website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't mean it as a diss, I think for smaller sports and competitions that don't have well-known websites for results, the portal can be very useful. For sports like cycling or cross-country/alpine skiing though, I think the specialized big sites are just much more suitable (honestly, not to offend anyone, but I can't think of any reason why someone would go to the Totallympics results portal for a specific cycling result instead of Procyclingstats, or to the results portal for the result of a certain alpine skiing competition instead of fis-ski.com), but that's another discussion. 

I agree something like a logo is fine, no problem, but it should all feel a bit more open for people to post what they want. I'll admit I'm not the best to put my thoughts into words, so...that's not helping :p 

People ARE free to post what they want, because we are just talking about the first post of the thread, not about the whole thread.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Then that's the problem, not user B opening threads in the 'wrong' way. People shouldn't be pushed to open threads in the first place, people should simply feel free to open a thread they want when they see something interesting is coming up and there's no thread yet. 

With "pushing" I was talking about competitions's threads. For example for sure there will be a thread about Tour de France 2018, but if I know you are going to open it without any template, I could even open today threads for Tour de France 2018, 2019 and 2020 (it's anarchy isn't it ? ;) ) and be sure I will be the one who opened that thread and I will do and the only one able to edit it (of course it is an exageration).

Just now, Sindo said:

With "pushing" I was talking about competitions's threads. For example for sure there will be a thread about Tour de France 2018, but if I know you are going to open it without any template, I could even open today threads for Tour de France 2018, 2019 and 2020 (it's anarchy isn't it ? ;) ) and be sure I will be the one who opened that thread and I will do and the only one able to edit it (of course it is an exageration).

Which would make people (like me) rather frustrated and unwilling to enthousiastically post in a thread like that :p 

Yes, I'll open a Tour de France thread and include some useful info in the opening post (like all stage profiles, neatly in a spoiler so it doesn't take a lot of space, and a link or two), because I like to open it like that and I like posting in a thread like that :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't mean it as a diss, I think for smaller sports and competitions that don't have well-known websites for results, the portal can be very useful. For sports like cycling or cross-country/alpine skiing though, I think the specialized big sites are just much more suitable (honestly, not to offend anyone, but I can't think of any reason why someone would go to the Totallympics results portal for a specific cycling result instead of Procyclingstats, or to the results portal for the result of a certain alpine skiing competition instead of fis-ski.com), but that's another discussion. 

I agree something like a logo is fine, no problem, but it should all feel a bit more open for people to post what they want. I'll admit I'm not the best to put my thoughts into words, so...that's not helping :p 

Well, yes, that's because you're a sport aficionado - which I am, but maybe 20% of what you are, so not really (?) :p

Anyway, I don't follow most sports, so sometimes when I want to know certain result about a competition that happened recently, I just go to the results site and see the thing. I think maybe the site should focus on bigger competitions (world and continental) since not everything is important in my point of view - but maybe it is for other people, so who knows.

And, talking about smaller sports and competitions that don't have well-known websites for results, I suggest you see the Paralympics section threads, if you are interested of course - maybe because I post the results there and some things are almost impossible to find!

I still miss that old format of the forum,like it was in 2012. Actually,i enjoyed that period very much. Everything was clearer than nowadays. Even though i am not that regular as few years ago, i would dare to say that many users didnt get used to this new style. We therefore lost many important users. Previous style was great in showing statistics,we could follow number of posts per day,new users and so on. I am not so sure that current forum has this feature,but even if it has,this style isnt user friendly at all. So,i would suggest developing style same as or similar to that old one.

Just now, dcro said:

Well, part about admins "pushing" more desirable users to open threads doesn't sound right...

I should have put "push" into quotes, it was just an example and anyway I could open threads too if I want (I also have the right, after all :d ).

And it's not just about the format, I have asked in the past (and in the future I will do it again for sure) to users to open threads (to heywoodu too) so that users can start dicussing about that event some days before the event start, without the needing to discuss about that event in the general discussion thread.

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Suggestions were for both.

Politics Thread - Politics Lounge

General Chat - Le Cafe

This sounds fun, but if I was a new user seeing the "Le Cafe" thread, I wouldn't know what that was about, and I probably wouldn't even click on it to find out :p