Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Gianlu33

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

dcro    2,267
33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, what on earth is this? I mean that page :d 

It's the TISC dedicated news site, obviously. :p

First article named "To Infinity And Beyond" pretty much explains everything. :d

• Haha 1

De_Gambassi    236
Sur 30/12/2016 at 21:17 , Sindo a déclaré:

NBForumLogo.png.98b6af187fb78939dbb05300

Hello everyone, 2017 is going to start soon and it's now time to open the new 2017 Discussion Threads for each of the Summer Olympic Sports.

I ask the users, everyone who wants to do that, to open the threads in the next 3 days, so that the threads will be opened by different users.

You can choose one or more sports (let's say no more than 3 per users in the first 24 hours), go in the section, check the 2017 Discussion Thread has not been already opened and open the new thread, with the title SPORT 2017 Discussion Thread, where instead of "SPORT" you obviously write the name of that sport :d.

The first will be empty (don't put any comments there), choose the logo of the sport from this post , where vinipereira has uploaded all the logos, copy and paste it in your thread.

The most discussed sport events will then have a separate thread but we will see during the year how to deal with that.

I have already splitted all the winter sports discussion threads into 2015 - 2016 and 2016 - 2017 Discussion Threads.

Happy 2017 everyone!

21ytw7.jpg

Sindo, why are you doing this ? It doesn't work, it never will . That's not how message boards work....

Sindo    170
1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

21ytw7.jpg

Sindo, why are you doing this ? It doesn't work, it never will . That's not how message boards work....

Not sure to understand what you are talking about. Are you talking about the Discussion Threads ? What is your proposal ?

De_Gambassi    236
Posted (edited)
il y a 32 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

Not sure to understand what you are talking about. Are you talking about the Discussion Threads ? What is your proposal ?

I've allready told you. Let it go.

No official thread, no template, no nothing. Just a bunch of mods that make sure everything stays in place (more or less).

There is not a single exemple of a sucesfull forum anywhere on the internet that works the way you intend to. They let people having their own discussion the way they chose, they don't intend to have every discussions to stick in preconceived spaces. Fundementaly, they let the users to make the forum their own.

Your way doesn't work, it never will.

You could strike gold with this forum, but as long as you stick with this backward policy, it will never reach its potential. Every time, I'm loggin, I'm saddened that basically nothing is going on. You've put up a great tool. Now let people use it, they might surpise you.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Sindo    170
1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

I've allready told you. Let it go.

No official thread, no template, no nothing. Just a bunch of mods that make sure everything stays in place (more or less).

There is not a single exemple of a sucesfull forum anywhere on the internet that works the way you intend to. They let people having their own discussion the way they chose, they don't intend to have every discussions to stick in preconceived spaces. Fundementaly, they let the users to make the forum their own.

Your way doesn't work, it never will.

You could strike gold with this forum, but as long as you stick with this backward policy, it will never reach its potential. Every time, I'm loggin, I'm saddened that basically nothing is going on. You've put up a great tool. Now let people use it, they might surpise you.

I understand your point of view. I don't agree with the view "let the users to make the forum their own", that would be anarchy and I don't believe anarchy could work anywhere, not even on a sports forum.

Anyway, we will try to have more separated threads for competitions in the future so that the discussion threads will be just for smaller events or general news.

De_Gambassi    236
Posted (edited)
il y a 38 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

I understand your point of view. I don't agree with the view "let the users to make the forum their own", that would be anarchy and I don't believe anarchy could work anywhere, not even on a sports forum.

Anyway, we will try to have more separated threads for competitions in the future so that the discussion threads will be just for smaller events or general news.

No, it won't be, not with mods at least. You set up the general guidelines, empower a bunch of mods to enforce them and that's it.

Again, that's how any succesfull forum works And it's not anarchy. If you're into video games, juste have a look at resetera (or neogaf in the past).

Having more separate threads for more competitions is harldly going to make a difference. Just more live short reactions that are not going to make any new user to invest time in this forum (If anything, Twitter is much more suited for that).

That's the in between the sport competitions, your forum could shine. That's the in between that made the gamesbids forum a great place for discussion some years ago (albeit with a very limited scope). There is no other place on the internet where we could have discussion about the future of single distance in speed skating, or the possible disappearance  of athletic tracks for instance. Yet, your policy is making sure that we're never going to have these discussions.

I'm kind of a stadia enthusiast (I used to run a website+forum on this subject). Say someone is posting something about an athletic stadium in the "2018 athletics official discussion" thread (whatever the name...), I may react to it, write a couple of thoughts on it, but hen it's next page, next subject, and the discussion (ot the possibility to have one) is over.

Are you not even curious to see what your forum could become if you just let it be that (a forum) ?

Even, if you're not certain of the outcome, you could open a few sections for a year just to see how things are shaping up. A sort of trial if you want.

Edited by De_Gambassi

LDOG    481

I'm with you in this, obviously as long as they are generic enough topics and not the first thought that comes into the mind of any user.

One thing I have always wanted to do for instance is to open a thread to talk about the history of a specific sport, or open a thread to discuss (or just post content) about past events. I could post about that stuff in the discussion threads, but it would disappoint me to see them being buried under any random silly news that comes out.

Sindo    170
4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I'm with you in this, obviously as long as they are generic enough topics and not the first thought that comes into the mind of any user.

One thing I have always wanted to do for instance is to open a thread to talk about the history of a specific sport, or open a thread to discuss (or just post content) about past events. I could post about that stuff in the discussion threads, but it would disappoint me to see them being buried under any random silly news that comes out.

This is the most important thing. We can move the separation line, but we need to have one.

De_Gambassi    236
il y a 13 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

This is the most important thing. We can move the separation line, but we need to have one.

People usually, don't do that. It's going to be fine, specially with your new mod :d

So.. is it the annoucement of a new policy ?

Sindo    170
22 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

People usually, don't do that. It's going to be fine, specially with your new mod :d

So.. is it the annoucement of a new policy ?

It's not, this has been decided time ago and regardless from the policy :p

De_Gambassi    236
il y a 2 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

It's not, this has been decided time ago and regardless from the policy :p

Will you consider it at the very least ?