website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Meldonium is not considered as a PED substance by WADA, hence I think she did make an honest mistake, otherwise she would not call a presser and admit it to the whole world. Real cheaters and doppers never get caught anyway. Her ban is being speculated to be 12 months long + fine. Which is fine by me, tbh.

I was really sad when she said "I've let down my fans, I've let down my sport..." Do real cheaters say something like that? Of course not. They usually blame "the others", not themselves. Maria did the opposite - she did say she had only herself to blame for this, which is fair enough.

The best part of the presser was: "If I was ever going to announce my retirement (from tennis), I would never do that in a downtown Los Angeles hotel with a failry ugly carpet". :lol: :bowdown:

Spoiler

Edited by Майкл

23 minutes ago, Майкл said:

Meldonium is not considered as a PED substance by WADA, hence I think she did make an honest mistake, otherwise she would not call a presser and admit it to the whole world. Real cheaters and doppers never get caught anyway. Her ban is being speculated to be 12 months long + fine. Which is fine by me, tbh.

I was really sad when she said "I've let down my fans, I've let down my sport..." Do real cheaters say something like that? Of course not. They usually blame "the others", not themselves. Maria did the opposite - she did say she had only herself to blame for this, which is fair enough.

The best part of the presser was: "If I was ever going to announce my retirement (from tennis), I would never do that in a downtown Los Angeles hotel with a failry ugly carpet". :lol: :bowdown:

Reveal hidden contents

Well that's just confusing. So because athletes who don't get caught are doping, an athlete who announces it herself must have made an honest mistake? 

She started using it before most clinical tests even began (well that's what she said). And yes, there are indeed real cheaters who say they've let down the fans and sport. Because there are more dirty athletes/dopers like Sharapova who admit they were wrong and let everyone down. Of course most don't, but a few of them do, including Sharapova now.

She's either one of the most dumb athletes in the history of sports (using a substance for years that's been on the watchlist for years and then missing each and every announcement that it would become illegal) or an ordinary doper. I'm going for the latter, but at least good for her that her fans think she's just plain stupid instead of a cheater. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that's just confusing. So because athletes who don't get caught are doping, an athlete who announces it herself must have made an honest mistake? 

She started using it before most clinical tests even began (well that's what she said). And yes, there are indeed real cheaters who say they've let down the fans and sport. Because there are more dirty athletes/dopers like Sharapova who admit they were wrong and let everyone down. Of course most don't, but a few of them do, including Sharapova now.

She's either one of the most dumb athletes in the history of sports (using a substance for years that's been on the watchlist for years and then missing each and every announcement that it would become illegal) or an ordinary doper. I'm going for the latter, but at least good for her that her fans think she's just plain stupid instead of a cheater. 

They usually blame 'girls in the club' a'la Gasquet, 'mothers' a'la Čilić, doctors, physios, coaches or even National Federations. But, that wasn't the case with Maria, she showed up there and said she has only herself to blame for this situation. I don't know whether you watched the presser or not, but she did say her family has history with diabetis and heart disease and that's why their family doctor gave her that drug.

She admitted this all is her fault, as she didn't check the list herself, but I bet that doctor has already gotten fired, lol.

And what makes you think she's a cheater? That drug had been legal more than a decade, of course in a test phase, but still. I'm quite sure every single top athlete takes some yet-to-be-illegal drug, just like Maria did. That could be anyone, Ana, Dafne, Novak, Andy, Jusain, Yelena, Serena or any other high-profiled athelete in the world. Human's body is not able to produce such results without any enhencement drugs - that's a fact. I'm not accussing anyone, just stating the obvious. Maria's case is not the lone one unfortunately.

Edited by Майкл

The drug was only placed on the watch list in 2015 and she’s been taking the drug for over a decade for a condition which she has. Did she or her coach know it could enhance her performance? We may never know, but I feel it was more of an added benefit than the primary reason as to why she took it. Regardless she should be punished now that it is a banned substance. Just like in law you can’t claim ignorance and hope to get out of it.

8 hours ago, Майкл said:

They usually blame 'girls in the club' a'la Gasquet, 'mothers' a'la Čilić, doctors, physios, coaches or even National Federations. But, that wasn't the case with Maria, she showed up there and said she has only herself to blame for this situation. I don't know whether you watched the presser or not, but she did say her family has history with diabetis and heart disease and that's why their family doctor gave her that drug.

She admitted this all is her fault, as she didn't check the list herself, but I bet that doctor has already gotten fired, lol.

And what makes you think she's a cheater? That drug had been legal more than a decade, of course in a test phase, but still. I'm quite sure every single top athlete takes some yet-to-be-illegal drug, just like Maria did. That could be anyone, Ana, Dafne, Novak, Andy, Jusain, Yelena, Serena or any other high-profiled athelete in the world. Human's body is not able to produce such results without any enhencement drugs - that's a fact. I'm not accussing anyone, just stating the obvious. Maria's case is not the lone one unfortunately.

What makes me think that she's a cheater is that she used a prohibited substance and there is just no way I'm believing a huge super star like Sharapova really doesn't know it's prohibited. As I said, she's either a cheater or she's one of the dumbest athletes in history of sports..I'm going with cheater. 

And how come that it's all "excuses" when someone blames a girl in a club or their coach, but when Sharapova comes up with a family history it's definitely not an excuse? That doesn't seem to be a very neutral way of thinking. 

Like I said before, I would believe someone who is ranked 1544th or something could make a mistake like this, but one of the biggest super stars in world sports? Only if she really is incredibly stupid, but I don't believe she is. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Russian sport is based on doping, nothing new. How such a great star with great support-team could have "forgot" about list change, why would they hide it. But that`s unimportant, she was using banned substances and i`m hoping for heavy suspension

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

14 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Weird thing as, among many others, if she really needed a drug for supposed decease, why she was prescribed a drug prohibited in USA? She has been living in there for years...

Where do you read that it was prohibited in USA? :)