website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

3 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

Well imo, purpose of this addition in national languages is that people spot this forum while seaching something about qualifications in their languages and eventually register here

Which I understand, but shouldn't be 'forced'. 

"Netherlands National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020" (no idea why it's all with capital letters, but alright :p) makes 0 sense when me or @Dennis only use the thread for some more 'national' news now and then. It makes perfect sense when it's almost exclusively used for Olympic qualification, but it's not. So. Yeah. Hence my remark: this should be the choice of the user (or when there's multiple users, the users) who actually use the thread.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

"Netherlands National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020" (no idea why it's all with capital letters, but alright :p) makes 0 sense when me or @Dennis only use the thread for some more 'national' news now and then. It makes perfect sense when it's almost exclusively used for Olympic qualification, but it's not. So. Yeah. 

in introduction you write: Hello, we are heywoodu and Dennis and here there is everything you have to know about Olympic qualifications, feel free to register and get all the Olympic knowledge :p, then continue as it is now.............or you don't want more Dutch users here? :d

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

"Netherlands National Thread | Road to Tokyo 2020" (no idea why it's all with capital letters, but alright :p) makes 0 sense when me or @Dennis only use the thread for some more 'national' news now and then. It makes perfect sense when it's almost exclusively used for Olympic qualification, but it's not. So. Yeah. 

So how would you deal with the situation if tomorrow a dutch user will register to discuss about dutch qualifications to Tokyo ? What if an user wants one title and another user another one? This is the reason why I want titles to be standardized.

Well. In theory that could be solved by having two national threads. A discussion thread for people to discuss or maybe share news in their own language and a national qualification thread where people could focus on this.

Personally I've never really seen the big reason in the national threads for discussing in own languages, but maybe that's just because I have no Danes to discuss with (and even if I had, Denmark has a pretty high level of English), but meanwhile the national qualifications are very interesting to me.

Edited by Agger

il y a 3 minutes, Sindo a déclaré:

So how would you deal with the situation if tomorrow a dutch user will register to discuss about dutch qualifications to Tokyo ? What if an user wants one title and another user another one? This is the reason why I want titles to be standardized.

Clearly, they 'd be blood.

Hoppefully, you're here helping us standardizing EVERYTHING, so we don't start ripping each others. Thank you.

Just now, Agger said:

Well. In theory that could be solved by having two national threads. A discussion thread for people to discuss or maybe share news in their own language and a national qualification thread where people could focus on this.

Personally I've never really seen the big reason in the national threads for discussing in own languages, but maybe that's just because I have no Danes to discuss with, but meanwhile the national qualifications are very interesting to me.

I am absolutely against two different national threads. There would be too many national threads and sometimes users would not even know in which of them to post.

National threads became necessary when some communities started to become big, having around 10 users from the same nation is very nice but it could make the threads too "crowded" about comments of users from the same nation discussing between themselves and their nation's athletes. But they also work the other way around: an active National Thread bring more users here and that's one of the main reasons Serbia and India are the most represented nations here. And the bigger the National Thread get, more easy will be other users from that nation will register to join the discussion.

13 minutes ago, Sindo said:

We discuss, fight to the death and come up with one choice or another. (minus the fight to the death part)

But since that's not the case yet, this is not something to worry about and it's perfectly fine as it is now :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I will do my best to make the Dutch national thread get a bit bigger though, mostly by posting some news articles I think (since I just really don't have the time (or will) to copy, paste and adjust a million results in all kinds of formats and templates). So that's good :p