website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

il y a 38 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

I understand your point of view. I don't agree with the view "let the users to make the forum their own", that would be anarchy and I don't believe anarchy could work anywhere, not even on a sports forum.

Anyway, we will try to have more separated threads for competitions in the future so that the discussion threads will be just for smaller events or general news.

No, it won't be, not with mods at least. You set up the general guidelines, empower a bunch of mods to enforce them and that's it.

Again, that's how any succesfull forum works And it's not anarchy. If you're into video games, juste have a look at resetera (or neogaf in the past).

Having more separate threads for more competitions is harldly going to make a difference. Just more live short reactions that are not going to make any new user to invest time in this forum (If anything, Twitter is much more suited for that).

That's the in between the sport competitions, your forum could shine. That's the in between that made the gamesbids forum a great place for discussion some years ago (albeit with a very limited scope). There is no other place on the internet where we could have discussion about the future of single distance in speed skating, or the possible disappearance  of athletic tracks for instance. Yet, your policy is making sure that we're never going to have these discussions.

I'm kind of a stadia enthusiast (I used to run a website+forum on this subject). Say someone is posting something about an athletic stadium in the "2018 athletics official discussion" thread (whatever the name...), I may react to it, write a couple of thoughts on it, but hen it's next page, next subject, and the discussion (ot the possibility to have one) is over.

Are you not even curious to see what your forum could become if you just let it be that (a forum) ?

Even, if you're not certain of the outcome, you could open a few sections for a year just to see how things are shaping up. A sort of trial if you want.

Edited by De_Gambassi

I'm with you in this, obviously as long as they are generic enough topics and not the first thought that comes into the mind of any user.

One thing I have always wanted to do for instance is to open a thread to talk about the history of a specific sport, or open a thread to discuss (or just post content) about past events. I could post about that stuff in the discussion threads, but it would disappoint me to see them being buried under any random silly news that comes out.

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I'm with you in this, obviously as long as they are generic enough topics and not the first thought that comes into the mind of any user.

One thing I have always wanted to do for instance is to open a thread to talk about the history of a specific sport, or open a thread to discuss (or just post content) about past events. I could post about that stuff in the discussion threads, but it would disappoint me to see them being buried under any random silly news that comes out.

This is the most important thing. We can move the separation line, but we need to have one.

il y a 13 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

This is the most important thing. We can move the separation line, but we need to have one.

People usually, don't do that. It's going to be fine, specially with your new mod :d

So.. is it the annoucement of a new policy ?

22 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

People usually, don't do that. It's going to be fine, specially with your new mod :d

So.. is it the annoucement of a new policy ?

It's not, this has been decided time ago and regardless from the policy :p

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

Will you consider it at the very least ?

Of course I will. Also, threads can be opened and when they do not reach a certain level of interest, they can be merged in the discussion thread of that sport some days after the latest reply (so when the thread could be considered as "dead" for that topic).

Very wise words from @De_Gambassi right here. All forums I've ever posted on work because users 'make' the forum. Who cares if for example the football section is a bit different from the biathlon section? Or if the alpine skiing section is different than the cycling section? 

The whole Totallympics concept (international forum with clearly visible and easy to find space for literally every Olympic sport) is something unique on the internet, the concept is brilliant and even though the userbase might not be huge, that part of the concept works. What doesn't work is all the tight and strict ruling and people jumping into panic when someone opens a thread that doesn't follow the traditional guidelines.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 hours ago, Sindo said:

Of course I will. Also, threads can be opened and when they do not reach a certain level of interest, they can be merged in the discussion thread of that sport some days after the latest reply (so when the thread could be considered as "dead" for that topic).

But why would they have to be merged? Imagine someone opens a thread about a news event he/she finds important in that sport (just an example, the Chapecoense plane crash). After a while, that thread doesn't get updated anymore because there's not much news anymore, but there's not a single reason to think "ok, this is not new anymore, time to merge it with a general thread".

A thread will go down by itself once interest levels are getting down, and that's fine. It's how a forum works. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il y a 1 heure , heywoodu a déclaré:

But why would they have to be merged? Imagine someone opens a thread about a news event he/she finds important in that sport (just an example, the Chapecoense plane crash). After a while, that thread doesn't get updated anymore because there's not much news anymore, but there's not a single reason to think "ok, this is not new anymore, time to merge it with a general thread".

A thread will go down by itself once interest levels are getting down, and that's fine. It's how a forum works. 

Besides, some thematic thread (say infrastucture* or history*) might not get a weekly or even monthly bump right now. But it won't mean they are 'dead', some users (even new users !) might read it from time to time and bump it when they have something new to add.

In most places, users are smart enough to see what it is thread worthy and what it's not. In the rare occasions when it's not the case (too redundant, not enough important...), mods close or merge the thread and that's it.That's not a big deal.

* Please Sindo, we don't need an "official 2018 - insert sport - infrastructure thread" in every single section, that's not what I meant.

Edit; I will aslo add that we need a general sport section for discussions that are not directly linked to a sport or the olympics. For exemple, the recent european comission decision on ISU which could have huge repercussions all across the board.

Edited by De_Gambassi