Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

juddy96

Canada National Thread

ofan    18

Wow! Another exciting day, highlighted by Alex Gough making history in winning Canada's first ever luge medal. Truly historic after three 4th place finishes in luge in Sochi. 

The Canadian mixed doubles team dominated from start to finish in the final. Congrats to John Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes for capturing the inaugural gold medal in that event, and dominating throughout the entire competition

In short track, unfortunate to see Marianne DQd at the start, but great to see a medal from Kim Boutin in the women's 500m. She's 4th in the World Cup so it was nice to see her on the podium. And it's only the beginning as she's currently ranked 1st in the 1000m and 3rd in the 1500m. Look out for her as we go forward for more potential short track medals. 

Again, to no surprise the Women's hockey team defeats Finland. Looking forward to the premier matchup against out neighbours to the South on Thursday. 

Tomorrow will be a great chance to catch our breath, as we likely won't see any Canadian medals. There's an outside shot for Walker/Smith in Luge Doubles, but that's about it. On the brighter note our men's curlers start their Gold Medal defense against Italy and Team GB tomorrow. 

orangeman    82

Yup, pretty good day for Canada.  I predicted 3-4 medals, and they delivered.  Short track was messy, basically had a mini-stroke in the men's relay.  Boutin may have gotten lucky, but it makes up for St-Gelais.  Was hoping to see both of them on the podium, but oh well.  I had the pleasure of seeing short track in Shanghai a few months ago and Boutin really looks fantastic.  I have high hopes for her in the other races, but there's always so much going on.  

Gough was consistent enough to get a medal, and you can't help but feel great for her after Sochi.  The other Canadians did great as well.  A concern is that De Haitre looked hurt or something in his race.  He's got the 1000m, which he is better at, in a few days so I hope he gets on form by then.  Another concern is Alex Harvey blowing it in the sprint qualification.  Maybe he's focusing on other races?  Or is this another 'miss' at the Olympics?  

10 medals in 7 sports so far with chances in hockey, skeleton, bobsleigh, x-country and possibly alpine still to come.  The Dutch can win all the speed skating medals and Norwegians can get 12 golds with 3 athletes in cross-country, but Canada is probably the most well rounded winter sports country.  

Edited by orangeman
  • Haha 1

Overall a very good day for Canada, we grabbed curling gold and won medals in the two "maybe events." Good win for our women's ice hockey team and good initial races in short track. It's a shame that Canada failed to advance to the finals in men's snowboard half-pipe. Tomorrow will be a quiet day, only men's doubles luge has a chance (and even then it's a very small one). The day will however set things up for a few events; men's curling will have its first two matches and pairs figure skating will have its short program.

james89    6

It was a good day overall. De Haitre really didn't look good at all, luckily his foot will probably be healed by the time the 1000m roles around on the 23rd.

As expected quiet day for Canada in terms of medals, with the doubles luge finishing in fifth. Men's curling is off to a great start with two victories and the pairs figure skating is 3rd after the short skate though seven pairs are within three points and will fight tomorrow for bronze. Tomorrow has the potential for being a big day for Canada.

james89    6
16 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

As expected quiet day for Canada in terms of medals, with the doubles luge finishing in fifth. Men's curling is off to a great start with two victories and the pairs figure skating is 3rd after the short skate though seven pairs are within three points and will fight tomorrow for bronze. Tomorrow has the potential for being a big day for Canada.

I think the pairs medal may bit a bit much to wish for. I think our best medal hope tomorrow is Ted-Jan Bloeman in the 10,000m. But looking good in the Luge and I would not rule out the Men's Snowboardcross either. 

57 minutes ago, james89 said:

I think the pairs medal may bit a bit much to wish for. I think our best medal hope tomorrow is Ted-Jan Bloeman in the 10,000m. But looking good in the Luge and I would not rule out the Men's Snowboardcross either. 

I agree my ranking for medal chances would be men's 10000m > luge relay > pairs figure skating > men's snowboardcross

orangeman    82
15 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I agree my ranking for medal chances would be men's 10000m > luge relay > pairs figure skating > men's snowboardcross

Well, our pairs came through.  Does that mean the relay and 10000m are a given now?  :d

Really looking forward to the luge relay since I missed it last time because it was in the middle of the night for me.  It's just after dinner this time around.  

What the heck happened with Homan.  Did not look good this morning, but hopefully she'll recover.  Probably.  

And, yay!  We beat the USA.  It's meaningless in the long run, but still nice.  

Nate River    68
40 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Well, our pairs came through.  Does that mean the relay and 10000m are a given now?  :d

Really looking forward to the luge relay since I missed it last time because it was in the middle of the night for me.  It's just after dinner this time around.  

What the heck happened with Homan.  Did not look good this morning, but hopefully she'll recover.  Probably.  

Meaningless? Gotta extend the winning streak to 23 games :p

ofan    18
3 hours ago, orangeman said:

I've always thought Homan was a flake. Sadly, I doubt Canada will be winning a gold this year