website statistics

European Championships 2018

Totallympics

4th, I've always said these European Championships should be considered as one big event and this medal table means a lot :old:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I heard somewhere, that they are envisaging to continue this project in 4 years again, and apparently some new Sports federations already presented their interest to enter this project. so let see, if this "event" will have some bright future and replace the European "joke" Games.

From our view, a bit disappointing games, we expected two medals from Tóth and Sagan, but sadly Peter is still not OK as we could see today, anyway, he is a great champion, and when he´ll recover he´ll be again back on the top, no doubts about. Tóth was our favorite for gold, but the weather was his biggest opponent and he finished second (After a immense fight) so ok with this too.

There were no expectations from our other participants here, but only 1 medal is really too small, ofc the fact that some sports were missing didn´t helped our chances like Shooting (Or shooters won 7 medals from senior events at the currently held Europeans Shotgun championships) + no canoeing here obviously reduced our chances too.

According to the french athletics federation president, Rome could be in the mix for 2022.

Anyway, i really do think this thing will turn into the mid olympiad continental rendez-vous we all wish for. They 've done it the right way. Secure the most popular sports and make sure it's the real thing, and then expand from it.

The EG can GTFO and take taekwondo with them.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Good championships for the Dutch with golden medals in many different disciplines. These were my highlights from a Dutch perspective:

• First golden medal in diving in a very long time;
  • Sharon van Rouwendaal winning 3 golden medals in open water swimming, just missing out on a fourth golden medal today, helping the Netherlands win the medal table in open water swimming.
  • Winning the medal table in track cycling with 5 golden medals;
  • Four Dutch women in the final of the BMX tournament;
  • Sanne Wevers winning gold on balance beam again after a rough two-year period after Rio 2016;
  • Sifan Hassan dominating the 5.000m today.

At the same time, the Netherlands also had the most successful sailing world championships ever (winning the medal table) and the Dutch team won the hockey world championships in a very dominant fashion. So overall, August has been a great sporting month for us so far.

Other achievements that I was very impressed by include the men's pole vault competition, Kolesnikov dominating the backstroke sprints, the Ingebritsen brothers winning gold and silver with Jakob winning two titles within 24 hours, and Dina Asher-Smith dominating the women's sprints with three golden medals.

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

I heard somewhere, that they are envisaging to continue this project in 4 years again, and apparently some new Sports federations already presented their interest to enter this project. so let see, if this "event" will have some bright future and replace the European "joke" Games.

From our view, a bit disappointing games, we expected two medals from Tóth and Sagan, but sadly Peter is still not OK as we could see today, anyway, he is a great champion, and when he´ll recover he´ll be again back on the top, no doubts about. Tóth was our favorite for gold, but the weather was his biggest opponent and he finished second (After a immense fight) so ok with this too.

There were no expectations from our other participants here, but only 1 medal is really too small, ofc the fact that some sports were missing didn´t helped our chances like Shooting (Or shooters won 7 medals from senior events at the currently held Europeans Shotgun championships) + no canoeing here obviously reduced our chances too.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

He always been a classy dude (albeit a little bit of a showboat)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Il 8/8/2018 Alle 08:33, De_Gambassi ha scritto:

So these European Championships... are they working in your countries ? (from a media point of view I mean)

In France, at least, it's a strong yes. Some sports that never get broadcasted on public channels get some well derserved air time. The championships are on TV 10 hours a day, including a good amount of time on one of the main channels. I gives us a slight olympic vibe (and not a fake copy one like the European Games). They are commonly covered by the radio, or the press.

For sports like gymnastics or rowing it's day and night whth what they're used to. And i'd say it even works in favor of swimming and athletics.I mean an euro title in these sports are usually small business and not frontpage worthy, and yet...

Screenshot_2.jpg.cbf6151cf2b728fb279765a903928b3a.jpg

I even wonder if gymnastics or rowing ever made the front page outside of the olympics. Definitly, a media succes.

in Italy they've been a huge success...

our public TV broadcasted almost every event, with 2 tv channels covering many hours a day (and 6 streams on theur website covering evrything in full)...

and also the tv ratings were getting better and better day by day, always keeping above the average numbers of the tv channel where they were broadcasted (and despite the time of competition was definitely not the best possible for the Italian tv viewers, with swimming finals in the afternoon -in the traditional hottest holiday week of the Summer- and athletics ending always too early -our primetime nowadays is from 21.15/21.30 to 23/23.30).

of course the excellent results (except for athletics and gymnastics, even if the junior gymnasts dominated the field both among the girls and the boys, but of course those events were not shown on tv) did help a lot.

and because of that, now it comes the worst part of it...it's strongly believed that Italy will host the next edition in 4 years time, thanks to a strong Rome bidding (by the time, the current disaster of a Mayor, Virginia Raggi, would be gone...so, non problem because of that)...:cry::facepalm:

a farce like the 2026 Winter Olympics bid wasn't enough...now we have to cope also with this one...:wall::wall::wall:

God (or whoever has a chance to do it), please...save us!!!

Il 7/8/2018 Alle 14:13, hckosice ha scritto:

Too bad shooting and canoeing aren´t included in this multisport separate championship

Shooting will surely be part of it in 4 years time, if the Championships are hosted in Rome...

and probably a few more disciplines (a couple of fighting sports between Judo, Wrestling or Taekwondo, too)...

In the Netherlands Eurosport showed a lot, as they would have done anyway.

The Dutch public broadcaster showed a bit less swimming and athletics than usual, as so often focussing more on talking about the sports than showing the sports ("We want to bring the stories. If a Cuban is fencing against a Hungarian, that is irrelevant for us." is a famous quote of the broadcaster boss before the Olympics). They showed some gymastics as they would do anyway (just not Epke Zonderland's final live on TV, since that was at the same time as when they have to show the Dutch football competition highlights, by law), cycling as they would do anyway and that's about it.

Nothing special and in the end it was basically treated as separate European championships. 

Personally I'm not sure what I hope for the future of this. Normally there would be several European championships in June, July, August, September, and now they're all crammed in two weeks... :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!