website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

32 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I agree with @heywoodu. There is a definite need for more sub-forums here. In the old forum I was way more up-to-date and active in terms of discovering and discussing about events and sports that I generally would not encounter. But here it tends to pass me by because as heywoodu pointed out, I won't click into some threads like "Basketball Discussion Thread" because it generally doesn't interest me. But I probably would click into a thread called "Basketball European Championship News" or something similar to keep myself informed and maybe get a grasp of what is happening.

This could very well be a way to find more users. This forum really needs some fresh blood and hopefully they will have more ideas of how to make it better again. Plus the more users we gain, the greater the chances of gaining more users as more and more people discover Totallympics and spread the news.

Exactly. Same thing with certain big news events or hot topics. At the top of my head I can think of two examples now:

- The Johaug case in cross-country, there's been news about it for quite a while now and it would be way easier to follow that if it has it's own thread (plus if the news about it is 'collected' there, one could even link to it on social media)

- The NHL/Olympics thing, it was never an out-of-the-blue 'BOOM, no NHL players in Pyeongchang' kind of thing, it went on for a long time with regular updates and opinions which I mostly missed because I don't really read the ice hockey general thread.

The strong points of Totallympics, in my opinion, are not that there are results available (if I want cycling results I'll go to PCS, if I want cross-country/alpine skiing/nordic combined/ski jumping results I'll go to the FIS website etc), but that we've got a combined access to an incredible diversity of news and sources, from Dutch to Serbian, Italian to Indonesian etc. I'd be curious to find out how we can use that to our advantage in some way, because I think that's one of the things that makes Totallympics unique (plus the fact there's a place for literally every Olympic sport and a ton of non-Olympic ones).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

My plan for the future is to decide whether a thread "deserves" to be by its own instead of inside the general thread with an objective criteria. The objective criteria is of course how many replies there are about that subject (event-news-general thread, whatever). This is not so easy though because there is not an automatic tool which could split the thread, it should be handled by a person who would split and/or merge threads.

I think this could be a daily "job" for someone who wants to become a moderator and take care of this on a daily basis, checking all the threads and splitting them according to the objective criteria we will have decided. I can not do that right now because I am working far from my home until the end of the year and I want to spend my time on Totallympics mainly on the results portal.     

Any volounteers ? :d

I'm fairly sure I could do that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Deciding if the thread is important enough could also be made some time after it gets opened. If there are not enough replays eventually, it could be merged with the general discussion thread.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Deciding if the thread is important enough could also be made some time after it gets opened. If there are not enough replays eventually, it could be merged with the general discussion thread.

That's what I thought Sindo meant, at least it's what I meant :d 

14 minutes ago, Melonade said:

Ummmmm how did I find this site again

I guess it was the Tour de Suisse that I found this place lol

But I'm more of a tennis/motorsports/athletics fan than cycling

:yes

Found it on Google ? Searching something about Tour de Suisse ?

16 minutes ago, Melonade said:

Ummmmm how did I find this site again

I guess it was the Tour de Suisse that I found this place lol

But I'm more of a tennis/motorsports/athletics fan than cycling

:yes

Stay here a little while and you'll notice you've suddenly added at least 5 more sports to your list :d 

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's what I thought Sindo meant, at least it's what I meant :d 

No, I think dcro meant  the opposite process: having a thread for everything and then merge the threads with very few replies.

I meant the opposite process: having everything together and then split the posts regarding one subject which deserved a dedicated thread.

The first option is a matter of merging, the second option is a matter of splitting.

Both options are ok and the result would be the same, we have to find out which one is the best one in term of time saving for the one who will have to deal with that (heywoodu? :p )

Just now, Sindo said:

No, dcro means the opposite process: having a thread for everything and then merge the threads with very few replies.

I meant the opposite process, having everything together and then split the posts regarding one subject which deserved a dedicated thread.

Both options are ok and the result would be the same, we have to find out which one is the best one in term of time saving for the one who will have to deal with that (heywoodu? :p )

I'd say it could be like this:

If someone feels an event (be it a competition, a race or a news event) is big enough to deserve it's own thread, he/she should feel free to open a thread about it. If it turns out there's not really a lot of interest, someone (like me) could merge it with a general thread, whereas if it generates a little buzz and the person who opened it isn't posting just on his own there, it could be left open.