website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course that had nothing to do with GDR athletes joining the german team ...

Germany hasnt been better in the track events (at least on the womens side) for at least 25 years. Lückenkemper and Klosterhalfen are 21 years old and are the best german track talents since 1990 in my opinion. Klosterhalfen broke 2:00.00 over 800 m, 4:00.00 over 1500 m (3:58.91) and 15:00.00 over 5000 m (14:51.00) last year as a 20 year old, i am not sure whether any other runner ever did those times at such a young age. Add in Alina Reh (31:38.00 in a 10 km road race last year as a 20 year old), Pamela Dutkiewicz, Cindy Roleder, Krause, Lisa Mayer, Gesa Krause, Hanna Klein and talents like Keshia Kwadwo (4th at the U20 world championships in the 100 m this year), Talea Prepens (23.51 s with -0.7 m/s wind over the 200 m last year as a 15 year old, U18 world champion) or Marie Scheppan (52.82 s over 400 m as a 17 year old this year) and you have nothing to moan about as a german fan.

Actually Germany reached a low at the 2008 olympics and since has always been among the top 5-6 nations in the world. Poland surely got much better in the last 30 years, but of course thats easy when you were in a horrible state before. I think Poland kind of adapted the german strategy of focusing on throwing events that are clearly the least competitive events globally, while Germany started to focus more in track events and therefore lost its dominance in throwing events (although Röhler/Vetter, C. Harting, Storl, Hussong, Schwanitz, Vita/Craft are still in a good position to fight for medals in 2020).

We only began to struggle in the mid 80s when the L.A. boycott severed a lot of athletic programmes among others. Seoul 1988 remains out worst post WWII Olympic performance (minus the Melbourne voyage in 1956). This stretched to the early 90s and we only began scoring good results since 1996. Before that we had Artur Partyka, Wanda Panfil and Robert Korzeniowski. Partyka's bronze in the high jump was the only medal we got in the 1992 Olympics, we had no medals at all in Seoul (6th in 4x100 wome relay was our best). Our best result at European Champs is 15 medals in 1966 at the height of the 'Wunderteam' years.

These junior results sometimes don't transfer to the seniors. Konrad Bukowiecki was labelled as the top junior in the world and now Haratyk has his measure and beyond. If three years ago anyone said Haratyk will be better than Bukowiecki you'd be laughed off and then some.

27 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Could be an interesting thread to try to find out the 'oldest' olympian to make it in Tokyo 

Quite possibly Hiroshi Hoketsu.

If competing at both Tokyo 1964 and Tokyo 2020 doesn't give you the honor to light the flame, then...

#banbestmen

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

We'll compare the notes after the final. I say POL finishes ahead of GER :cheer:

It's bad enough the 400m final is only 90 mins before the relay final.

I think thats not a bold prediction ... i just dont see the polish girls being anywhere near world class, despite still being comfortably better than the german girls. Its hard to find nations with 4 fast 400 m runners, so maybe something like 3:25 might even be enough for a bronze in Tokyo, unless GB finds some talents again.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

I think thats not a bold prediction ... i just dont see the polish girls being anywhere near world class, despite still being comfortably better than the german girls. Its hard to find nations with 4 fast 400 m runners, so maybe something like 3:25 might even be enough for a bronze in Tokyo, unless GB finds some talents again.

USA is in their own class regardless. Jamaica is still better than any European nation too. GB struggling without Ohuorugu is not our problem :cool:

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

KJT will probably mirror Kelly Sotherton's eternal bridesmaid career.

That would be great for her, has she ever finished with a silver medal before? I think with all the talents coming through (Vicente, Ruckstuhl, Lagger, Sukh) constantly being 2nd would be great for her.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

but... but... the Commonwealth Games??? :cry::cry::cry:

Beating heptathletes from Kenya, Uganda and Australia is impressive indeed.

vor 15 Minuten schrieb dcro:

Ok, hype is not gone...

"The reality is, that Johnson-Thompson is SUPREME to Thiam in many events."

Not that wrong actually, she is better at 200 m, hurdles, 800 m and long jump.

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

Pretty poor results for Vetter in Javelin. Might have lost the bronze there :(

Yeah, only 83 m, despite being the world leader with 92 m. His world title from last year obviously was nothing but a fluke.