website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans Thread (2016 & 2017)

heywoodu

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

There are at least 10 more cases to come.

Most are from the women's ice hockey team

I remember Zaitseva being a huge spokesperson against doping in sport, I kind of wanted to believe her. I wasn't necessarily rooting for her in Biathlon races, but I respected her as a good opponent for my favourites.

Rodchenkov revealed the name of the supposed Ukrainian victim.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/sports/olympics/russian-doping.html

"Rodchenkov said that Yuri Nagornykh, the deputy minister of sport, had asked him to incriminate a Ukrainian athlete, Vita Semerenko, during a competition in Moscow leading up to the Olympics."

Basically Russian officials & politicians tried to attack Ukrainian biathlon by eliminating a strong competitor (who won the Olympic gold & silver in Sochi) before the Games. Judging from the hints they wanted to spoil her doping test from the 2013 Race of Champions in Moscow.

Vita has already suffered from the Russian system :mad: She was robbed of her Olympic silver (and prize money) by doping offender Olga Vilukhina. The IOC disqualified Vilukhina 5 days ago.

Edited by Xander

Some news from the famous clolebuterol doping scandal where more that 100 athletes are involved.

International Ice hockey players Mitchell and Lachlan Frear have been banned for two years by the Sports Tribunal of New Zealand as part of an investigation into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs to amateur athletes.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/99728957/new-zealand-ice-hockey-brothers-lachlan-and-mitchell-frear-hit-with-twoyear-doping-bans

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Russia's women's hockey team is dqd from Sochi. This means they would have not qualified through the rankings for Pyeongchang. I wonder if any of the teams that did not make it will raise this point!

They're the first team to be disqualified from the Olympic Games in any team sport since 1948