website statistics

Croatia National Thread

dcro

Really bad draw for our table tennis team, even with a good draw it would have been almost impossible, but now for sure it is (excluding Gacina)

But even Gacina has a tough draw:

First round should be ok, Kosiba (HUN) No. 120

Second round probably Lebesson (FRA) No. 58

But then in the crucial match it will be probably Steger (GER) No. 35 (or maybe Kreanga (GRE))

Tan does not have a easy draw, but that was clear, in first round it is Habesohn (AUT) No 82 and then Apolonia (POR) No 20

Primorac in the first round against M.Karlsson (SWE) No.38 and after that i think it is time to retire for him

The ladies without even small chances:

Tian Yuan in first round against SHAO (POR) No. 58 who lost yesterday to Rakovec, but in 2 nd would wait the best European Han (GER) no 9 in the world. Rakovec against Hu (TUR) No 21 and Tubikanec against YU (POR) no. 41.

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

Really bad draw for our table tennis team, even with a good draw it would have been almost impossible, but now for sure it is (excluding Gacina)

But even Gacina has a tough draw:

First round should be ok, Kosiba (HUN) No. 120

Second round probably Lebesson (FRA) No. 58

But then in the crucial match it will be probably Steger (GER) No. 35 (or maybe Kreanga (GRE))

Tan does not have a easy draw, but that was clear, in first round it is Habesohn (AUT) No 82 and then Apolonia (POR) No 20

Primorac in the first round against M.Karlsson (SWE) No.38 and after that i think it is time to retire for him

The ladies without even small chances:

Tian Yuan in first round against SHAO (POR) No. 58 who lost yesterday to Rakovec, but in 2 nd would wait the best European Han (GER) no 9 in the world. Rakovec against Hu (TUR) No 21 and Tubikanec against YU (POR) no. 41.

This tournament is becoming really irrelevant for us.

Gaćina is 100% qualified for Rio (not 99.9%, 100%), completely irregardless of what he does here. He is 19th in the World ranking.

Others, well, they need a miracle basically. Rakovac ruined everything today. Yesterday she defeated one of the good players from Portugal, but today she lost to Greece (!!). Greece is good in men's table tennis, but their women's team is quite weak to say the least. Tan also lost to a player who probably doesn't have a chance here. Though Tan might have a chance in rankings, at least...

Qualification system was much better back in 2012 when the rankings were established before continental qualifications. This time the best players will qualify through continental tournaments while those 2nd tier players will qualify through rankings... 3rd tier players don't have a chance to beat top players at QTs or to qualify via rankings. Ranking qualification is always bad for the teams with limited resources...

#banbestmen

Table Tennis:

Tan was really close to a win against Appolonia. Really a pity, would have helped him in ranking as well.

Bad luck, lets see what happens tomorrow. Primorac and the ladies out as expected. Gacina is in the final, but who cares. Actually it would be better he looses, the German will not get quota anyway (Boll will have it and Ovtcahrov), which means there is one more quota for tomorrow. 

Wrestling:

Very interesting nomination.

As expected in 66kg Etlinger, 85kg Zugaj, 130kg Lavric

But surprises in 59kg (Ivan Loncaric) and 75kg Starcevic. I did not expect they will dare not to nominate the other Zugaj brother.

And who is Loncaric, never heard before.

Draw for Loncaric: first round Moldova, and then probably Russia :(

Draw for Etlinger: first AZE then TUR /LTU, :(

Primorac was close to leading 3-2 in sets, but gave away  10-7 lead in the fifth set. I expected him to have no chance against Karlsson after the previous games.

Primorac and the ladies are not official out yet, are they? Don't know if I understood the playing System correctly.

Is it correct that Ivan Dodig could choose any Partner if he makes doubles top 10? He and Skugor have worked together quite good lately. 

But chances that he will make top 10 are not that good because the points from last year's French Open will drop.

29 minutes ago, Milan said:

Primorac was close to leading 3-2 in sets, but gave away  10-7 lead in the fifth set. I expected him to have no chance against Karlsson after the previous games.

Primorac and the ladies are not official out yet, are they? Don't know if I understood the playing System correctly.

Is it correct that Ivan Dodig could choose any Partner if he makes doubles top 10? He and Skugor have worked together quite good lately. 

But chances that he will make top 10 are not that good because the points from last year's French Open will drop.

All our table tennis players will have a chance tomorrow again.

But for ladies there will be only 3 quotas and 56 players. For men 2-4 quotas and also 56 players

Dodig, yes if he in Top Ten he can choose his partner and they will be qualified to the tournament, independent of the ranking of his partner. Actually i think he might play rather with Draganja.  Hopefully not with Cilic. With Cilic he would be safe as well (independent of top ten ranking)

23 hours ago, prso1000 said:

All our table tennis players will have a chance tomorrow again.

But for ladies there will be only 3 quotas and 56 players. For men 2-4 quotas and also 56 players

Dodig, yes if he in Top Ten he can choose his partner and they will be qualified to the tournament, independent of the ranking of his partner. Actually i think he might play rather with Draganja.  Hopefully not with Cilic. With Cilic he would be safe as well (independent of top ten ranking)

I'm afraid that it will be Čilić whatever happens. They are big friends after all... ;)

#banbestmen

On 14.04.2016. at 7:56 PM, prso1000 said:

But surprises in 59kg (Ivan Loncaric) and 75kg Starcevic. I did not expect they will dare not to nominate the other Zugaj brother.

Looks like they (Lizatović and Žugaj) are being "saved" for the tournament in Mongolia next week.

#banbestmen

what a disaster week for us so far:

- boxing: i did not really expect too much, but 3 losses in first round is really bad. Marsic and Babic at least got to 1/4 finals

- Table tennis: without qualification, ok gacina will qualify, but only 1 player in Rio is really dissapointing, and i dont think we have a chance via ranking, unless one of them wins some tournament until end of april, but i think it is only 1 left

- wrestling: ettlinger few seconds away from Rio, starcevic very close against nemes, and zugaj lost again,

Lets hope at least Ude and Derek do better

5 hours ago, prso1000 said:

what a disaster week for us so far:

- boxing: i did not really expect too much, but 3 losses in first round is really bad. Marsic and Babic at least got to 1/4 finals

- Table tennis: without qualification, ok gacina will qualify, but only 1 player in Rio is really dissapointing, and i dont think we have a chance via ranking, unless one of them wins some tournament until end of april, but i think it is only 1 left

- wrestling: ettlinger few seconds away from Rio, starcevic very close against nemes, and zugaj lost again,

Lets hope at least Ude and Derek do better

Well, you can see Starčević's match at UWW website. Judge for yourself if the winner was right...

Meanwhile, we can already say that Ude is 100% qualified for Rio after 1st subdivision. Ude scored 85.599. Only Colombia and Armenia finished ahead (from those nations vying for quota places).

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Well, you can see Starčević's match at UWW website. Judge for yourself if the winner was right...

Meanwhile, we can already say that Ude is 100% qualified for Rio after 1st subdivision. Ude scored 85.599. Only Colombia and Armenia finished ahead (from those nations vying for quota places).

already second time that Nemes wins against a croatian not in a "clean" way in a very short period. (Zugaj at ECH)

I hope Starcevic will have one more chance. He is fighting for Bronze here.

Let see what our team can do in Ulan Bator and actually who will be there.

Yes Ude is thorugh, nothing can happen to him. I hope Derek will make it too.