Canada National Thread

juddy96

:CAN CANADIAN DAY 1 SCHEDULE :CAN 

February 9-10

Curling- Mixed Doubles: Canada :CAN vs. :SUI Switzerland

Start Time: 9:05 am KST/ 7:05 pm EST

Network: CBC, Sportsnet

Snowboarding- Men's Slopestyle Qualification

Start Time: Heat 1: 10:00 am KST/ 8:00 pm EST; Heat 2: 1:00 pm KST/ 11:00 pm EST

Network: TSN

Canadian Athletes: Sebastian Toutant, Tyler Nicholson, Mark McMorris, Maxence Parrot

Cross-Country Skiing- Women's 7.5km + 7.5km Skiathlon 

Start Time: 4:15 pm KST/2:15 am EST

Network: CBC

Canadian Athletes: Emily Nishikawa, Cendrine Browne, Dahria Beatty, Anne-Marie Comeau

Short Track- Men's 1500m 

Start Time: Heats: 7:00 pm KST/ 5:00 am EST; Semifinals: 8:21 pm KST/ 6:21 am EST; Final: 9:28 pm KST/ 7:28 am EST

Canadian Athletes: Samuel Girard, Charles Hamelin, Pascal Dion

Short Track- Women's 500m Heats

Start Time: 7:44 pm KST/ 5:44 am EST

Canadian Athletes: Kim Boutin, Jamie Macdonald, Marianne St-Gelais

Speed Skating- Women's 3000m

Start Time: 8:00 pm KST/ 6:00 am EST

Canadian Athletes: Brianne Tutt, Isabelle Weidemann, Ivanie Blondin

Short Track- Women's 3000m Relay Heats

Start Time: 8:52 pm KST/6:52 am EST

Netework: CBC

Canadian Athletes: Kim Boutin, Jamie Macdonald, Marianne St-Gelais, Kasandra Bradette, Valerie Maltais

Luge- Men's Singles Runs 1 & 2

Start Time: 7:10 pm KST/ 5:10 am EST

Network: TSN2

Canadian Athletes: Mitchel Malyk, Reid Watts, Samuel Edney

Curling- Mixed Doubles: Olympic Athletes from Russia :WHT vs. :CAN Canada

Start Time: 8:05 pm KST/ 6:05 am EST

Network: TSN

Biathlon- Women's 7.5km Sprint

Start Time: 8:15 pm KST/ 6:15 am EST

Network: Sportsnet One

Canadian Athletes: Rosanna Crawford, Julia Ransom, Emma Lunder, Megan Tandy

Ski Jumping- Men's Individual Normal Hill

Start Time: 1st Round: 9:35 pm KST/ 7:35 am EST; Final Round: 10:35 pm KST/ 8:35 am EST

Canadian Athletes: Mackenzie Boyd-Clowes

Edited by Topicmaster1010

12 hours ago, Canada4thewin said:

I am back.  Lol long time no see.

I watched Patrick Chan last night.  He was lucky that the others skaters made mistakes.  

Anyway, Good morning 

Kind of funny how this, of all skates, is likely what will maje him Olympic champion...

Ok, been traveling around the last week, trying to keep up with all the developments.  Finally settled into my place here now and watched a bit of snowboarding this morning.  Can't wait for short track in a couple of hours (luckily I'm just 2 hours behind KST here in Thailand).  GO CANADA GO!

Edited by orangeman

Glad to see we're keeping our national tradition of 4th place finishes alive and well.  

I kid, I kid.  

Not happy with the CBC coverage.  I was watching the short track feed live here with an American friend who spent the whole day complaining about NBC.  Then there's a random commercial every 2 minutes (the exact same one), interrupting the replays and results.  So we switch to the main (TV) feed, and they skip the women's relay semis to show long track races that were done 20 minutes prior.  They kept on building up the Canadians, who were actually racing at that exact moment.  Then we go to the short track final, then back to long track where we see the 2nd last race and are told that Blondin goes to 5th place.  Then we get a feature on Blondin and see her race where she goes into 3rd.  Then we see the final pairing with her already down to 5th.  Why?

Anyway, not a terrible Day 1 for Canada.  About par for course.  Was hopeful for the 1500m, but it's a bit of a crapshoot.  Snowboarders did well, going to the playoffs in mixed curling on a streak, other short track races are set, Edney in luge is doing well.  Good chances at medals tomorrow.  

Kind of a crummy start. Thought Blondin and Hamelin would pull through. 

Great to see the mixed doubles curling team chugging along. Looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully two or three medals in snowboard slopestyle, moguls and (maybe) luge. Not to mention the Canadian women's hockey team gets their campaign underway for gold. 

I have to agree with the coverage at CBC I am not Impressed so far.

Regarding the short track final, how many skaters were there, it seems a lot for the final. Maybe it is just me but I thought they were less for the final.

Now there are no others competition until tonight.  This is a big gap with the hours.  Lol 

Yeah, it's a shame we didn't win a medal. Our two chances weren't guaranteed, but I thought it would have been enough for one medal. Curling is chugging along, Norway must be glad they got us at our worst. Luge looks promising though a medal in the men's singles is on the outside. Men's slopestyle was good and is shaping up to be a Canada vs. Norway affair

45 minutes ago, Canada4thewin said:

Will Patrick Chan skate in the free also or they can send Keegan Messing at his place?  I don’t have a lot of confidence in him. Lol 

Nations are allowed to make two substitutions. I feel given the schedule the pairs will be one of the subs, the other will depend on health or want of the athletes (though Scott/Tessa have been on record at wanting to perform both skates). Subbing Patrick Chan for Keegan Messing will be the largest drop in quality though given only five teams compete in the final at worst it would cost us 4 points, more likely less since I don't see the Russian beating out Japan or United States' skater.

56 minutes ago, Canada4thewin said:

Will Patrick Chan skate in the free also or they can send Keegan Messing at his place?  I don’t have a lot of confidence in him. Lol 

Patrick is probably going to do both, my guess is that they will seitch pairs and women’s.

That being said even if Chan has a disaster skate the worst he can score is 6. The gold medal is probably going to be more or less decided by the time he’s on the ice.