website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Майкл:

Not the best champs for german jumpers :lol: 

1 medal out of 2 competitions so far, so a pretty good quota.

Also good chances for medals in both high jumps, womens long jump and womens triple jump.

Of course it doesnt help that Heß was injured and barely competed this season. Given the level of competition in europe i thought that even at 50% he might defend his title, but it wasnt meant to be. I guess he will be ok, considering that he already is european champion and is bound to win many more european titles in the future (of course unless Portugal or Azerbaijan will naturalize half of Cuba). C. Harting was the only german athlete who openly said that he doesnt care about this competition, but i think many other athletes (not only from Germany) feel the same. If you look at the number of spectators you surely understand that the interest for this competition isnt too high in Germany, sadly only olympic games matter in a sport like athletics.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

One of the SVK girls looks physically unwell?

Time for the POL back-ups now...

It was Alexandra Bezeková the anchor leg, she ran also in the 200m heats this morning, I guess this last leg was her biggest effort in all her career, so no surprising she is looking totally out of breath :d

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

Talent can be easily wasted if don't backed up by hard work. Holzdeppe never struck me as a titan of work tbh.

Thats true, both he and his girlfriend (Sosthene Moguenara) are massively wasting their talent. We have to remember that Holzdeppe was 7th at the 2008 olympics as an 18 year old.

By the way: I recently felt pretty old when i thought about how many german athletes who competed at the 2008 olympics (the first olympics i followed closely) are now retired. This probably doesnt deserve an own thread, but when i looked up how many german athletes who competed at the 2008 olympics will probably also compete at the 2020 olympics i was surprised to see that the number is actually quite high (many athletes in equestrian, but also guys like Timo Boll, Dimitri Ovtcharov or Marcel Nguyen). Would be interesting to see if its the same with other nations.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

1 medal out of 2 competitions so far, so a pretty good quota.

Also good chances for medals in both high jumps, womens long jump and womens triple jump.

Of course it doesnt help that Heß was injured and barely competed this season. Given the level of competition in europe i thought that even at 50% he might defend his title, but it wasnt meant to be. I guess he will be ok, considering that he already is european champion and is bound to win many more european titles in the future (of course unless Portugal or Azerbaijan will naturalize half of Cuba). C. Harting was the only german athlete who openly said that he doesnt care about this competition, but i think many other athletes (not only from Germany) feel the same. If you look at the number of spectators you surely understand that the interest for this competition isnt too high in Germany, sadly only olympic games matter in a sport like athletics.

Of course the resuls aren't catastrophic, but Moguenara, Wester, Hozdeppe, Hess all failed to reach the finals, quite bad for your standards, tbh.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thats true, both he and his girlfriend (Sosthene Moguenara) are massively wasting their talent. We have to remember that Holzdeppe was 7th at the 2008 olympics as an 18 year old.

By the way: I recently felt pretty old when i thought about how many german athletes who competed at the 2008 olympics (the first olympics i followed closely) are now retired. This probably doesnt deserve an own thread, but when i looked up how many german athletes who competed at the 2008 olympics will probably also compete at the 2020 olympics i was surprised to see that the number is actually quite high (many athletes in equestrian, but also guys like Timo Boll, Dimitri Ovtcharov or Marcel Nguyen). Would be interesting to see if its the same with other nations.

I go a little longer back, I still remember Wodars & Wachtel in the 800m and then Katrin Krabbe at Tokyo 1991 WC plus these white German suits with a red stripe :p Quite frankly Germany has slid down by a huge margin especially on the track events in the last 25 years or so. It's been a lot different for Poland. Late 80s/early 90s was our worst period in athletics. We're on the up since Atlanta Olympic Games again.

28 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Do not want to sound much like a sore loser, but I am actually convinced that if it was someone from another country than SVK this certainly wouldn´t be a problem to measure it

And there's a free extra attempt to kinda prove your point wrong :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!