website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Guba is miles away from being in medal contention at the olympics, unlike Schwanitz, so nothing to worry from a german perspective. In addition to that Germany has the 2015 U18 world champion (Julia Ritter), the 2017 U18 world champion (Selina Dantzler) and the 2016 U20 world champion (Alina Kenzel) in this event, so absolutely nothing to worry. At the last 2 youth world championships and the 2018 U20 world championships as well as the 2017 U20 european championships, the 2017 U23 european championships and the 2018 U18 european championships Germany was ahead of Poland in the medal table, so if anything Poland has to worry. At the moment Poland it looks as if Poland might win medals at the olympics in both hammer throws and maybe mens shot put, but once Wlodarczyk retires, it looks pretty dark. Kszczot is old as well and not a medal contender, the same is true for Malachowski. Lisek might surprise, but currently Lavillenie, Duplantis and Kendricks are clearly ahead of him. I think 4 medals are realistic for Poland at the next olympics. Germany on the other hand has 3 javelin throwers, C. Harting, mens decathlon, womens heptathlon, 20 km race walking, womens 4 x 100 m relay, Schwanitz, Dutkiewicz/Roleder and "sidekicks" like Gierisch, Mihambo, womens javelin throw or Storl and talents like Heinle, Lückenkemper, Klosterhalfen and so on.

If you are really convinced that polish athletics is in a better state, i would like to offer you a bet: I say that Germany will win at least 2 more medals in athletics than Poland at the next olympics, are you in?

I never said Guba will win a medal the Olympics :wall: It's exciting for us since she's on target to beat the oldest T&F NR. Obviously that means nothing for you.

Germany will always be favored to win more Olympic medals than Poland because a) you have a bigger population and b) you have more financial resources. Our athletics programme hinges on private sponsors and not much else.

You're just stating the obvious, we all well aware how powerful Germany is :cool:

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Depends on what you define as jogging pace ...

4:58 equals a time of about 33 minutes for the 10 000 m, which is roughly the speed of elite females.

Daley Thompson said Duckworth is "a jogger" with that PB. Don't take my word for it, maybe Thompson doesn't have a clue about decathlon either? :mumble:

It's decathlon, 10 000m results don't mean anything here.

Edited by Monzanator

9 minutes ago, Werloc said:

That's what Austra SKujytė always did to us with the 800m

I remember the Athens Olympics were pretty much "Austra, try to be as less last as possible" :d

All Austra Skujyte makes me think of nowadays is a bookmaker once offering odds per individual decathlon/heptathlon event, and giving odds of between 3 and 4 for Skujyte to win the shot put :roflmao: (as in, €1 turns into €3 or €4 if you win the bet, which of course was the case because Skujyte)

Spoiler

giphy.gif

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

All Austra Skujyte makes me think of nowadays is a bookmaker once offering odds per individual decathlon/heptathlon event, and giving odds of between 3 and 4 for Skujyte to win the shot put :roflmao: (as in, €1 turns into €3 or €4 if you win the bet, which of course was the case because Skujyte)

Hide contents

giphy.gif

I'm glad that Skujytė helped you become stinkin' rich :d To me, Skujytė was the person that brought me into Athletics, I was a mesely 10 year old, but I remember everything pretty well and how my family was across the television in a circle shouting at the screen for Skujytė to run :p That episode will stick with me for my entire life :d Sidenote, I miss Carolina Kluft :(

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

Daley Thompson said Duckworth is "a jogger" with that PB. Don't take my word for it, maybe Thompson doesn't have a clue about decathlon either? :mumble:

It's decathlon, 10 000m results don't mean anything here.

No, Thompson for sure is an expert, but i think he just got emotional (like i did after Schwanitz lost the gold) because he saw an athlete from his country losing a medal and thought "All the other guys are much faster, why cant you run any faster" and he certainly had his own PB of 4:20 in mind. I would say you will have a hard time to find a normal person who is able to run sub 5:00 for the 1500 m.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

I never said Guba will win a medal the Olympics :wall: It's exciting for us since she's on target to beat the oldest T&F NR. Obviously that means nothing for you.

Germany will always be favored to win more Olympic medals than Poland because a) you have a bigger population and b) you have more financial resources. Our athletics programme hinges on private sponsors and not much else.

You're just stating the obvious, we all well aware how powerful Germany is :cool:

Of course i dont care whether she breaks a polish record ... lets be honest, you wouldnt care either if someone broke a german record?

I am sure it would be special for her to break such an old record that is probably from the time where there were no serious doping controls.

About Schwanitz performances today: We shouldnt forget that Schwanitz was involved in a car crash only 1 day after the german championships 3 weeks ago and injured her finger, so this might have played a role in her poor performance today.

You sounded as if you thought that polish athletics is in a better state than german athletics, so i had the feeling that all of those things werent obvious to you, but of course you are right, its only normal for Germany to be better than Poland in sports. Of course that doesnt stop Germany from being a complete disaster in fencing and swimming, so i guess as a german fan you have to be glad that german athletics is in a much better state.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I'm glad that Skujytė helped you become stinkin' rich :d To me, Skujytė was the person that brought me into Athletics, I was a mesely 10 year old, but I remember everything pretty well and how my family was across the television in a circle shouting at the screen for Skujytė to run :p That episode will stick with me for my entire life :d Sidenote, I miss Carolina Kluft :(

Klüft is swedish tv reporter in Berlin but I miss her competing too.. Her european record/3rd World title at the Age of 25 is still her last heptathlon competition.

she Said she think Thiam May beat her europeisk record (IMO moral World record) this week.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course i dont care whether she breaks a polish record ... lets be honest, you wouldnt care either if someone broke a german record?

In all honesty, this peaked my curiosity. What is the most recent senior German record that was broken?

Just now, Swewi said:

Klüft is swedish tv reporter in Berlin but I miss her competing too.. Her european record/3rd World title at the Age of 25 is still her last heptathlon competition.

she Said she think Thiam May beat her europeisk record (IMO moral World record) this week.

I honestly was mad that Kluft switched to the long jump and then ended her career. I loved her after the Athens Olympics :d She amazingly worked the crowd in the high jump.