website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

1 minute ago, andyjgt said:

@Werloc how come Serksniene didn't run in your relay team? (Not that they'd have Q'ed or even q'ed anyway, but still...) is it because of the 200 later?

Šerkšnienė is fully focused on trying to win Lithuania its first European track medal since Lina Grinčikaitė in 2012. She has a pretty good shot tomorrow evening. After our relay qualified to the European Championships, Agnė apologised to the girls and said that she wouldn't start in the relay if she were to make it to the 400m final. We did not start Eglė Balčiūnaitė either, so I guess we used this opportunity to give some experience to youngsters Krūminaitė and Galvydytė.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

I go a little longer back, I still remember Wodars & Wachtel in the 800m and then Katrin Krabbe at Tokyo 1991 WC plus these white German suits with a red stripe :p Quite frankly Germany has slid down by a huge margin especially on the track events in the last 25 years or so. It's been a lot different for Poland. Late 80s/early 90s was our worst period in athletics. We're on the up since Atlanta Olympic Games again.

Of course that had nothing to do with GDR athletes joining the german team ...

Germany hasnt been better in the track events (at least on the womens side) for at least 25 years. Lückenkemper and Klosterhalfen are 21 years old and are the best german track talents since 1990 in my opinion. Klosterhalfen broke 2:00.00 over 800 m, 4:00.00 over 1500 m (3:58.91) and 15:00.00 over 5000 m (14:51.00) last year as a 20 year old, i am not sure whether any other runner ever did those times at such a young age. Add in Alina Reh (31:38.00 in a 10 km road race last year as a 20 year old), Pamela Dutkiewicz, Cindy Roleder, Krause, Lisa Mayer, Gesa Krause, Hanna Klein and talents like Keshia Kwadwo (4th at the U20 world championships in the 100 m this year), Talea Prepens (23.51 s with -0.7 m/s wind over the 200 m last year as a 15 year old, U18 world champion) or Marie Scheppan (52.82 s over 400 m as a 17 year old this year) and you have nothing to moan about as a german fan.

Actually Germany reached a low at the 2008 olympics and since has always been among the top 5-6 nations in the world. Poland surely got much better in the last 30 years, but of course thats easy when you were in a horrible state before. I think Poland kind of adapted the german strategy of focusing on throwing events that are clearly the least competitive events globally, while Germany started to focus more in track events and therefore lost its dominance in throwing events (although Röhler/Vetter, C. Harting, Storl, Hussong, Schwanitz, Vita/Craft are still in a good position to fight for medals in 2020).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Thiam gained 305 pts on KJT in the javelin :bounce:

So much for underperforming.

And quite frankly I don't see KJT ever improving t ca. 47-48 m let alone 50. Sotherton never could and everyone who struggled at javelin, kept struggling all the way through (we've had this in Poland with Tyminska before).

vor 25 Minuten schrieb De_Gambassi:

Probably, not more than 12-15 here, including 4 tennis players and only 3 or 4 T&fT athletes.

Could be an interesting thread to try to find out the 'oldest' olympian to make it in Tokyo 

Could be interesting indeed. I thought a while ago that it would be fun to predict the youngest athlete at the next olympics for different nations, but a thread like that probably wouldnt generate much interest.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.