website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Well, I asked more than a month ago if anyone had any suggestion on the scoring system here and the discussion was non-existent so I just applied the rules we were using since I can remember (circa 2012). 

I agree that points for stuff like the right goals/difference (if that's the case) but wrong winner is strange, since in the end of course what counts is the winner, way more than the actual number of goals. And later on in tournaments results generally are easier to predict (since by then everyone has seen the teams play) so if anything, there should be more points for good results in early rounds/group phases.

That being said, I entirely missed the question for suggestions about the scoring so I'm in no way complaining, should have been earlier with that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I agree that points for stuff like the right goals/difference (if that's the case) but wrong winner is strange, since in the end of course what counts is the winner, way more than the actual number of goals. And later on in tournaments results generally are easier to predict (since by then everyone has seen the teams play) so if anything, there should be more points for good results in early rounds/group phases.

That being said, I entirely missed the question for suggestions about the scoring so I'm in no way complaining, should have been earlier with that :p 

Well, points for right number of goals but wrong winner are a nice consolation prize. :d

Though maybe instead of 1-2-3-4-5 for various levels of prediction, we could have 1-3-5-7-9 or 1-3-4-5-6 in the future.

#banbestmen

Just now, heywoodu said:

I agree with you to be honest. That is why I took decision to at least adjust points for Ice Hockey prediction contests. Earlier, 5 points were awarded for correct winner and 5 points additionally for goal difference. That means, someone can predict right winner A but with goal difference 6 and gets 5 points only because Team A won by 1. Other participant predicts wrong winner, Team B but goal difference 1 in favor for Team B. He gets 3 points. That looked odd and wrong so I made 7 points as number of points for correct winner only. Better 7>3 than 5>3

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, points for right number of goals but wrong winner are a nice consolation prize. :d

Though maybe instead of 1-2-3-4-5 for various levels of prediction, we could have 1-3-5-7-9 or 1-3-4-5-6 in the future.

Right total number of goals in the match maybe, but not like getting points for a 4-0 win for team A when you predicted a 1-5 win for team B just because you have the difference right :p (if that's the case now anyway, I don't even know :d )

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Right total number of goals in the match maybe, but not like getting points for a 4-0 win for team A when you predicted a 0-4 win for team B :p (if that's the case now anyway, I don't even know :d )

No, that's not the case. :p If you for example predict 2:0 for team A, but team B wins 3:2, then you get 1 point because you guessed a correct number of goals for team A. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, heywoodu said:

Right total number of goals in the match maybe, but not like getting points for a 4-0 win for team A when you predicted a 0-4 win for team B :p (if that's the case now anyway, I don't even know :d )

if you predicted A 4-0 B and it was A 0-4 B you get big fat zero :d if you predicted A 1-0 B but it was A 1-2 B at the end, you get that one point

Maybe having no clue about the point system makes me suck so bad in these contests :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Maybe having no clue about the point system makes me suck so bad in these contests :p 

You are an ideal candidate for an interesting experiment then. You should prepare, really prepare for the next one. Who knows what would happen. :d

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

You are an ideal candidate for an interesting experiment then. You should prepare, really prepare for the next one. Who knows what would happen. :d

If it's biathlon, I'm always prepared :p