website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Wow, once again they'll use that pre-qualified to semifinals nonsense. In 2016 they had the excuse with the Olympics coming up, but this time it's plain stupid!

Why don't they introduce pre-qualified finalists as well? Or better yet, pre-qualified medalists?

I hope at least the athletes knew this since for a long time, that would give them the chance to fight to get into a pre-qualified spot. 

Which doesn't make it any less of a bullshit rule, just to be clear :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I hope at least the athletes knew this since for a long time, that would give them the chance to fight to get into a pre-qualified spot. 

Which doesn't make it any less of a bullshit rule, just to be clear :p 

Yup, it was common knowledge for a long while, although they estimated that there would be 8 pre-qualified spots in races, but I guess that was adjusted to fit a fancy format after they got the actual final entrant lists. This explains why it's a different amount of pre-qualified athletes for every race, so the top 8 knew they were pre-qualified and for some 9-13 ranked athletes this was a surprise as they were expected to run in heats.

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

In two years we should pre-qualify 800 and 1500 metres as well, because nobody wants to see big names not qualifying to semi-finals in the heats only because of poor tactics chosen at that moment.

I'm also a big fan of pre-qualified athletes for the 10k and marathons, where the pre-qualified athletes can wait out the first 3 and 10 kilometers respectively.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I'm also a big fan of pre-qualified athletes for the 10k and marathons, where the pre-qualified athletes can wait out the first 3 and 10 kilometers respectively.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea. That way it's not a bother for the more advanced athletes, because they don't need to push through crowds of slow runners.

Plus, they could always provide more camera time for the leaders, because they wouldn't need to focus on the people running the first 10k and could just show the warm up routines of the Kenyans :)

Meanwhile I am so hyped for tomorrow morning :hyper:

I'm planning on waking up 5am, do my excersise between 6 and 8 and then be ready for the start at 08.30 :cheer:

@hckosice:

Spoiler

are_you_with_me_600px.jpg

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile I am so hyped for tomorrow morning :hyper:

I'm planning on waking up 5am, do my excersise between 6 and 8 and then be ready for the start at 08.30 :cheer:

@hckosice:

Hide contents

are_you_with_me_600px.jpg

Jesus Christ, you're starting in the men's 50k????? :yikes:

14 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Yup, it was common knowledge for a long while, although they estimated that there would be 8 pre-qualified spots in races, but I guess that was adjusted to fit a fancy format after they got the actual final entrant lists. This explains why it's a different amount of pre-qualified athletes for every race, so the top 8 knew they were pre-qualified and for some 9-13 ranked athletes this was a surprise as they were expected to run in heats.

I'm sure all of them are so happy that they were deprived of the joy from advancing from heats to semifinals... Having that many prequalifiers means more than a few will travel just to run a single race. Yay, scandal.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

I'm sure all of them are so happy that they were deprived of the joy from advancing from heats to semifinals... Having that many prequalifiers means more than a few will travel just to run a single race. Yay, scandal.

And having that many false starts means that more than a few will travel only to walk on the track and walk off the track :p

On the other hand, this approach might be encouraging more athletes to try out a second discipline, because that leaves you with slightly more of a rest time.

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

And having that many false starts means that more than a few will travel only to walk on the track and walk off the track :p

On the other hand, this approach might be encouraging more athletes to try out a second discipline, because that leaves you with slightly more of a rest time.

But then again, the schedule is not encouraging. I mean, what kind of idiot would put women's 400m AND 4x400m finals in the same day, and also women's 1500m, 3000m steeple AND 5000m finals in the same day? :roflmao:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen