website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I will do my best to make the Dutch national thread get a bit bigger though, mostly by posting some news articles I think (since I just really don't have the time (or will) to copy, paste and adjust a million results in all kinds of formats and templates). So that's good :p 

So you will make the Dutch National Thread great again? :cheer:

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

So you will make the Dutch National Thread great again? :cheer:

I'll try, hopefully with some help from @Dennis :d  

Don't expect too much, mostly some Dutch news and stuff like that for starters (at least from me) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I will do my best to make the Dutch national thread get a bit bigger though, mostly by posting some news articles I think (since I just really don't have the time (or will) to copy, paste and adjust a million results in all kinds of formats and templates). So that's good :p 

National Threads are for discussion only now, I actually try to dissuade users from copying and pasting results because this kills the discussion. But there is total freedom inside national threads, every user can do what he wants in the format he wants and post in the language he wants. It was not like that in the old forum and nobody was complaining, now if I want users to add 3 words in the title a revolution arise, well that's called popularity :p

1 minute ago, Sindo said:

National Threads are for discussion only now, I actually try to dissuade users from copying and pasting results because this kills the discussion. But there is total freedom inside national threads, every user can do what he wants in the format he wants and post in the language he wants. It was not like that in the old forum and nobody was complaining, now if I want users to add 3 words in the title a revolution arise, well that's called popularity :p

Wouldn't it be better to let people from smaller countries (Totallympics-wise) do whatever they can (also copying news or results) considering that there aren't a lot of possible discussions when there are only one or 2 members. I can at least say that unless some sudden surge of Danish members happen, the only activity in the Danish national thread will be me trying to follow the national qualification by posting results and rankings. 

I like talking with myself, but on text it's just sad ;)

4 minutes ago, Agger said:

Wouldn't it be better to let people from smaller countries (Totallympics-wise) do whatever they can (also copying news or results) considering that there aren't a lot of possible discussions when there are only one or 2 members. I can at least say that unless some sudden surge of Danish members happen, the only activity in the Danish national thread will be me trying to follow the national qualification by posting results and rankings. 

I like talking with myself, but on text it's just sad ;)

I agree when you are the only user from your nation is difficoult, I think the best way would be to wait another user of your nation to join the forum and then coordinate with him/her how to make the National Thread more active. But if you think about it everything has to start from somewhere, I was also the only member of the whole forum when I opened it the first time 7 years ago :champion:

But this is something not related to the title of the thread, I don't think if users read "Road to Tokyo 2020" they get scared and stop posting or would get mad if they find inside posts not Tokyo 2020 related :lol:

Just now, Sindo said:

I agree when you are the only user from your nation is difficoult, I think the best way would be to wait another user of your nation to join the forum and then coordinate with him/her how to make National Thread more active.

But this is something not related to the title of the thread, I don't think if users read "Road to Tokyo 2020" they get scared and stop posting or would get mad if they find inside posts not Tokyo 2020 related :lol:

I just feel that the best way for me to get Danish users is giving them the best overview of the Danish qualification and then making people aware of it. 

I've tried to get sports interested friends and also people from a couple of sports forums to get aware of the site, but we haven't had another active Danish member (who have done more than posting a few places and then disappeared) since the new site.

Also if it's just for discussing, I feel that the "Road to Tokyo 2020" heading would be pretty weird. I surely wouldn't mind having it in the header, as I won't be using it for anything else, but if it's just for discussing anything sports related, it will be so much more than the Olympics.

I'll stop here. Have to get back to writing my paper :p

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Clearly, they 'd be blood.

Hoppefully, you're here helping us standardizing EVERYTHING, so we don't start ripping each others. Thank you.

I will try to explain you why I want things like this to be standardized.

1) A Nation with two or more users, the user who opened the thread doesn't want the "Road to Tokyo 2020" part, the other user(s) are slaves of dictator Sindo and want the "Road to Tokyo 2020" part. What to do ?

solution a) Give priority to the user who opened the thread (but why? Impossible to know)

solution b) Give priority to the majority of users (and what if it's tied? We delete the National Thread at all?)

2) A Nation with two or more users, the user who opened the thread is a slave of the dictator Sindo and wants to add the "Road to Tokyo 2020" part, the other user(s) would commit a suicide if they see a "Road to Tokyo 2020" part. What to do ?

solution a) Give priority to the user who opened the thread (but why? Impossible to know)

solution b) Give priority to the majority of users (and what if it's tied? We delete the National Thread at all?)

3) A nation with two or more users have all the users slave of dictator Sindo and they all want to add the "Road to Tokyo 2020" part, but the user who opened the National Thread is not active anymore. What to do ?

solution a) Change the title

solution b) Don't change the title because the user could come back and could get mad someone dared to change the title to his National THread

4) A National thread of a nation of one of the admins (so by definition a slave of dictator Sindo). But another user opened the thread and he would commit a suicidie if he sees a "Road to Tokyo 2020" part. What to do ?

solution b) Give priority to the admin (dictator Sindo I hate you!)

5) A National thread of a nation of one of the admins (so by definition a slave of dictator Sindo), he also opened the thread but all the other users of his nation would commit a suicidie if he sees a "Road to Tokyo 2020" part. What to do ?

solution a) Give priority to the admin

solution b) Give priority to the majority of users

I made just 5 random examples but I would be able to make 100 of them changing all the combination of situations and numbers.

Your answer is usually like "just let users do whatever they want", but as you see in my examples, sometimes that is not possible, some users will obtain what they want and some won't (and we are just talking about 3 words in a title, don't forget).

If my time was unlimited, the best solution would be to write a rule book so that every situation would have its solution to decide what the title should be, but I am sure you all agree that it would be a crazy loss of time to do that just to add 3 words in a thread's title.

And this is exactly why I try to standardize as much as possible, to save time. I already lost too much time writing this message explaining the reason why I think all national threads should have the same title, for sure more time than I would have needed to just change the titles of all threads. But I hope this helps you to understand what I am saying.

Suggestion: use this 'Road to etc' as standard (so also in case of a 'tie'), but don't use it when a majority of the users who actually use the thread don't want it. Don't make it 'forced'. 

Btw: anything about 'the user who opened is is not active anymore' is not important at all. The user who opened it is merely that, 'the user who opened it', not the grand ruler of the thread, especially not when inactive.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Suggestion: use this 'Road to etc' as standard (so also in case of a 'tie'), but don't use it when a majority of the users who actually use the thread don't want it. Don't make it 'forced'.

Then again, why in case of a tie one of the two options should prevail ? What if one of the users disappear and the majority would change ? Or if another one join ? You really want to loose time to ask from time to time to users what title they would prefer ?

I am sure if we had to vote now some users would complain even about the "National Thread" title itself, the same title they are now defending. Why National Thread and not national thread ? Or National thread ? Why not national Thread ? No I prefer Nat. Thread. Or maybe better just remove Thread word, just "Netherlands National", because I hate "Thread" word.

Of course I am bringing this to the extreme but it is just to show you it is not that easy, especially when you have to take decisions knowing some users will be against them whatever they are ;)

6 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Then again, why in case of a tie one of the two options should prevail ?

That really is very simple: because there can only be one option that's actually used. Set one standard in case of a tie, and in case people have no problem with it, easy. Really, this is just being overcomplicated. Just add it to threads where the people are fine with it, don't add it where people state they don't want it. If people in the thread (again, those who actually use the thread) can't come to an agreement, you add the Road to stuff yourself. 

If the only other active Dutch user here would want this Road to stuff in the thread title, perfectly fine, then it's 1-1 and the tiebreaker decides so the title changes. If he's fine with how the title is now, like I am, we keep it like it is now because there's no need to change it. And yes, I do find it annoying that every thread title has this obligated habit of using capital letters where it's 100% unnecessary, but I've put that in the back of my mind and am ignoring it rather than complaining about it :p 

Main point (at least for me): "Netherlands National Thread" is perfectly fine, keep it. If the other active Dutch user agrees with your standard and wants that, change it. If not, keep it. Easy. 

Edited by heywoodu