website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

No Dutch women'x 4x400m at the European championships. In the current shape they might have shown something nice, but due to the incredibly strange programming the federation decided it would be too much of a risk for the athletes.

On 11 August the women's individual 400m final will be at 20.05.....and at 21.50 it's the final of the women's 4x400m :facepalm:I truly wonder which idiot thought that would be a good idea.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 13 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

No Dutch women'x 4x400m at the European championships. In the current shape they might have shown something nice, but due to the incredibly strange programming the federation decided it would be too much of a risk for the athletes.

On 11 August the women's individual 400m final will be at 20.05.....and at 21.50 it's the final of the women's 4x400m :facepalm:I truly wonder which idiot thought that would be a good idea.

I guess the Germans. No chance for a final in the individual race, for sure not a medal chance. But in relay they could win a medal

vor 6 Stunden schrieb prso1000:

I guess the Germans. No chance for a final in the individual race, for sure not a medal chance. But in relay they could win a medal

1) I don't know when the schedule was made, if it was made a couple of months ago, then i dont agree. Back then Spelmeyer still had to be considered a realistic contender for the final.

2) We dont have to discuss that this schedule is stupid, but i kind of like it. I think its gonne be fun to see all those women compete for individual medals and then to come back only an hour later to compete against each other again, they will have a chance for very fast redemption.

3) Germans are know for their efficiency, this way those girls can get all their competitions done on the same day, so we will have less costs for transport, less environmental pollution and they dont all have to stay for a very long time in Berlin in case they have something else to do.

Edit: Last year at the world championships Spelmeyer was the 2nd best european athlete, so i guess the question whether your point is valid can only be answered by looking at when the schedule was created.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

The dutch relay would have probably been the favorite for silver, no this might open the door for Switzerland. The german relay will be fast in the long run, but with Mayer out and Pinto not fully fit something around 42.3-42.4 seems to be the limit.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

The dutch relay would have probably been the favorite for silver, no this might open the door for Switzerland. The german relay will be fast in the long run, but with Mayer out and Pinto not fully fit something around 42.3-42.4 seems to be the limit.

You might be confusing the 4x400m (which I was talking about) with the 4x100m (which Mayer, Pinto and 42.3-42.4 seem to suggest you are talking about) :p 

The Dutch are still in the 4x100m, where I'm holding on to some glimmer of hope Switzerland might be able to pull off a bit of an upset and take the gold (I know they're not number one favourites, but one can hope). Or Kambundji for individual gold, I'd be content with that as well. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 25 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

You might be confusing the 4x400m (which I was talking about) with the 4x100m (which Mayer, Pinto and 42.3-42.4 seem to suggest you are talking about) :p 

The Dutch are still in the 4x100m, where I'm holding on to some glimmer of hope Switzerland might be able to pull off a bit of an upset and take the gold (I know they're not number one favourites, but one can hope). Or Kambundji for individual gold, I'd be content with that as well. 

Yeah, the dutch relay could have won the bronze medal probably, in the 4 x100 it's a three way fight for silver and bronze.

Full Dutch team for Berlin:

https://www.atletiek.nl/nieuws/nederland-met-46-atleten-naar-ek-atletiek-berlijn

The target is 7 medals, as per the technical director. Realistically speaking, I'd say that is possible, but without surprises that's sort of the maximum possible.

EAA announced the qualified and entered relays. Actually almost identical with the ranking. 

In both men relays we will see the top 16 nations. 

In female relays two nations missing: Belgium in 4x100 and Netherlands in 4x400m. 

Cyprus and Portugal will replace them.