website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

18 minutes ago, Nate River said:

After watching The International all day I'm kind of all esports-ed out.

The standard of the tournament is pretty high from what I understand

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Esports stream has much more views than all other channels combined lol.

The sad part is that almost all people watching probably don't care about anything else in the asian games.

Really hoping this isn't the future of multisport games, but money will likely say yes...

23 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The standard of the tournament is pretty high from what I understand

I don't know anything about Arena of Valor, Clash Royale or PES eSports so I can't comment on those.

For Hearthstone, Tredsred (the Japanese player) is fine but none of the players are really top tier. It's disappointing because China and South Korea have some of the best players in the world and neither qualified.

For League of Legends, watch out for the South Korean team. Those players are good. Ruler and Peanut are world champions, Faker is a multiple time world champion and the consensus best player of all times, and both other players are strong. China and Taiwan have very strong teams too, with Vietnam also having a good team. But just like in the professional tournaments South Korea should be dominant. Sadly the groups are very imbalanced, with only two of China, South Korea and Vietnam able to reach the semi-finals.

For the StarCraft II tournament we have Maru from South Korea, one of the best player of all times, and we have a bunch of also-rans.

The League of Legends tournament is probably the only one really worth following.

16 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Esports stream has much more views than all other channels combined lol.

The sad part is that almost all people watching probably don't care about anything else in the asian games.

Really hoping this isn't the future of multisport games, but money will likely say yes...

I don't think eSports should be part of the summer Olympics or traditional multi-sport events, but I also don't think it's an audience that can be ignored by the IOC, especially because it isn't the same audience as traditional sports. I think it would make a lot of sense to establish an Olympics and regional games for eSports and other mind sports (like chess and go).

Edit: wow, who's bright idea was it to include Arena of Valor?

Edited by NearPup

hace 10 minutos, Nate River said:

I don't think eSports should be part of the summer Olympics or traditional multi-sport events, but I also don't think it's an audience that can be ignored by the IOC, especially because it isn't the same audience as traditional sports. I think it would make a lot of sense to establish an Olympics and regional games for eSports and other mind sports (like chess and go).

I would tolerate better if it were like that, but still, something just doesn't feel right. It's an industry that works perfectly fine by itself and IOC would have to deal with the corporate interests of all those gaming companies, which could pervert everything that olympics are supposed to stand for... also, would the best esports players even care about playing for free? we don't want another football/baseball-like cashgrab at the prime sport event in the world.