website statistics

Diving Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

hckošice

21 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

From the previous Games, both Sho Sakai and Ken Terauchi denied their places for London 2012, though they had finished within the top 16 at the FINA World Cup. 

Source

The actual national qualification system is more complicated than what I posted (a diver has to finish top16 in 2016 world cup and finish top12 in an imaginary list of world cup semifinalists, which excludes divers from nations winning quotas at 2015 world championships and asian cup) 

2012 qualification rule was more severe(a diver had to finish top 3  in a list of 2012 world cup semifinalists, which excluded already-qualified divers, so Sakai was placed fourth in the list)

Sorry for my confusing post

Edited by NatsutoFuyu

• 2 weeks later...

Mexican Federation has made public the names of the divers that will compete in Rio. Out of 8 places in men's events, they will take 5 divers and out of 6 in women they will send 4.

Men's 3m Sprinboard:  Rommel Pacheco, Rodrigo Diego

Men's 3m Synchronized Springboard: Rommel Pacheco/Jahir Ocampo

Men's 10m Platform: Ivan Garcia, German Sanchez

Men's 10m Synchronized Springboard: Ivan Garcia/German Sanchez

Women's 3m Springboard: Dolores Hernandez/Melany Hernandez

Women's 10m Platform: Paola Espinosa, Alejandra Orozco

Women's 10m Synchronized Springboard: Paola Espinosa/Alejandra Orozco

Among them, the only real contenders for the podium are Rommel Pacheco and Garcia/Sanchez, while Garcia in individual platform, Espinosa/Orozco and Pacheco/Ocampo in synchro are outside contenders, of course, if they manage to be in top form (and judges favor).

• 1 month later...
On 15.03.2016. at 10:47, heywoodu said:

Someone else (non-Dutch) is likely to get Jansen's quota, unless she gets 305+ points in 2 of her remaining 3 competitions..

Do you have any updates on this? I see that she didn't make the standard in Gatineau.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Do you have any updates on this? I see that she didn't make the standard in Gatineau.

I haven't read anything, but if she's not making the standards I guess she won't go to Rio..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Today Brazil has selected the athletes for 2 of the synchronized events (source):

Men's 10m Synchronized Platform: Hugo Parisi and Jackson Rondinelli

Women's 3m Synchronized Springboard: Juliana Veloso and Tammy Galera

Parisi and Veloso were already qualified for individual events, so that should reduce our total number of qualified athletes. Brazilian trials will continue tomorrow and we will know the qualified pairs for the other events.

Brazil completed the Diving team today with the remaining synchronized events:

Men's 3m Synchronized Springboard: Ian Matos and Luiz Felipe Outerelo (source)

Women's 10m Synchronized Platform: Ingrid Oliveira and Giovanna Pedroso (source)

Our complete team (9 athletes)

Men's

César Castro – 3m Springboard

Hugo Parisi – 10m Platform / 10m Synchronized Platform

Ian Matos – 3m Synchronized Springboard

Jackson Rondinelli – 10m Synchronized Platform

Luiz Felipe Outerelo – 3m Synchronized Springboard

Women's
Giovanna Pedroso – 10m Synchronized Platform
Ingrid Oliveira – 10m Synchronized Platform
Juliana Veloso – 3m Springboard / 3m Synchronized Springboard
Tammy Galera Takagi – 3m Synchronized Springboard

Apparently Brazil still can qualify an athlete for men's individual platform (Isaac Souza Filho), and Ingrid Oliveira maybe will take part of the individual event.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like South Africa made an exception to their own rules, as they accepted diving quota in women's springboard. In some other sports (like gymnastics and canoeing) they didn't accept continental quotas as we expected... http://www.sascoc.co.za/2016/05/25/initial-names-announced-for-team-sa-at-the-2016-rio-olympics/

This probably means no reallocaion and the first diving participation for Croatia. :bye:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how big are chances to see Polish diver in Rio? I remember that we qualified provisionaly one diver via World Cup in February, but later he dissapear from list of qualified divers. We will know this after end of reallocation process?

50 minutes ago, rybak said:

Anyone know how big are chances to see Polish diver in Rio? I remember that we qualified provisionaly one diver via World Cup in February, but later he dissapear from list of qualified divers. We will know this after end of reallocation process?

It will come down to how many divers overlap between the 3m synchro and 3m individual events. Poland is currently third on the wait list meaning it can only afford up to four athletes from nations which qualified to the synchro event to not be selected to compete in the individual event. Overall it is hard to say. Looking at 2012 Poland would have just missed it, but it could be different this year, I say about 50%.

27 minut temu, JoshMartini007 napisał:

It will come down to how many divers overlap between the 3m synchro and 3m individual events. Poland is currently third on the wait list meaning it can only afford up to four athletes from nations which qualified to the synchro event to not be selected to compete in the individual event. Overall it is hard to say. Looking at 2012 Poland would have just missed it, but it could be different this year, I say about 50%.

Thanks, let's hope that this time Poland will have diver first time since Barcelona Games :fingers: