website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

6 minutes ago, crovitlaci said:

Well, this was his first semifinal ever, he was a complete outsider, why pressure on him? If anyone could have pressure here, it is Novak because he's chasing to get a first RG. I don't see some connections in style with Novak and Thiem, if anyone has similar style to Novak it is Borna (I don't say he is playing like Novak and I don't believe he will have career like him).

haha lol I thought that you speak about Borna, not about Thiem. I agree. Thiem was scared today.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, I don't follow tennis that close as many of you guys and even I am hearing how great of a talent Thiem is all the freaking time :p 

I can imagine there's quite a lot of pressure as the real hope of Austrian tennis.. 

Thiem is very good player. And for sure that in Austria he is now very popular. First player after Jurgen Melzer that can play on high level in single. So, for sure there is pressure.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, I don't follow tennis that close as many of you guys and even I am hearing how great of a talent Thiem is all the freaking time :p 

I can imagine there's quite a lot of pressure as the real hope of Austrian tennis.. 

Nah, for me those things like ''pressure'' are just excuses. :dHe's young, motivated, if ever he shouldn't have that pressure it is now, at least I think so.

Just now, crovitlaci said:

Nah, for me those things like ''pressure'' are just excuses. :dHe's young, motivated, if ever he shouldn't have that pressure it is now, at least I think so.

I think it doesn't really work like that when suddenly a ton of media in your home country is writing about you possibly getting historic results :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, dareza said:

Paes is great guy. He is so positive. Martina with 22 GS titles ;)

It was a message to the opposite side with that reaction.....The rivalry was showing off in the court....The way Paes was going after the points and not trusting Sania, Aggression and final congratulations said it all...

Edited by Prashanth

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

Well, I am far from an expert to be taken seriously, but here are five cents...

First, I LOVE tennis and above all - I always look for high quality.... flags, names are not important then.

Please, stop to expect players like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray today, tomorrow, in a week, a year, two or even a decade. You'll be disappointed big time. Legends don't appear every day. Many players today are very talented but only few are gifted with right physicality, mentality and work ethic. Add talent to that and such player still might not fulfill own potential. Many things have to happen in right time at right place....

Now, I didn't watch Wawrinka-Murray match until the end but from what I saw, Stan failed while Andy wasn't at his best either. Maybe his defence was exceptional though.

Thiem is limited player. He even might win RG some day when "Big 4" retires. Someone mentioned Raonic as a potential GS winner - kill his serve and you'll get an average player. But Raonic, like Thiem, also have good work ethic, they practise a lot and a ready to learn and improve, as much as it is possible, and because of that both of them can hope for even Grand Slam titles. But let them win Masters first! It should be much easier. 

Same applies to Kyrgios. Nadal and Nishikori both exposed Kyrgios poor movement and lack of defence skills. But Nick will be dangerous on grass with his serve and big attacking game.

Unfortunately, we got another Djokovic-Murray final. I HATE, HATE and HATE this match up. It makes nauseous :sick: Now, I say - if Murray wins - and this can happen only if Djokovic breaks under the pressure (his last two matches were scary - fantastic level!!!) - i will stop following men's tennis. I barely got over Murray's Rome title (one legend like Federer couldn't win ti :wall: - and as lover of tennis history I have some order in my mind, don't take me seriously for my "hate on Murray's success on clay" lol). 

I hope Djokovic is finally mentally there and can win this f*cking French Open. He has been one of the best if not the best clay court player in last 5-6 years it would be a shame if he doesn't win it. Shame for tennis as a game, I mean. Murray with RG title is unbearable for me, sorry :d 

People often complain how everything is the same - same people winning all the time. Well you have ATP and a quality at the moment but lack of diversity. Go to WTA you'll get diversity but often ridiculous quality. Unfortunately it will take some time until one of the tours provides both. And I am afraid we'll wait for couple of years.

I understand for game lovers that Djokovic-Murray is not as attractive as Federer-Nadal match up. You always know Nadal is going to win unless he is injured or they play on extra fast court! But I admit - it is always more attractive to watch two different styles clash. People didn't complain that much on endless Federer-Nadal finals....

People are often contradictory. They won't records to be broken and yet they don't want to see same player winning :lol:

That leads to - Djokovic, like Ivan Lendl, will never be accepted as western players were and are and that's it. He has to finally learn to deal with it and ignore rude French crowd on Sunday.

When some of "young" players becomes physically prepared, mentally there and with proper work ethic and talent - we can expect him to start winning majors. 

In my opinion, Raonic, Thiem, Kyrgios - won't be such players. My hope lays on younger players. Generations after 1996.

Coric.. still has many weaknesses. His game reminds me on Djokovic and Murray, mixed. Chung - this guy is sinking at the moment. Rublev - enormous talent but boy, his nerves are from glass :wall: Zverev - talent is there, he's hard worker, but head not on right place at the moment. Fritz, Paul, Kozlov, Tiafoe and rest of new American generation is yet to be seen. Younger high promising prodigies - Auger, Shapovalov, Lee, Kecmanovic, Kuhn, Tsitsipas... Many names are showing great potential but only time will tell. Transition from junior to senior competition is difficult. All aspects - game, physicality and mentality have to follow each other if we want to see some young player winning big titles.

So, stop complain. If you cannot stand Djokovic-Murray match-ups, then avoid them like I will do :d I'll cheer for Novak wholeheartedly of course, and mainly because I 1. dig his game more than Murray's 2. I believe he's better clay court and overall player than Murray 3. he finally wins 4 slams in a row, even if it not CYGS, having all 4 at the same time is astonishing accomplishment; 4. if someone followed his career he knows what how much he had to work on himself to beat Federer and Nadal, to be good enough and challenge them and their achievements. 

If you support Murray, than, I believe you're immensely happy he made the final, completing finals at all four slams and is in definitely huge opportunity to win third different slam! :woot: He's progress on clay is also amazing. Until last two years ago he was mediocre and now has two masters titles in two years and French Open final! :hatoff:

As much as I don't like him - I appreciate his hard work and even his game at some moments. I say - I don't bind myself for a player. All I want is tennis. If Murray shows much better tennis then so let it be it. 

1 hour ago, crovitlaci said:

I don't remember if concurention in men's tennis was ever weaker than now...

Then you must be very young :d

1 hour ago, DaniSRB said:

i would like to see Raonic as no1 when Nole retires

I wouldn't and I think he won't be. There are many exploitable flaws in his game

1 hour ago, crovitlaci said:

I don't see any of them winning it, especially Raonic. Raonic is Karlović at one level higher.

At some degree, definitely.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Ah, right, Serbian heritage :d 

Don't give them ideas. :p