website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

3 minutes ago, Nate River said:

At this point I think we can forget about a medal in women's curling. Rachel Homan and her team are playing possibly the worst curling of their career...

Canada is the only winless team in the tournament, and Homan is playing like she wants to be 0-9.

This is very bad! I don't follow curling regularly but I'm absolutely shocked this is the team we sent, they seem to be completely inept. At what point do we sub in Cheryl Bernard, I don't even know how much better she'll be but still.

1 minute ago, james89 said:

This is very bad! I don't follow curling regularly but I'm absolutely shocked this is the team we sent, they seem to be completely inept. At what point do we sub in Cheryl Bernard, I don't even know how much better she'll be but still.

They are the defending Canadian, world and trials champions. I'm not sure what happened to them. But they are just gifting teams games right now.

It's to bad we can't just substitute an entire team mid tournament.

26 minutes ago, Nate River said:

They are the defending Canadian, world and trials champions. I'm not sure what happened to them. But they are just gifting teams games right now.

It's to bad we can't just substitute an entire team mid tournament.

Someone get Jennifer Jones a wig STAT!

After a good Thursday, a disappointing Friday.  50/50 shots in x-country and speed skating didn't work out and our lady skeletors all had terrible first runs.  Vathje was great in the 2nd run, but probably too far back with too many ladies ahead of her to compete for a medal.  She got the fastest time in the 2nd run, but even if that exact result happened again twice in the final two runs, she wouldn't catch up to the podium.  But I guess anything is possible.  

Tomorrow is ladies ski slopestyle and short track.  And of course a hockey game vs the Czechs.  I'll be traveling and missing most of it, unfortunately.  I hope to settle in in time for short track though.  

It's funny, in the last 2 WOG it seemed like we had to wait around a while for Canada to pick up medals.  This time I feel like Canada peaked early.  Looks like 1-2 chances at medals for the next few days.  

Quiet day for Canada, most people performed as expected. It's a shame Vathje had such a poor first run in women's skeleton. She did gain 0.19 seconds on the competition, but that was a great second run and even if she does repeat it she may only finish at around 5th by the end.

Women's curling is something else right now... It isn't like she's a no name team that lucked out in the Canadian Trials, she's arguably the best rink in Canada (though I think Jones is better) and the defending World Champion so she's been in stressful situations, including representing Canada when they were hosts in 2014. I'm wondering if there was politics by Curling Canada at play. The replacement of their alternate for Bernard may have appeared that the federation didn't trust that the team could perform well.

Edited by JoshMartini007

I don't really get why there was any reason to doubt Horman pre-tournament if she had such a pedigree. But if they did they were clearly onto something. The look the coach gave Cheryl Bernard at the end of the game makes me think she's about to get subbed in. There's going to be intense pressure on right now.... I think its too late.

I know Slopestyle skiing and short track are unpredictable but I have hope. I also wish Patrick Chan a good skate to probably end his career, we all know he's not in medal contention, but it will be great to see him go out on top.

Things have been going south for Canada the last couple of days.  Loses in men's curling and hockey today, too.  Hopefully the short trackers and skeletors can pick it up tonight.  Who knows, with some luck Homan might actually be able to win a match, too!

Things look sparse for medals tomorrow again.  Hope for some good results in slopestyle and speed skating team pursuit.  

Congrats to Kim Boutin and Samuel Girard for their medal.

Another bronze for Kim and gold for Samuel.  15 medals this is good.  

And the girls in curling  finally won a match.  

Now what’s next.  I think Tessa and Scott are starting their competition tomorrow or Monday,  I don’t remember.