website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Monteiro finally exploded. Last few weeks have been pretty good.

Milojevic disappointed in third set. His serve is awful.

Great set for Danka, but I really hope Petra can win this. If Danka had Kvitova's serve Petra would be out already :facepalm:

Just now, Wanderer said:

Monteiro finally exploded. Last few weeks have been pretty good.

Milojevic disappointed in third set. His serve is awful.

Great set for Danka, but I really hope Petra can win this. If Danka had Kvitova's serve Petra would be out already :facepalm:

Disaster for Milojevic. He had break in 3rd set. :facepalm: I hope Krstin will win today.

17 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Jesus, Ymer lost to Middelkoop :facepalm: Since Caltanisetta title last year, his results are really up and down with no some outstanding flash... I guess we'll need to wait for clay season. Curiously, his younger brother Mikael is much better on hard and fast courts.

Funny that you mention it. I was about to ask you what happened to Ymer, he always seemed to be a pretty interesting prospect, but apparently didnt improve much in the last couple of months. Other young players like Kokkinakis, Rublev (although he recently jumped to 150th in world ranking), Halys, Mmoh or Paul also seem to be a bit behind, compared to Zverev/Fritz/Coric/Kyrgios. The most "shocking" example for me is Kozlov, he competed in the 2014 AO final against Zverev, but no he is only 338th in world ranking.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

17 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Well, Tiafoe has already had positive H2H with Fritz, I think it is 2-0 or 3-0 at junior level. Fritz apparently was under pressure as favourite for the win, big stage... he was rushing on many balls. First two sets were identical, with losers of them committing many errors, low serve percentage. But nevertheless, there were some great flashes from both. 

Zverev definitely has tough task, and he'll need to step up in order to win. 

The race is not over, though I am afraid Lisicki will definitely miss Rio. Upcoming period of year is not the one Sabine fancies the most.

Zverev managed to win in 3 sets, but like expected it was a lot of work. In the next round against Dimitrov he also shouldnt be chanceless. I think it would be cool if he could make the top 50 in world ranking before his 19th birthday. Most of the big players (Federer, Nadal, Murray) have done it and Djokovic entered the top 50 on shortly after his 19th birthday.

I dont think that the H2H is really "important" at such a young age. Fritz clearly improved in the last couple of months, so i thought that he should be able to overcome his problems against Tiafoe. Maybe Fritz isnt yet ready to compete at such a high level every week, which would be normal, considering that he just started to compete on the tour. Maybe he also trains/trained with Tiafoe or competed against him very often in the past, this would explain why Tiafoe knows how to play against Fritz. I dont think that this is in general a bad matchup for Fritz.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Funny that you mention it. I was about to ask you what happened to Ymer, he always seemed to be a pretty interesting prospect, but apparently didnt improve much in the last couple of months. Other young players like Kokkinakis, Rublev (although he recently jumped to 150th in world ranking), Halys, Mmoh or Paul also seem to be a bit behind, compared to Zverev/Fritz/Coric/Kyrgios. The most "shocking" example for me is Kozlov, he competed in the 2014 AO final against Zverev, but no he is only 338th in world ranking.

Well, I would like to believe everyone you mentioned will live up to own potential. I am particularly fond of Rublev, Zverev and Tiafoe. It is still early and apparently they have different paths of development. Some will mature lately, especially mentally. 

Kozlov had series of injuries if I remember well, I guess that is one of the reasons he slowed down in his progress.

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Zverev managed to win in 3 sets, but like expected it was a lot of work. In the next round against Dimitrov he also shouldnt be chanceless. I think it would be cool if he could make the top 50 in world ranking before his 19th birthday. Most of the big players (Federer, Nadal, Murray) have done it and Djokovic entered the top 50 on shortly after his 19th birthday.

I dont think that the H2H is really "important" at such a young age. Fritz clearly improved in the last couple of months, so i thought that he should be able to overcome his problems against Tiafoe. Maybe Fritz isnt yet ready to compete at such a high level every week, which would be normal, considering that he just started to compete on the tour. Maybe he also trains/trained with Tiafoe or competed against him very often in the past, this would explain why Tiafoe knows how to play against Fritz. I dont think that this is in general a bad matchup for Fritz.

Glad to see Zverev won the match! 

It may not be important, and especially won't be important once they start to develop more and play regularly ATP World Tour events, but it can show something. And at this point of their careers, they are more like to junior-themselves than they'll be once in the future. However, I believe Fritz would have won if he had played Memphis-like level.

Tiafoe has so much raw potential. If he continues to improve properly, he'll be amazing player.

Edited by Wanderer