website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

1 minute ago, ChandlerMne said:

I still miss that old format of the forum,like it was in 2012. Actually,i enjoyed that period very much. Everything was clearer than nowadays. Even though i am not that regular as few years ago, i would dare to say that many users didnt get used to this new style. We therefore lost many important users. Previous style was great in showing statistics,we could follow number of posts per day,new users and so on. I am not so sure that current forum has this feature,but even if it has,this style isnt user friendly at all. So,i would suggest developing style same as or similar to that old one.

I actually think this forum software is way more user-friendly and much better for the discussion. Also this forum is complete anarchy if you compare it to the "old" Totallympics, and most of the users seem to like anarchy :d

Loosing users is a normal thing and I don't think is related to the software's change, the important thing is to find new ones. We probably lost some users who were just interested in results and not in discussion, that's the reason why they keep visiting the results site and they are not posting their comments in this forum (and in particular in this thread, even though I would need their point of view here :d)

For some interesting statistics, I suggest you to visit the Leaderboard. And as you said you probably just need to get more used to the forum by spending more time on it :yes

1 minute ago, vinipereira said:

This sounds fun, but if I was a new user seeing the "Le Cafe" thread, I wouldn't know what that was about, and I probably wouldn't even click on it to find out :p

I really don't see why. It sound fun, and it has [OFF TOPIC] before. Plus, I've seen names like that at some very busy forums.

Stuff like "General Discussion Thread" sounds like discussion about forum technicalities, now that's what barely anyone would open.

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

This sounds fun, but if I was a new user seeing the "Le Cafe" thread, I wouldn't know what that was about, and I probably wouldn't even click on it to find out :p

I agree, we should avoid non-english words as much as possible. I actually would not really know what a thread named "Le Cafe" is about.

4 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I agree, we should avoid non-english words as much as possible. I actually would not really know what a thread named "Le Cafe" is about.

Yet, if you opened it you'll see heywoodu's perfectly good explanation at the opening post.

Most people would simply realize without even thinking what's the thread about, and those who don't wouldn't get eaten for clicking on it.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Stuff like "General Discussion Thread" sounds like discussion about forum technicalities, now that's what barely anyone would open.

I agree, but "general chat" is fine - and much better than the previous one, I think.

40 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I actually think this forum software is way more user-friendly and much better for the discussion. Also this forum is complete anarchy if you compare it to the "old" Totallympics, and most of the users seem to like anarchy :d

Loosing users is a normal thing and I don't think is related to the software's change, the important thing is to find new ones. We probably lost some users who were just interested in results and not in discussion, that's the reason why they keep visiting the results site and they are not posting their comments in this forum (and in particular in this thread, even though I would need their point of view here :d)

For some interesting statistics, I suggest you to visit the Leaderboard. And as you said you probably just need to get more used to the forum by spending more time on it :yes

Even though i like little bit of anarchysm, stricter moderation is inevitable. Users must be directed to some degree,and i think that old forum was perfect in that sense.

We had similar dialogues before. Forum is actually dependent of users. In order to have quality you first have to build quantity. So every lost user is problematic fact. Even in that old forum we never recovered,in my opinion,after some users stoped visiting (KSR e.g.). I may be wrong,but did we atract more users,as originally planned? I dont think so. So,changes are also inevitable.

You did one great thing by opening subforum with results. By doing that,you provided a chance for us to see results and to talk about events. At least something that reminds me on the good old days. :lol:

Firstly, I want to talk about the 'regime'. I was reading some cross-country skiing threads and noticed that @heywoodu failed to post in the correct one twice. When I reloaded the page, I saw that all three cross-country threads were on the top and I thought it would be funny to poke fun at that, you know, just for shits & giggles. I made a screenshot and precisely picked an off topic thread for general discussions with the sole purpose to make a joke and now it's moved into suggestions & problems thread. You see where this is going? I was making a joke! I was not commenting on an issue of the forum, it was supposed to be simple fun, but now it's in the problem thread :d

Secondly, in my humble opinion, editing posts of users to fit certain standards makes the user feel stupid. No one should feel like they did something wrong, just because they didn't post the right way. I remember even from old Totallympics how many times my font, the size of the letters and colours were changed for stuff like entry lists or even entering a TISC competition. There was only one blue, only one pink, only one green that could be used and if you tried anything different it was changed to be the same like the rest to have a unifying principle. If you misspelled a word in the topic, you could guarantee that it would be edited, because illiteracy would be too difficult to handle here. I know, it's cool to see everything neat and in order, but it only adds a feeling that you're always safeguarded and watched.

Anyways, from my experience of all these years in Totallympics I can say that I developed a fear of opening threads. My last thread that I opened was the TISC that I hosted that had a perfect template made for the first few pages, yet I still felt stress whilst opening it :d Back in old TT, I remember seeing users use different tables and other stuff that I was always unable to re-create and everything would be edited to be perfect no matter how much I tried to come close to those standards. Anyways, throughout the years, I stopped trying to do anything creative here and resigned to just comment on stuff, because that's the only thing that I can do right here.

Final thoughts: a forum should not be alienating its own users. I appreciate your work @Sindo and I appreciate you inviting me here all these years ago. It's not like I'm going to leave, primarily because I would miss all of the emotional ladies of this forum, but I gotta say, that I'm not as active as I used to be, because there's not that many things left to discuss for me. When biathlon season ends and TISC hasn't started yet, pretty much the only posts that I'll be able to make will be me writing about a good Lithuanian result in some thread that no one will care about :d Anyways, that's my two cents in this whole situation.

6 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Firstly, I want to talk about the 'regime'. I was reading some cross-country skiing threads and noticed that @heywoodu failed to post in the correct one twice. When I reloaded the page, I saw that all three cross-country threads were on the top and I thought it would be funny to poke fun at that, you know, just for shits & giggles. I made a screenshot and precisely picked an off topic thread for general discussions with the sole purpose to make a joke and now it's moved into suggestions & problems thread. You see where this is going? I was making a joke! I was not commenting on an issue of the forum, it was supposed to be simple fun, but now it's in the problem thread :d

Yeah, but a discussion started from that message so I moved also your post in this thread. It looks like right now every single moderation action is being watched so carefully that I start to get scared whatever I do :d

9 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Secondly, in my humble opinion, editing posts of users to fit certain standards makes the user feel stupid. No one should feel like they did something wrong, just because they didn't post the right way. I remember even from old Totallympics how many times my font, the size of the letters and colours were changed for stuff like entry lists or even entering a TISC competition. There was only one blue, only one pink, only one green that could be used and if you tried anything different it was changed to be the same like the rest to have a unifying principle. If you misspelled a word in the topic, you could guarantee that it would be edited, because illiteracy would be too difficult to handle here. I know, it's cool to see everything neat and in order, but it only adds a feeling that you're always safeguarded and watched.

You are right about the "old Totallympics", but you for sure can not say the same about the "new Totallympics". As I said, now is complete anarchy compared to the old forum. The thing is that users interested in results only visit the results forum so they are not here to give their opinions.

11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Final thoughts: a forum should not be alienating its own users. I appreciate your work @Sindo and I appreciate you inviting me here all these years ago. It's not like I'm going to leave, primarily because I would miss all of the emotional ladies of this forum, but I gotta say, that I'm not as active as I used to be, because there's not that many things left to discuss for me. When biathlon season ends and TISC hasn't started yet, pretty much the only posts that I'll be able to make will be me writing about a good Lithuanian result in some thread that no one will care about :d Anyways, that's my two cents in this whole situation.

Of course the aim is to have all users active 12 months per year but not always that is possible. Also if you do not want your comments about Lithuanian results to be ignored the aim should be the Lithuanian community to grow, and you can help that by posting messages which maybe initially no one will care about ;)

3 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Of course the aim is to have all users active 12 months per year but not always that is possible. Also if you do not want your comments about Lithuanian results to be ignored the aim should be the Lithuanian community to grow, and you can help that by posting messages which maybe initially no one will care about ;)

Sadly, I have only one Lithuanian friend that cares about sport and he used to be a user here (the story how we met is a pretty funny one :d)

I wouldn't really want to introduce this forum to the scum that comment on sports in our media articles so my hands are pretty much tied at the moment.

If I'd ever come across a person that I'd know would enjoy it here, I would definitely recommend this place, alas, I'm very unlucky at meeting sports enthusiasts since I'm working in the music industry and am mostly surrounded by people who wouldn't be able to name a winter sport in less than 5 seconds.