Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


dcro

Croatia National Thread | Na putu za Tokio 2020

Recommended Posts

dcro    1,756

Marijana Mišković won the judo continental open in Morocco. That should increase her Olympic chances.

 

Zlatko Kumrić competes tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prso1000    21

Does someone know who will represent Croatia at the wrestling European QT in Zrenjanin?

I assume Lizatovic (59) and Nenad Zugaj (85) are safe. Questionmark if they will send Lavric (130), i hope yes, altough i think he does not have any chance.

and then of course the other two categories with two candidates in each

66: Ettlinger/Janecic

75: N: Zugaj/Starcevic

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    1,756
3 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Does someone know who will represent Croatia at the wrestling European QT in Zrenjanin?

I assume Lizatovic (59) and Nenad Zugaj (85) are safe. Questionmark if they will send Lavric (130), i hope yes, altough i think he does not have any chance.

and then of course the other two categories with two candidates in each

66: Ettlinger/Janecic

75: N: Zugaj/Starcevic

 

 

I would be very surprised if Etlinger and Žugaj don't get selected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prso1000    21
Just now, dcro said:

 

I would be very surprised if Etlinger and Žugaj don't get selected.

I agree regarding Etlinger, but despite the fact that Zugaj was fifth in ECH, Starcevic made a better impression over last year. Lets see maybe they will sort of combine it. For example: Zugaj European QT and the first World QT, and if he does not qulify then Starcevic for the second World QT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    1,756

Or maybe Žugaj to Europeans and then Starčević to 1st World QT. Europeans in Serbia and 1st Wolrd QT in Mongolia are just one week apart, so it could be practical. Though, if I remember well, one of the World QTs back in 2012 was held somewhere in Asia and our federation didn't bother to send anyone there. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with this Mongolia tournament.

 

Main goal should be to qualify at least 1 wrestler. We have a chance in -59, -66, -75 and -85 in greco-roman, but none of them can be too sure about qualification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prso1000    21

We have currently 49 Quotas, obviously there will be athletes in Rio than in London, but still few chnaces to get the number increased.

Here a list of canidates i still see having chnaces. But it is rather a very optimistic list:

 

Archery: very small chances for Mihalic

Athletics: I think it will be very difficult to increase the number further, but few still have a chance as V. Muzaric (shot put), D. Daly (marathon), M. Markovic (discus), R. Varga (discus) and with very small chances L. Pokos (200m). M. Parlov (distance1500-5000), M. Greguric (hammer). I guess one additonal quota would be a huge success.

Badminton: I was hoping that Djurkinak can qualify, but no chance. I hope our federation will apply for a invitation place. I guess the invitations will go to Europe/Americas.

Basketball: i doubt our men will qualify, but let see

Boxing: i still hope we have a chance for a third athlete in Rio. Komadina, Babic, Filipi, Calic etc. There are few candidates. I have no clue about our woman team.

Canoeing Slalom: One quota left for Europe, that will be really hard

Canoeing Sprint: I dont think we have a chance, but Novakovic is a promise for Tokio

Diving: Maric should be in, i hope

Gymnastics: Ude and Djerek should qualify

Handball: that is one of my big worries, we have to play against Norway and Denmark for two spots, in Denmark. It would be a desaster if we dont qualify

Judo: Barabara Matic seems to be safe. I hope Z. Kumric and M. Miskovic will manage it as well.

Rowing: Very small chances for Milosevic sisters and Sain/Cavrlj

Sailing: next week we will know more, but i still hope our female 49er and RSX (men) will qualify

Swimming: Karla Sitic in open water is realistic, but not sure. In swimming i think realistic chances to reach A standard have Ana Radic, Fran Krznaric and Anton Loncar. Other candidates who could manage via invitation are M. Todorovic, Krce-Ribar, Tomic, maybe Obrovac. I guess 4 or 5 swimmers will qualify including Samardzic.

Table Tennis: Gacina is going to qualify for sure, i hope he will manage already at the EQT in April. Others probably have to go via this tournament other wise it will be very difficult to be among the 22 best not qulified. I guess 2 men and 1 woman will be qualified.

Tennis: That is really a diffcult one. Cilic, Coric and Dodig are safe. I guess Karlovic and Lucic-Baroni cannot play at Olympics. Konjuh and Vekic have to play well in the next two months to be among the 56. And then it depends how we will nominate the doubles and/or mixed. But could be up to 6 players in total.

Wrestling: 4 candidates, 2 qualifiers would be great. I still dont understand why we dont have any freestyle wrestlers.

 

Overall it looks like something between 80-90 athletes, much less than in London (due to teamsports), but with many medal candidates.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prso1000    21
6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Or maybe Žugaj to Europeans and then Starčević to 1st World QT. Europeans in Serbia and 1st Wolrd QT in Mongolia are just one week apart, so it could be practical. Though, if I remember well, one of the World QTs back in 2012 was held somewhere in Asia and our federation didn't bother to send anyone there. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with this Mongolia tournament.

 

Main goal should be to qualify at least 1 wrestler. We have a chance in -59, -66, -75 and -85 in greco-roman, but none of them can be too sure about qualification.

In wrestling it depends very much on draw, too much in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    1,756
5 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

We have currently 49 Quotas, obviously there will be athletes in Rio than in London, but still few chnaces to get the number increased.

Here a list of canidates i still see having chnaces. But it is rather a very optimistic list:

 

Archery: very small chances for Mihalic

Athletics: I think it will be very difficult to increase the number further, but few still have a chance as V. Muzaric (shot put), D. Daly (marathon), M. Markovic (discus), R. Varga (discus) and with very small chances L. Pokos (200m). M. Parlov (distance1500-5000), M. Greguric (hammer). I guess one additonal quota would be a huge success.

Badminton: I was hoping that Djurkinak can qualify, but no chance. I hope our federation will apply for a invitation place. I guess the invitations will go to Europe/Americas.

Basketball: i doubt our men will qualify, but let see

Boxing: i still hope we have a chance for a third athlete in Rio. Komadina, Babic, Filipi, Calic etc. There are few candidates. I have no clue about our woman team.

Canoeing Slalom: One quota left for Europe, that will be really hard

Canoeing Sprint: I dont think we have a chance, but Novakovic is a promise for Tokio

Diving: Maric should be in, i hope

Gymnastics: Ude and Djerek should qualify

Handball: that is one of my big worries, we have to play against Norway and Denmark for two spots, in Denmark. It would be a desaster if we dont qualify

Judo: Barabara Matic seems to be safe. I hope Z. Kumric and M. Miskovic will manage it as well.

Rowing: Very small chances for Milosevic sisters and Sain/Cavrlj

Sailing: next week we will know more, but i still hope our female 49er and RSX (men) will qualify

Swimming: Karla Sitic in open water is realistic, but not sure. In swimming i think realistic chances to reach A standard have Ana Radic, Fran Krznaric and Anton Loncar. Other candidates who could manage via invitation are M. Todorovic, Krce-Ribar, Tomic, maybe Obrovac. I guess 4 or 5 swimmers will qualify including Samardzic.

Table Tennis: Gacina is going to qualify for sure, i hope he will manage already at the EQT in April. Others probably have to go via this tournament other wise it will be very difficult to be among the 22 best not qulified. I guess 2 men and 1 woman will be qualified.

Tennis: That is really a diffcult one. Cilic, Coric and Dodig are safe. I guess Karlovic and Lucic-Baroni cannot play at Olympics. Konjuh and Vekic have to play well in the next two months to be among the 56. And then it depends how we will nominate the doubles and/or mixed. But could be up to 6 players in total.

Wrestling: 4 candidates, 2 qualifiers would be great. I still dont understand why we dont have any freestyle wrestlers.

 

Overall it looks like something between 80-90 athletes, much less than in London (due to teamsports), but with many medal candidates.

 

There are also Nikolina Šuštić and Barbara Belušić that are pretty close to marathon qualification. One of them should be able to join.

 

In canoeing slalom we have Matija Marinić, European U23 champion some 2-3 years ago. We have a tradition in this sport (competed at every Olympics since 1992), but it's going to be a lottery with only one quota available. It really is a lottery, you touch a gate and you get 2 seconds penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    1,756

And there is also an outside chance in fencing (foil). We have a couple of fencers that are actually not bad at all. But it is going to be an uphill battle for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prso1000    21
33 minutes ago, Crolympic said:

Is there any chance for Mia Radotic in women's cycling?

theoretically yes

she has to be among 100 in the olympic ranking as of end of may, currently she is 182nd,

she would need one or two great results at important races

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    1,756

But the injury that she sustained in a crash last year didn't help at all. She was just hitting the top form and started collecting some qualification points when it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×