website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Biggest Gold Medal Favourites

hace 1 hora, Quasit said:

If we're talking about Russia and Artistic Swimming, we shouldn't forget about Rhythmic Gymnastics as well.

What about Teddy Riner and Kaori Icho? Riner will still only be 31 by then and still nobody has defeated him. Icho could go for her 5th gold. She hasn't been wrestling after Rio I think but she hasn't officially retired either. It would be amazing for her to go for another gold.

Riner looks closer to lose every year. He should have lost in semis last wch but referee helped him.

Yes, I know it sounds silly but it's the truth.

From a NZ point of view. Lisa Carrington K1 200m. Hasn't been beaten in this event since the heats at the 2012 Olympics but won when it counted. Looking beyond NZ I don't think you can go past the US men and womens Basketball teams. They could send US D teams and still win.

3 hours ago, Nate River said:

Well, we had the single biggest favorite across every events in 2018 (Mikaël Kingsbury) which, to me, was a foreign and nerve wrecking experience.

As for 2020, I think Ledecky in the 800 and 1500 has to be the biggest favorite in any individual events.

Yup, I meant specifically for the Summer Olympics. Winter is a different story ofc. 

hace 5 horas, AlFHg said:

If Jessica Rossi returns being Jessica Rossi, then she’s the favourite for the individual trap. Another highly favourite athlete is Olga Kharlan in women sabre.

I would never call anyone "big favorite for gold" in shooting. 

Am 28.7.2018 um 09:54 schrieb heywoodu:

After this idea by @OlympicsFan, here we go, a thread to discuss the biggest favourites for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. It's more or less two years to go until the Olympics, a nice moment for a bit of fun discussion about who right now you would consider to be the biggest gold medal favourites for Tokyo.

Thanks for opening this thread, although it developed a bit different than expected. I only thought about individual events. Something like "Caeleb Dressel is one of the biggest favorites in mens 100 free, because he won the gold medal at the world championships last year by 0.7 seconds and he will only improve given his age" and then in 2 years we might see him not even making the team ... or: "Caster Semenya in womens 800 m is one of the biggest favorites, she hasnt lost a race in 10 years, so she will definitly win the gold medal in Tokyo" just to see her completly disappearing after the new rules kick in. If we talk about team sports, then of course USA in basketball is the biggest favorite.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.