website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans Thread (2016 & 2017)

heywoodu

il y a 4 minutes, Agger a déclaré:

What do you mean about that?

Considering that more continental and continental pro cyclists are getting caught than world tour ones, it could only means two things:

- that doping is more prevalent at lower professionnal ranks than at top level one, which seems ver, very unlkely.

- that the antidoping system is not working and will catch almost only doping athletes that don't have the means (financiaral or otherwise) to get away with it.

9 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Considering that more continental and continental pro cyclists are getting caught than world tour ones, it could only means two things:

- that doping is more prevalent at lower professionnal ranks than at top level one, which seems ver, very unlkely.

- that the antidoping system is not working and will catch almost only doping athletes that don't have the means (financiaral or otherwise) to get away with it.

I think it would be wrong to say that it's not working. It's not unlikely that the dopers are still a step ahead in the fight, but it does also seem likely that there is less doping in the sport in the past. At least it seems unlikely that some new superdrug has been discovered

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/163303577538/tour-de-france-gc-performance-trends

Why is it surprising that continental levels have more doping than the World Tour? If anything, there are more riders competing there. And also, cheating is pretty much predominant on the lower levels of the competitions, just like match fixing in tennis and football are more common at the lower levels for example.

#banbestmen

il y a 17 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Why is it surprising that continental levels have more doping than the World Tour? If anything, there are more riders competing there. And also, cheating is pretty much predominant on the lower levels of the competitions, just like match fixing in tennis and football are more common at the lower levels for example.

Because there are more incentives to dope, the higher level you go (money, fame...). Match fixing is a different beast entirrely, the reward is the same regardless of the level of the match, but the risk to be caught is lower, the lower you go through the ranks.

@Agger I won't disagree that the peloton is a lot cleaner that 10 or 15 years ago, but I'd argue it has more to do with the introduction of the blood passport and the various cases brought by the justice, that the anti doping system per se.

Edited by De_Gambassi

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

A little late, but I didn't realize Baseball had so many cases.

I think they barely hit the news because the suspensions are so ridiculously short :d 

I mean, here it's only news when someone gets suspended like 100+ games, and that's not even close to one year.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think they barely hit the news because the suspensions are so ridiculously short :d 

I mean, here it's only news when someone gets suspended like 100+ games, and that's not even close to one year.

but you have to consider that all MLB (and other main Pro Leagues, too) Baseball suspensions are also a big economical loss for those who are caught...for most of these players, getting a 100 games suspension means also losing 62.5% of their yearly salary (which generally is a many million dollar salary)...

and normally they also lose their rich sponsorship contracts when they get suspended...

so, in my opinion they are hit a lot harder than any other sportsman, since they are heavily hit in their wallet (the thing they care more about, without any doubt)...

@vinipereira

there's a lot of money surrounding Pro Baseball and it's very difficult to make it to the top level because of the very high competition, so it's obvious that there are also many cheaters who try everything (illegal stuff included) to earn a place under the sun...

and technically, to succeed in baseball you need a lot of skills...strenght, speed, ability to stay focused, very good reflexes...so, there are a lot things you can improve with medicines, which favors the abuse of certain (banned) substances...

Edited by phelps