Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sindo

Totallympics Announcements Thread

DaniSRB    517
Just now, heywoodu said:

Which I understand, but shouldn't be 'forced'. 

"Netherlands National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020" (no idea why it's all with capital letters, but alright :p) makes 0 sense when me or @Dennis only use the thread for some more 'national' news now and then. It makes perfect sense when it's almost exclusively used for Olympic qualification, but it's not. So. Yeah. 

in introduction you write: Hello, we are heywoodu and Dennis and here there is everything you have to know about Olympic qualifications, feel free to register and get all the Olympic knowledge :p, then continue as it is now.............or you don't want more Dutch users here? :d

• Like 1

Sindo    211
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Which I understand, but shouldn't be 'forced'. 

"Netherlands National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020" (no idea why it's all with capital letters, but alright :p) makes 0 sense when me or @Dennis only use the thread for some more 'national' news now and then. It makes perfect sense when it's almost exclusively used for Olympic qualification, but it's not. So. Yeah. 

So how would you deal with the situation if tomorrow a dutch user will register to discuss about dutch qualifications to Tokyo ? What if an user wants one title and another user another one? This is the reason why I want titles to be standardized.

Agger    387
Posted (edited)

Well. In theory that could be solved by having two national threads. A discussion thread for people to discuss or maybe share news in their own language and a national qualification thread where people could focus on this.

Personally I've never really seen the big reason in the national threads for discussing in own languages, but maybe that's just because I have no Danes to discuss with (and even if I had, Denmark has a pretty high level of English), but meanwhile the national qualifications are very interesting to me.

Edited by Agger

De_Gambassi    271
il y a 3 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

So how would you deal with the situation if tomorrow a dutch user will register to discuss about dutch qualifications to Tokyo ? What if an user wants one title and another user another one? This is the reason why I want titles to be standardized.

Clearly, they 'd be blood.

Hoppefully, you're here helping us standardizing EVERYTHING, so we don't start ripping each others. Thank you.

DaniSRB    517

For me thread where would we just add results and quotas by some template has more sense to be in results portal

Sindo    211
Just now, Agger said:

Well. In theory that could be solved by having two national threads. A discussion thread for people to discuss or maybe share news in their own language and a national qualification thread where people could focus on this.

Personally I've never really seen the big reason in the national threads for discussing in own languages, but maybe that's just because I have no Danes to discuss with, but meanwhile the national qualifications are very interesting to me.

I am absolutely against two different national threads. There would be too many national threads and sometimes users would not even know in which of them to post.

National threads became necessary when some communities started to become big, having around 10 users from the same nation is very nice but it could make the threads too "crowded" about comments of users from the same nation discussing between themselves and their nation's athletes. But they also work the other way around: an active National Thread bring more users here and that's one of the main reasons Serbia and India are the most represented nations here. And the bigger the National Thread get, more easy will be other users from that nation will register to join the discussion.

heywoodu    3,216
13 minutes ago, Sindo said:

We discuss, fight to the death and come up with one choice or another. (minus the fight to the death part)

But since that's not the case yet, this is not something to worry about and it's perfectly fine as it is now :)

heywoodu    3,216

I will do my best to make the Dutch national thread get a bit bigger though, mostly by posting some news articles I think (since I just really don't have the time (or will) to copy, paste and adjust a million results in all kinds of formats and templates). So that's good :p 

dcro    2,701
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I will do my best to make the Dutch national thread get a bit bigger though, mostly by posting some news articles I think (since I just really don't have the time (or will) to copy, paste and adjust a million results in all kinds of formats and templates). So that's good :p 

So you will make the Dutch National Thread great again? :cheer:

heywoodu    3,216
1 minute ago, dcro said:

So you will make the Dutch National Thread great again? :cheer:

I'll try, hopefully with some help from @Dennis :d  

Don't expect too much, mostly some Dutch news and stuff like that for starters (at least from me) :p 

Sindo    211
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

National Threads are for discussion only now, I actually try to dissuade users from copying and pasting results because this kills the discussion. But there is total freedom inside national threads, every user can do what he wants in the format he wants and post in the language he wants. It was not like that in the old forum and nobody was complaining, now if I want users to add 3 words in the title a revolution arise, well that's called popularity :p

Agger    387
1 minute ago, Sindo said:

National Threads are for discussion only now, I actually try to dissuade users from copying and pasting results because this kills the discussion. But there is total freedom inside national threads, every user can do what he wants in the format he wants and post in the language he wants. It was not like that in the old forum and nobody was complaining, now if I want users to add 3 words in the title a revolution arise, well that's called popularity :p

Wouldn't it be better to let people from smaller countries (Totallympics-wise) do whatever they can (also copying news or results) considering that there aren't a lot of possible discussions when there are only one or 2 members. I can at least say that unless some sudden surge of Danish members happen, the only activity in the Danish national thread will be me trying to follow the national qualification by posting results and rankings. 

I like talking with myself, but on text it's just sad ;)

• Like 1