website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Points for guessing difference should be reduced in some sports (or conversely points for right winner should be increased), yes.

But giving the same 0 points to someone who gets the result wrong (but kind of "guesses" the match will be close) and to someone who also predicts a wrong winner (but by a large margin), will increase the randomness/luck factor. Especially in sports where matches are most often decided by a small margin of points/goals like handball, waterpolo or field hockey.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! Since the breaking down of the old Totallympics forum we had difficulties with Prediction Contests management throughout last two years. But the new year is approaching and we'll have to learn from experience. 

- the remaining results of old prediction contests will be posted by the end of the year (either by tuniscof or I'll do it myself)

- we'll have Women's Handball World Championship Prediction Contest by the end of the year with results being posted regularly

- from now on I invite you all to share your opinion and comments on scoring system and formats for the next year

We should have all this set by the end of December. The Prediction Contests Calendar for 2018 will have fewer contests and will need more volunteering managers, especially for second half of the year.

Proposed contests for 2018:

1. Tennis - Australian Open

2. Men's Ice Hockey - Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games

3. Alpine Skiing - Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games

4. Biathlon - Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games

5. Nordic Skiing - Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games

6. Miscellaneous Events - Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games

7. Tennis - French Open

8. Men's Football - FIFA World Cup

9. Women's Field Hockey - World Championship

10. Sailing - World Championships

11. Women's Basketball - World Cup

12. Men's Volleyball - World Championship

13. Women's Volleyball - World Championship (possible merge with men's championship?)

14. Men's Field Hockey - World Cup

If there is enough interest, the following ones can be run:

- Men's Handball European Championship

- Track Cycling World Championships

- Men's Rugby Six Nations Cup

- FEI World Equestrian Games

- Men's Water Polo European Championship

I hope we can set up the scoring systems as early as possible so I can work on spreadsheets :) 

Feel free to discuss and comment!