website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

14 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Not entirely correct, but mostly I agree. But more importantly: no, I don't think this is an issue. 

Number of threads have nothing to do with the memory used in the database.

Another factor to take in mind anyway is that most of the users open the thread from the "latest replies" box at the top of the home page. So a higher number of threads opened also means that other threads will disappear from the latest replies box. And once a thread opened for a news disappear from the latest replies block very few users will see it.

The number of the latest replies is right now 10 threads, it can be changed to whatever number so maybe in the future we could increase to 12 or 15 threads, but not too much otherwise the home page becomes too long to scroll down.

1 minute ago, Sindo said:

Number of threads have nothing to do with the memory used in the database.

Another factor to take in mind anyway is that most of the users open the thread from the "latest replies" box at the top of the home page. So a higher number of threads opened also means that other threads will disappear from the latest replies box. And once a thread opened for a news disappear from the latest replies block very few users will see it.

The number of the latest replies is right now 10 threads, it can be changed to whatever number so maybe in the future we could increase to 12 or 15 threads, but not too much otherwise the home page becomes too long to scroll down.

I agree it shouldn't be too long, but maybe 15 would be ok. Of course I can't speak for the rest, but I think I'm missing half of the potentially (for me) interesting posts because I usually just look at the 'Latest replies' section :p 

And good that the number of threads has nothing to do with the memory, as I thought, so threads for big news like the Nassar case aren't a problem :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I agree it shouldn't be too long, but maybe 15 would be ok. Of course I can't speak for the rest, but I think I'm missing half of the potentially (for me) interesting posts because I usually just look at the 'Latest replies' section :p 

And good that the number of threads has nothing to do with the memory, as I thought, so threads for big news like the Nassar case aren't a problem :)

They could be a problem because someone anyway will have to decide whether any news "deserve" a thread or should go in the discussion thread. To avoid users wake up in the morning and open a thread about what they ate for breakfast.

Anyway, latest replies box increased to 12 threads for the moment, we might upgrade to 15 in the future.

7 minutes ago, Sindo said:

They could be a problem because someone anyway will have to decide whether any news "deserve" a thread or should go in the discussion thread. To avoid users wake up in the morning and open a thread about what they ate for breakfast.

Anyway, latest replies box increased to 12 threads for the moment, we might upgrade to 15 in the future.

That's the entirely opposite extreme situation, but yeah. Anyway, I doubt it would be that bad and if users would feel more free to open threads like this* that might look a lot more 'inviting' towards new users.

*this = like the US Gymnastics thread, not like a 'I ate bread for breakfast' thread

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's the entirely opposite extreme situation, but yeah. Anyway, I doubt it would be that bad and if users would feel more free to open threads like this* that might look a lot more 'inviting' towards new users.

*this = like the US Gymnastics thread, not like a 'I ate bread for breakfast' thread

I thought that was the name of the doping discussion thread  :mumble:

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I have again problems with the emoticon limits, this time in the Team size theared

I have fixed the post but I can not remove the maximum 75 emoticons per post limit, for future additions instead of adding the flag manually, copy it from another thread (for example the 2016 team sizes thread, where there are all the flags you need ;) )