website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, Wanderer said:

2018Contest9.png

Provisional Standing after Day 21 available here

An Unexpected Journey of A Bison Award pNVjJapzRf.png @Olympian1010 (Amazing score, out of nowhere)

Walk of Shame Award 5.thumb.jpg.0fbaf73889f2da2dc31b52f2a9035c59.jpg @heywoodu @Gianlu33 @Federer91 @Werloc better luck next time, from the members of the Bagel Club.  img_5511.jpg?w=380&h=253

Damn! This is a real break in my form

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, bestmen said:

@Wanderer why 1,25 point i preficted 2-1 for England and 2-0 for  Croatia 

I just checked spreadsheet and I have 2-1 for SWE for you. Did you edit your prediction in the meantime?

No worries, you will get 3,75 points for England's win. I made correction in the spreadsheet and you will see it in the next standing :yes You have 120 total points, 5 points on day 21.

I just predicted the European water polo championships 2018 even though I have never watched a complete water polo match ever. :lol:

By the way how many of you agree with having a prediction contests for the medal tally of prediction each continental event. Like we could start with Asian games 2018 to see the response and then we could try the Pan American games and European games 2019. Anyhow it would have larger number of participants then European water polo championships 2018 :hatoff:

3 ore fa, Fly_like_a_don ha scritto:

I just predicted the European water polo championships 2018 even though I have never watched a complete water polo match ever. :lol:

By the way how many of you agree with having a prediction contests for the medal tally of prediction each continental event. Like we could start with Asian games 2018 to see the response and then we could try the Pan American games and European games 2019. Anyhow it would have larger number of participants then European water polo championships 2018 :hatoff:

I don't agree: I think it's better to focus on world championships instead of continental games because in the latter the standard is very low, for example in basket ball in Africa there are 2-3 top teams and the other nations are very bad so the competition is not interesting.

Continental games are interersting only for particular sports like water polo where almost all the top teams are European (the only teams missing are US and Australia in women) so the European championships are difficult as a World championships.

For the same reason I didn't vote for Athletics European Championships because it's not so important (unless you are European) and the level in many disciplines is lower than in the World Championships.

4 hours ago, Pablita said:

I don't agree: I think it's better to focus on world championships instead of continental games because in the latter the standard is very low, for example in basket ball in Africa there are 2-3 top teams and the other nations are very bad so the competition is not interesting.

Continental games are interersting only for particular sports like water polo where almost all the top teams are European (the only teams missing are US and Australia in women) so the European championships are difficult as a World championships.

For the same reason I didn't vote for Athletics European Championships because it's not so important (unless you are European) and the level in many disciplines is lower than in the World Championships.

Neither athletics nor water polo are of any interest in any other continent except Europe. So basically the prediction contests have become Europe only except for some football or hockey it's  the 2 Americas we see. It's sad to know that the totalympics forum is only for Europeans or Americans. Not having a poll for sports of interest of other continents not only makes it a 2 continent affair but also forces the others to slowly disappear from the forum.... 

54 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Neither athletics nor water polo are of any interest in any other continent except Europe. So basically the prediction contests have become Europe only except for some football or hockey it's  the 2 Americas we see. It's sad to know that the totalympics forum is only for Europeans or Americans. Not having a poll for sports of interest of other continents not only makes it a 2 continent affair but also forces the others to slowly disappear from the forum.... 

Firstly, athletics is universally loved! Having the other continental championships not on the same level as the European one, doesn't mean that those continents don't like the sport. On the contrary, it's one of the most popular sports worldwide, as seen on every World Championship. 

Then, i don't see how the Prediction Contests are only for Europe, when from 20 or so contests in the calendar, only 2 are European continental - the Water Polo one, and a handball one in december, when, let's be frank, there aren't many big sporting events in december. If you don't count the Darts World Championships though, which i'm totally inclined to have included. :d All other contests are worldwide based, open to all countries and are usually chosen, because they will be some of the most famous and anticipated sporting events, which can bring the most users to participate.  And every year there have been included some less know stuff, like sailing and equestrian this year, to not have repeating contests.

Also, why do you even need the prediction contests to stay on the forum. They are a fun little side thing here, with hardly any bragging rights. :d You can always talk and contribute to the events and sports that you like, and i'm sure you will be surprised that there are other people to have a similar interest like you.

Even though the forum is yes, overwhelmingly european, there are many people with very different tastes in sports, which can't be seen on many places. You can't blame us, europeans, for being interested more in the sports that are most popular here. After all, these are the events, the athletes, the traditions that we are most acquainted and interested in. I would very much like to watch more badminton, because it is a sport that i'm very interested in following, but when it is shown only every 4 years on the TV here and you have to dig deep for a low quality stream to watch and can't get invested in the athletes, it is really off-putting. 

22 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Football is probably the most popular sport around the world (maybe except USA and Canada :d) and there you go - we'll have Asian Cup, African Cup of Nations, Gold Cup, and Copa America next year :d 

On 8-7-2018 at 11:40, Fly_like_a_don said:

All those who agree with me reply with a "like" or "haha" or "thanks "

Or a quote :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!