website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

It's sad to be a lone representative :(

Just kidding, I can't wait the Games to start :bounce:

You can still try to find some other Indonesian sport fan to join :p

Anyway, for those who still do not have a National Thread but would like to open one, just write me a Personal Message and I will give you the logo (made by vinipereira :p ) and you can open the thread.

There has been some attempt to open a USA National Thread, but if someone helps me with all the formatting, I have the information contained in an Excel spreadsheet, and I would be happy to transfer it over here if given some formatting and template help.

If anyone is interested in helping me and would like to see my spreadsheet, you can send me a PM with your email address.

Edited by wpwells

• 5 weeks later...

novo logo efeitos 01.png

Hello everyone!

Rio 2016 is coming to an end and I would like to make an announcement before some users will enter into the "detoxification mode" of sports after the Olympic Games :lol: and will disappear for some months (hopefully not too much!)

After the new start in March, as you know Totallympics has changed because from March on Totallympics has only been a discussion forum and not a results collection website anymore. I had to quickly restart the forum to avoid the community to die, we have lost some users, found some others, but in general I think it was a positive new start.

As many of you know, I have started Totallympics in 2011 and I have had a motivation lackness in the past 12 months. Also thanks to some improvements in my professional life, I have now found some new motivations and I have already planned the new Olympic Quadriennium which will start tomorrow :d and will go until Tokyo 2020.

What Totallympics offered until February and has totally missed after the new start is the results collection, something I would like to start again.

My idea is to separate the discussion forum from the results collection part of Totallympics. And I think the best way is to keep this forum's software (IP Board) for the discussion forum (very expensive :wall: but very user friendly) and to use Discuz (the old forum's software, which is free) again for the results collection part.

We would not use the Discuz part as a discussion forum, but the good thing is that Discuz is free and all Totallympics contributors already know how to use it to post results. As you may have noticed trying to post results here on IP Board, this software is very good for discussion but very bad for tables and complex formats in general. To post results in tables like we were doing on Discuz here on IP Board is not even impossible and to work with tables in general very time consuming. Also, I have tried some websites platforms in the past months but none of them are as good as Discuz for the tables and the formats we were already used to use until few months ago.

So to make a summary my idea is:

• IP Board (Totallympics as it is now) for Discussion

• Discuz (Totallympics as it was from 2011 to February 2016) for Results

I think this solution would make everyone happy: those who were interested to post/be informed about results and those who are just interested in the discussion. Hopefully most of you will be interested in both of the things :d

On the Discuz forum we will have a limited number of users, because only the contributors will register, and only results will be posted. No general messages, no questions about results or olympic qualifications, no mistakes reports, everything which does not contain results will be posted on the IP Board forum.

We will have some "rules" about which events to follow, I mean that everything will be standardized as it was before, to avoid someone registering and starting to post random results of minor sports competitions.

Of course we will as always focus on Olympic Qualifications and hopefully we will be able to follow the biggest number possible of international competitions of both Winter and Summer Sports. All the discussions will still be here, and hopefully more and more users from each Nation will join the discussion to follow sport events with us everyday. One of the most important thing here will be to make all National Threads more and more populated so that each Nation will have at least 2 or more users who can discuss in their own national language in their National Thread.

Another difference, a positive one I think because many of you complained about this, is that in the Discuz Threads we will not post "daily" results in the threads anymore, because there will be no discussion in the threads. So we will just have to update the post with results without posting "Day 1 Results", "Medal Count after Day 3" and so on anymore.

We still have to decide together with admins some things, but this is the general idea. I think this is the best thing because people who wants to discuss can do it without comments being interrupted by very long results/medal count posts, people who want results will be able to use Totallympics as a source again as it happened before, and people who want to do both things will be able to do both things :d

My main concern, right now, is who will take care of the Events of the Week Thread, because it is very time consuming and it requires a great general sports events knowledge and to be always aware of which sport events have started or will start soon. As you know, KSR was taking care of that since Totallympics launch, but I have not been able to contact him after February 2016. Hopefully he will come back one day, but I can't say when, so we need someone who will take care of that. I hope I will be able to contribute on this project as much as I can but I do not want to be in a position for which the whole Totallympics depends on me, therefore I prefer to help as much as I can, but not to let any thread or project depends exclusively on me.

Another important thing is to easily and quickly link from one forum to the other one so that users can easily pass from reading results to comment and the opposite. For example, we could add a link in the first post of each thread to redirect users to the results/discussion thread in the other forum. As I said, this "split" will allow users to only use the results or the discussion part, but hopefully most of you will be interested and will take part in both of them.

If you have any question or suggestion feel free to ask/propose because in the next days I don't think we will have many sport events to follow :d So we have time to think about the new quadriennium.

In few hours Rio 2016 will be finished but Totallympics' strenght has always been to be alive for 365 days per year and our Olympic Games don't last 16 days but 4 years, so from tomorrow on our focus will be on Tokyo 2020, with of course Pyeongchang 2018 and all other daily sport events in between :champion: And I hope you will all be with us and more and more users from yours and from other nations will join us during the journey!

novo logo efeitos 01.png

Brilliant Idea Sindo & good to hear that your passion for sports is back :clap::yes

About the Events of the Week thread - Since KSR is not available, all the admins should take care of it. Any admin should be able to add a new event into that week post

Appreciate the decision of not putting Daily Results. It was time consuming and bit irritating. Because of which I was able to focus only on Badminton & La Liga results. This allows me to spend more time on other sport threads too

What about the idea of starting new National Threads for certain countries? Atleast threads like India, Italy & Serbia which are already above 50 pages

There should be a link in home page itself to redirect to IP Board (Discussion) & Discuz (Results)

Great, I was waiting for this since March:d As you know my passion in this forum is posting the results, so I am very satisfied with your idea, Sindo :thumbup: I'm ready to take care about as much as I can in results posting :)

5 hours ago, Sports Lover said:

So does that mean we have to do new registrations or will it be possible to register with the same user name and passowrd as here

New registrations, but the registrations will be limited to those who will post results, other people can surf through the Discuz without being registered, because the comments will still be on the IP Board forum. We will put an option for which the new registrations have to be approved by the admins, explaining that if someone is registerting to comment, he has to go on the IP Board forum.

5 hours ago, Sports Lover said:

And what about paralympics

They are too early to open the new forum in time for Paralympics, but we will follow them here. I will try to open the new discuz forum as soon as possible, but the first months will be more like a test. Hopefully we will be in full activity by the start of 2017.