website statistics

Women's Field Hockey Tournament at the Asian Games 2018

Totallympics

hace 10 minutos, AlFHg said:

I was always wondering this, so maybe some of you can answer the question: why is SouthAfrica refusing quotas? And why is it taking part to further preolympic event once they refused quota?

Because their NOC is only interested in sending world class athletes to the OG and they think that in most sports african qualifiers have insignificant level. It's not that the south african hockey federation rejects them, they actually want to go in any way, it's the NOC that imposes the standard. I don't know how this policy originated but it has more than two decades of being this way, though sometimes they have relaxed it a bit.

As for the other question, it varies with each international federation but I think FIH in particular is flexible with them because they don't really want african teams at the OG either, but who knows. 

Edited by LDOG

9 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I was always wondering this, so maybe some of you can answer the question: why is SouthAfrica refusing quotas? And why is it taking part to further preolympic event once they refused quota?

They are only refusing the quotas won at the African qualifications (and rather understandably so, level in Africa is quite low in many sports).

#banbestmen

vii) If Japan is the winner of the 18th Asian Games (Women’s Hockey competition) 2018, their place will be taken by the next highest ranked team in the FIH World Ranking at the end of the 2019 Continental Championships.

In this case there will be seven (7) qualifying events and the additional place will be allocated to the next highest ranked team in the FIH World Rankings as at the end of the 2019 Continental Championships not qualified.

viii) In the event that paragraph vii) above happens, the 14 teams that have qualified will be drawn to play another of the teams over two (2) matches. The overall winners of the two (2) matches will qualify for the Olympic Games.

I think it's well clear...the best Asian team in the WR after the 2019 Continental Champs will be directly qualified to the Olympic Games and we're gonna have "only" 7 play-offs pairings...:evil:

to answer why RSA always try to keep the number of their Olympic participants as low as they can, it's just above money...$$$

their NOC has limited funding and they don't want to waste big money in athletes going to the Games just to make the not-paying tourists (which is always the case for most of the African qualification winners in many sports, especially the team sports)...

vor 30 Minuten schrieb phelps:

vii) If Japan is the winner of the 18th Asian Games (Women’s Hockey competition) 2018, their place will be taken by the next highest ranked team in the FIH World Ranking at the end of the 2019 Continental Championships.

In this case there will be seven (7) qualifying events and the additional place will be allocated to the next highest ranked team in the FIH World Rankings as at the end of the 2019 Continental Championships not qualified.

I think it's well clear...the best Asian team in the WR after the 2019 Continental Champs will be directly qualified to the Olympic Games and we're gonna have "only" 7 play-offs pairings…:evil: 

Nope, because in the part that you have quoted they are talking About the qualification Event and not about the Olympics. Directly under "Olympic Qualifying Event" they write, that if Japan wins the Asian Games, seven teams will qualify at the final qualifiers instead of six.

Besides, in your Quote they aren't even talking about the next ranked Asian Team in the World Rankings, but about the next ranked team.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

11 minuti fa, EselTheDonkey ha scritto:

Nope, because in the part that you have quoted they are talking About the qualification Event and not about the Olympics. Directly under "Olympic Qualifying Event" they write, that if Japan wins the Asian Games, seven teams will qualify at the final qualifiers instead of six.

Besides, in your Quote they aren't even talking about the next ranked Asian Team in the World Rankings, but about the next ranked team.

looking at that a bit closer, I think you're right...basically, Japan is the Asian qualifier (as if the host Nation wasn't granted a spot)...then we have the remaining 4 Continental champs (3 if RSA win and then refuse the African spot) and 7 (8 if Africa don't use their spot) play-off matches...

I guess now we've figured it out...

thanks...:yes

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

looking at that a bit closer, I think you're right...basically, Japan is the Asian qualifier (as if the host Nation wasn't granted a spot)...then we have the remaining 4 Continental champs (3 if RSA win and then refuse the African spot) and 7 (8 if Africa don't use their spot) play-off matches...

I guess now we've figured it out...

thanks...:yes

No, as @JoshMartini007 and @LDOG pointed out, there is no provision for 8 play-off matches. We will have 7 play-off matches. 14 teams for that will be top 4 from Hockey Pro League, top 6 from Hockey Series Finals and rest by ranking. Also, if Japan (or any other continental champion) finish in these 10 spots, that place also goes to highest ranked teams and not to other teams in the competition. 

Winner of these 7 play-offs qualify for Olympics. If South Africa refuse the African spot, among the 7 losing teams from the play-offs the one ranked highest qualify to Olympics as well. 

10 minuti fa, Dolby ha scritto:

No, as @JoshMartini007 and @LDOG pointed out, there is no provision for 8 play-off matches. We will have 7 play-off matches. 14 teams for that will be top 4 from Hockey Pro League, top 6 from Hockey Series Finals and rest by ranking. Also, if Japan (or any other continental champion) finish in these 10 spots, that place also goes to highest ranked teams and not to other teams in the competition. 

Winner of these 7 play-offs qualify for Olympics. If South Africa refuse the African spot, among the 7 losing teams from the play-offs the one ranked highest qualify to Olympics as well. 

oh, c'mon! that's an epic mess...

it was so easy until last time with continental champs (and runner-up if the hosts won the continental title) + 2/3 global qualification tournaments (name it like you want...OQT, world league, pro league...whatever you wake up with)...

by the way, I'm done...I refuse to lose my mind behind a bunch od idiots with perverted minds...:whistle::facepalm::wall: