website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Bohemia said:

Congrats to the medallists and especially Pablita! (and her secret weapon :p)

And thank you Wanderer for the organization, that must be a big amount of work!

I'm happy with my 13th place in biathlon, since I'm far from being an expert like all of you :lol: 

Wait, secret weapon? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 2/21/2018 at 17:58, Pablita said:

I have a secret weapon but it's not bet sites (in Italy I don't think that bets on skeleton or skii jumping exist) but I will tell you at the end of the OG.

Bet sites are not bound to one nation, it's internet, your country doesn't matter to be able to see them (and yes, during the Olympics, every one of the dozens and dozens and dozens of somewhat serious betting sites - available for all countries - have bets for every single Olympic sport :p ).

Well the Olympics are over, so now I'm curious about the secret weapon :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Bet sites are not bound to one nation, it's internet, your country doesn't matter to be able to see them (and yes, during the Olympics, every one of the dozens and dozens and dozens of somewhat serious betting sites - available for all countries - have bets for every single Olympic sport :p )

Nope, it's illegal in Italy to bet on sites which only have an international domain and not an Italian one (meaning that they do not pay taxes in Italy) and you can't even see them without using a VPN. For example if I try to visit a site like bwin.com I am redirected to bwin.it, which has far less events available for betting (of course there are Italian people who bet anyway on .com sites using a VPN, but they can get in trouble, especially if they win).

Just now, Dunadan said:

Nope, it's illegal in Italy to bet on sites which only have an international domain and not an Italian one (meaning that they do not pay taxes in Italy) and you can't even see them without using a VPN. For example if I try to visit a site like bwin.com I am redirected to bwin.it, which has far less events available for betting (of course there are Italian people who bet anyway on .com sites using a VPN, but they can get in trouble, especially if they win).

Well yes, but what I meant is there doesn't need to be an Italian (or Dutch) betting site to be able to at least see the odds in Italy (or the Netherlands), just use a VPN. Plus, surely sites like Oddschecker, where you can see the odds but not bet, aren't blocked? Anyway, my point was: if someone from country X wants to use betting sites for prediction contests, it'll be possible, be it with a VPN or something. 

And to be perfectly clear: I'm just saying all this as a remark to Pablita's mentioning of those sites, I'm definitely not accusing anybody of actually looking at the odds for the contest :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Well yes, but what I meant is there doesn't need to be an Italian (or Dutch) betting site to be able to at least see the odds in Italy (or the Netherlands), just use a VPN. Plus, surely sites like Oddschecker, where you can see the odds but not bet, aren't blocked? Anyway, my point was: if someone from country X wants to use betting sites for prediction contests, it'll be possible, be it with a VPN or something. 

And to be perfectly clear: I'm just saying all this as a remark to Pablita's mentioning of those sites, I'm definitely not accusing anybody of actually looking at the odds for the contest :p 

Oddschecker is also blocked.

Anyway this has little to do with these prediction contests...I interpreted your comment as "everyone from every country can bet on Olympic events on serious betting sites". I would place a good number of bets if I could, but unluckily this is not possible. Ice hockey and alpine skiing (with a few "head to head" bets) are the only exceptIon among wintersports. And this is a bit frustrating for me :p

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Oddschecker is also blocked.

Anyway this has little to do with these prediction contests...I interpreted your comment as "everyone from every country can bet on Olympic events on serious betting sites". I would place a good number of bets if I could, but unluckily this is not possible. Ice hockey and alpine skiing (with a few "head to head" bets) are the only exceptIon among wintersports. And this is a bit frustrating for me :p

Almost right, but instead of actually betting on them, I meant just seeing the odds (which should still be possible with VPN's nowadays :p ). But yeah, this is getting a bit off-topic :d 

Still waiting for that secret weapon :evil:

Now I know what Ledecka is feeling :roflmao:

First of all thanks to Wanderer and every one who helped to prepare the contest and keep them running, we have daily results, lots of contenders and different medallists (and great Italian team!!!), it seems the old days coming back. :thumbup:

I think the new form for the contest worked good and it has been easier and faster to fill them.

Now I had to confess my secret, I hope that my revelation won't cost me my medals anyway I will accept the verdict of the Wada totallympics committee but I want to let you know that I acted in good faith: I didn't know that I was increasing my chance to win.

The two contests I won were filled while I was...

Nascondi Contenuto

drinking

33668.jpg

Doping, clearly :d

Thank you Pablita. I think I took actually your idea for the format this time and have to say I like it very much. Also, the spreadsheet looks less messy, though I need more time to prepare it. But nevertheless, I had many problems with name typing because of spelling mistakes, flags, and spaces between and after the names with previous format... so this one looks more elegant and easier to manage. 

To add, I am very glad we have had so many participants. I wish we can break some records, the most famous one - with 100+ participants for Euro 2012... Hopefully FIFA World Cup this year can bring big interest as well :) 

I'll use this post to ask if there is anyone with good skills in excel to help me to prepare even better spreadsheets for future contests. Feel free to PM me. I have the old ones and will still use them until someone with better excel knowledge than me turns up :d