website statistics

Argentina National Thread

LDOG

Ok, @konig what do you think about my predictions? I think I guessed most correctly :d I know argentine mentality too well ;)

The only thing I missed badly was the tennis. I knew Del Potro has the tennis to beat anyone but I think he was helped a lot by the crowd during games. It was like his body was telling him, whenever he was about to lose a set or a game: "you can't give up, you have to win for them". If this tournament had been played anywhere else he would have lost in first round.

Other than that, I had many 100% guesses (athletics, fencing, wrestling, Judo, Golf, Rowing, Cycling Road, Rugby, Basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Triathlon).

Then other sports in which I had accurate guesses but not 100%: 

- I knew Grabich would do bad, but I didn't expect everyone else to also be terrible.

- in Sailing I predicted one medal and 4 medal races and that was exactly the case, but I didn't expect 49er FX and 470 to be the ones to do SO BAD whilst Finn and Laser did well.

- Football was a 50/50 gamble and it went to the disaster side.

- In shooting I got the Gil performance the opposite way. Once again Federico does bad in multi-sport games while his sister does well. Still, this sport is (when you reach a certain level) all luck.

- Handball: our women's team did just as I expected, but our men's team played surprisingly well without Simonet and even won a match. Good for them.

- Boxing: just as I predicted Melian and Peralta lost in QF. However I wasn't expecting all the others to be SO weak.

- Equestrian: the good performance was in individual and not in team as I expected.

Then there is the special case of Hockey....

I knew our guys could win a medal (I have known that for a long time) since we have the best coach and the best corner in the world, but I wasn't expecting a gold, of course (mostly because I never expected Australia to do that bad).

Now the women's team.... what can I say? I had a bad feeling the weeks before the olympics because of the many injuries and the bad preparation schedule (play 7 friendlies one week before the start and fly to Rio just 2 days before the ceremony). Also I saw that the girls did not seem to be very focused in the competition... too many social media stuff, attending the ceremony while they had to play the following day, too many young girls in the squad and lacking a captain with strong personality like Aymar, etc.  I thought however that even all that was going to be enough for a bronze in the worst case, but seems not. Also, I don't like the coach (to me he is like the Julio Lamas of hockey, respected coach but very overrated in my opinion). I'm pretty sure we are going to win the women's Junior WC later this year (or at least play the final), so we should have a very strong team for 2020. But I hope the management of the team is handled better in the future (and hopefully without any "Aníbal Fernández"  inside the federation). 

Now... Buenos Aires 2018. I hope we have a good performance and I wonder in which sport(s) will we see an exciting young promise.

On 25/8/2016 at 04:10, LDOG said:

Ok, @konig what do you think about my predictions? I think I guessed most correctly :d I know argentine mentality too well ;)

The only thing I missed badly was the tennis. I knew Del Potro has the tennis to beat anyone but I think he was helped a lot by the crowd during games. It was like his body was telling him, whenever he was about to lose a set or a game: "you can't give up, you have to win for them". If this tournament had been played anywhere else he would have lost in first round.

Other than that, I had many 100% guesses (athletics, fencing, wrestling, Judo, Golf, Rowing, Cycling Road, Rugby, Basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Triathlon).

Then other sports in which I had accurate guesses but not 100%: 

- I knew Grabich would do bad, but I didn't expect everyone else to also be terrible.

- in Sailing I predicted one medal and 4 medal races and that was exactly the case, but I didn't expect 49er FX and 470 to be the ones to do SO BAD whilst Finn and Laser did well.

- Football was a 50/50 gamble and it went to the disaster side.

- In shooting I got the Gil performance the opposite way. Once again Federico does bad in multi-sport games while his sister does well. Still, this sport is (when you reach a certain level) all luck.

- Handball: our women's team did just as I expected, but our men's team played surprisingly well without Simonet and even won a match. Good for them.

- Boxing: just as I predicted Melian and Peralta lost in QF. However I wasn't expecting all the others to be SO weak.

- Equestrian: the good performance was in individual and not in team as I expected.

Then there is the special case of Hockey....

I knew our guys could win a medal (I have known that for a long time) since we have the best coach and the best corner in the world, but I wasn't expecting a gold, of course (mostly because I never expected Australia to do that bad).

Now the women's team.... what can I say? I had a bad feeling the weeks before the olympics because of the many injuries and the bad preparation schedule (play 7 friendlies one week before the start and fly to Rio just 2 days before the ceremony). Also I saw that the girls did not seem to be very focused in the competition... too many social media stuff, attending the ceremony while they had to play the following day, too many young girls in the squad and lacking a captain with strong personality like Aymar, etc.  I thought however that even all that was going to be enough for a bronze in the worst case, but seems not. Also, I don't like the coach (to me he is like the Julio Lamas of hockey, respected coach but very overrated in my opinion). I'm pretty sure we are going to win the women's Junior WC later this year (or at least play the final), so we should have a very strong team for 2020. But I hope the management of the team is handled better in the future (and hopefully without any "Aníbal Fernández"  inside the federation). 

Now... Buenos Aires 2018. I hope we have a good performance and I wonder in which sport(s) will we see an exciting young promise.

Congratulations for the predictions, your accuracy was impresive, specially for Grabich: i dont see ANYONE apart of you to predict his performance.

In the other hand you were rigth abouth Bermudez but she was very close to be medallist, for me she was a Black horse before the tournament, may be with other if she didnt had that very dificult first match........you underestimate too much Alsogaray :p, he started very  well and be a disaster in the end but with a medal race.

I will go to Buenos Aires 2018, thats 100% sure, i hope i will go to Cochabamba too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2016, the year of world titles for Argentine sport

Spoiler

Olympic Games, 3 Gold Medals

big_0ae1950c9b2538d32de0e81c6e22d938.jpg

GettyImages-590217564-675x400.jpg

0806_pareto_g01_ap.jpg

Spoiler

Futsal World Cup

p23f1-na-.jpg

Spoiler

Davis Cup

not_863902_27_191914_m.jpg

Spoiler

Women's Hockey Junior World Cup

arg.jpg 

And on the other hand...

Spoiler

img_lbuxeres_20160627-095855_imagenes_lv

• 3 months later...
hace 10 minutos, konig said:

Juan De La Fuente is the new coach of Carranza and Lange in Nacra, Lucas Calabrese will compete for U.S.A.....bad news from the sailing.

wtf

Does he have american citizenship? because otherwise I don't know how will he do that.

7 hours ago, LDOG said:

wtf

Does he have american citizenship? because otherwise I don't know how will he do that.

A very good question, i  see this in internet from the journalist Tomas Rodriguez Couto: 

https://twitter.com/TomasRodriguezC/status/841390829105168384

and 

https://twitter.com/TomasRodriguezC/status/841391864326496256

• 2 weeks later...