of hosting difference between these two examples:

Example 1: 5 threads with 100 posts each

Example 2: 100 threads with 5 posts each

In both examples there's 500 posts :p