website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Gudzius :d 

@Werloc has just exploded, rest in peace mate. 

Did not explode, was pretty happy, but not too explosive :d Gudžius has already trained us for success :p Give me a bronze for Šerkšnienė in 400m and I'll burn the house down :d

By the way, respect for the two French dudes bombing out in the 2nd event of the decathlon, but following that up by completing all 8 remaining events in style, including the killing 1500m. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Monzanator said:

4:58 is jogging pace. No way he fights for future medals with such a poor run.

That depends on the championships. He already scored 8336 points with a poorer run than today. Without improving his 1500m 8400 points is very much realistic for starters (even 8500 maybe, seeing that he's still only 22 and can improve in every event one might say) and that can, as we're seeing right now, be enough for medals. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

Guba is at the peak of her performances right now and she will probably only get better. Schwanitz was nowhere near her best but that's not our problem.  German athletics generally is on the way down but I have no idea why that happens.

Guba is miles away from being in medal contention at the olympics, unlike Schwanitz, so nothing to worry from a german perspective. In addition to that Germany has the 2015 U18 world champion (Julia Ritter), the 2017 U18 world champion (Selina Dantzler) and the 2016 U20 world champion (Alina Kenzel) in this event, so absolutely nothing to worry. At the last 2 youth world championships and the 2018 U20 world championships as well as the 2017 U20 european championships, the 2017 U23 european championships and the 2018 U18 european championships Germany was ahead of Poland in the medal table, so if anything Poland has to worry. At the moment Poland it looks as if Poland might win medals at the olympics in both hammer throws and maybe mens shot put, but once Wlodarczyk retires, it looks pretty dark. Kszczot is old as well and not a medal contender, the same is true for Malachowski. Lisek might surprise, but currently Lavillenie, Duplantis and Kendricks are clearly ahead of him. I think 4 medals are realistic for Poland at the next olympics. Germany on the other hand has 3 javelin throwers, C. Harting, mens decathlon, womens heptathlon, 20 km race walking, womens 4 x 100 m relay, Schwanitz, Dutkiewicz/Roleder and "sidekicks" like Gierisch, Mihambo, womens javelin throw or Storl and talents like Heinle, Lückenkemper, Klosterhalfen and so on.

If you are really convinced that polish athletics is in a better state, i would like to offer you a bet: I say that Germany will win at least 2 more medals in athletics than Poland at the next olympics, are you in?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

Nilsson Montler's last attempt.

ddE8Wgo.jpg

Close to 8 m, he deserved 4th place. The same happened with Heinles 4th attempt that was way beyond 7.77 m. Would be more interesting to know where Torneus is though ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 19 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

Really hard to say how far that Swedish jump was, he might have let a hand hanging there or something.. 

Maybe he did a Spanovic (if you know what i mean)?

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Especially because then you get people thinking "oh you're in 2nd place, you're in clear medal position!", not knowing there's such a thing as, well, being good or less good in certain events.

That's what Austra SKujytė always did to us with the 800m

I remember the Athens Olympics were pretty much "Austra, try to be as less last as possible" :d

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

4:58 is jogging pace. No way he fights for future medals with such a poor run.

Depends on what you define as jogging pace ...

4:58 equals a time of about 33 minutes for the 10 000 m, which is roughly the speed of elite females.