website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

There's still one more event to go, but here is some initial stats on the performance of nations in non-Olympic events.

First I removed all non-Olympic sports, except for roller sports, which I only kept skateboarding. I also removed events from Olympic sports that are not in the Olympics with the following exceptions. In boxing, weightlifting and wrestling all weightclasses were kept and in karate the men's and women’s +84kg and +68kg respectively were kept to simulate the +75kg and +61kg events.

Medals won in non-Olympic Events

1.   :INA - 63

2.   :CHN - 59

3.   :KOR - 52

4.   :TPE - 34

5.   :THA - 32

6.   :JPN - 25

7.   :VIE - 24

8.   :IND - 23

8.   :IRI - 23

8.   :MAS - 23

11. :UZB - 22

Everyone else won fewer than 20 medals in non-Olympic events. Not too surprising that Indonesia won the most medals. Bahrain, Iraq and Syria were the only nations to have won medals, but none in non-Olympic events. Afghanistan, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Nepal only won medals in non-Olympic events. Of course putting down total medals is a bit unfair for larger nations. Powerhouses like China are expected to do well in all sports so it's expected that they would also win more medals in non-Olympic sports.

Here I calculated the probability that a nation would have earned their number of Olympic event medals (or fewer) over the total medals won. A lower number meant it was unlikely and that the nation likely benefited from non-Olympic events.

1.   :INA 0.0000000076%

2.   :MAS 0.0049%

3.   :VIE 0.0087%

4.   :UAE 0.049%

5.   :TPE 0.12%

6.   :LAO 0.35%

7.   :SGP 0.84%

8.   :THA 2.46%

9.   :CAM 3.34%

10. :PHI 4.39%

Everyone else was at a 10% chance or higher. 8/10 nations that benefited from non-Olympic events were Southeast Asian nations, likely due to Indonesia's influence. The nations that saw significantly little to no benefit from the added events were Bahrain, Iraq, Syria, Japan, China, North Korea, Qatar and Kazakhstan.

26 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

There's still one more event to go, but here is some initial stats on the performance of nations in non-Olympic events.

First I removed all non-Olympic sports, except for roller sports, which I only kept skateboarding. I also removed events from Olympic sports that are not in the Olympics with the following exceptions. In boxing, weightlifting and wrestling all weightclasses were kept and in karate the men's and women’s +84kg and +68kg respectively were kept to simulate the +75kg and +61kg events.

Medals won in non-Olympic Events

1.   :INA - 63

2.   :CHN - 59

3.   :KOR - 52

4.   :TPE - 34

5.   :THA - 32

6.   :JPN - 25

7.   :VIE - 24

8.   :IND - 23

8.   :IRI - 23

8.   :MAS - 23

11. :UZB - 22

Everyone else won fewer than 20 medals in non-Olympic events. Not too surprising that Indonesia won the most medals. Bahrain, Iraq and Syria were the only nations to have won medals, but none in non-Olympic events. Afghanistan, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Nepal only won medals in non-Olympic events. Of course putting down total medals is a bit unfair for larger nations. Powerhouses like China are expected to do well in all sports so it's expected that they would also win more medals in non-Olympic sports.

Here I calculated the probability that a nation would have earned their number of Olympic event medals (or fewer) over the total medals won. A lower number meant it was unlikely and that the nation likely benefited from non-Olympic events.

1.   :INA 0.0000000076%

2.   :MAS 0.0049%

3.   :VIE 0.0087%

4.   :UAE 0.049%

5.   :TPE 0.12%

6.   :LAO 0.35%

7.   :SGP 0.84%

8.   :THA 2.46%

9.   :CAM 3.34%

10. :PHI 4.39%

Everyone else was at a 10% chance or higher. 8/10 nations that benefited from non-Olympic events were Southeast Asian nations, likely due to Indonesia's influence. The nations that saw significantly little to no benefit from the added events were Bahrain, Iraq, Syria, Japan, China, North Korea, Qatar and Kazakhstan.

looking forward to seeing the olympic table i think it will be extremely close between us iran and uzbeks for 4th  spot :d

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, bestmen said:

I read somewhere the korean son heung min has been exempted of military service after he won the gold of football :lol:

And Norway brought thousands of doses of asthma medicines.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I’m watching a replay of the Women’s 20Km Speed Skating, and besides the fact that I could skate faster than all of Sri Lanka’s skates, there is a point in the race where officials had to actually ask the competitors to increase their speed in order to satisfy the definition of skating :lol:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Probably nobody cares, but ... demonstration events.

eSports - Arena of Valor

GOLD: China :CHN CHN

SILVER: Chinese Taipei :TPE TPE

BRONZE: Vietnam :VIE VIE

eSports - League of Legends

GOLD: China :CHN CHN 

SILVER: South Korea :KOR KOR

BRONZE: Chinese Taipei :TPE TPE

eSports - Clash Royale

GOLD: Ridel Yesaya Sumarandak :INA INA

SILVER: Huang Chenghui :CHN CHN

BRONZE: Huynh Duc Huy :VIE VIE

eSports - Hearthstone

GOLD: Lo Tsz Kin :HKG HKG

SILVER: Hendry Koentarto Handisurya :INA INA

BRONZE: Tirth Mehta :IND IND

eSports - StarCraft II

GOLD: Cho Seong-ju :KOR KOR

SILVER: Huang Yu-hsiang :TPE TPE

BRONZE: Tran Hong Phuc :VIE VIE

eSports - Pro Evolution Soccer 2018

GOLD: Naoki Sugimura/Zsubasa Aihara :JPN JPN

SILVER: Hassan Pajani/Reza Nobakhtsarkandi :IRI IRI

BRONZE: Le Doan Thanh Tam/Do Thai Tien Phuc :VIE VIE

Canoe Polo - Women's Tournament

GOLD: Iran :IRI IRI

SILVER: Singapore :SGP SGP

Canoe Polo - Men's Tournament

GOLD: Japan :JPN JPN

SILVER: Malaysia :MAS MAS

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m watching a replay of the Women’s 20Km Speed Skating, and besides the fact that I could skate faster than all of Sri Lanka’s skates, there is a point in the race where officials had to actually ask the competitors to increase their speed in order to satisfy the definition of skating :lol:

I. Want. That. Replay.

:d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I. Want. That. Replay.

:d 

Your wish is my command 

https://youtu.be/ye4n-T6GdD0

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Your wish is my command 

https://youtu.be/ye4n-T6GdD0

It works without VPN :hyper:

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It works without VPN :hyper:

Shhh! It’s a secret

8 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

Following these games got me hyped for pan ams next year.

Then I remember we'll probably have even less streaming than this and I get sad again.

I'm hopeful that at least in athletics, swimming and gymnastics we'll be able to watch all of the events. Other than that, judo, volleyball, handball, table tennis, skateboarding, canoeing, archery, weightlifting, modern pentathlon and equestrian are the sports I want to watch, but I'm not sure all of the events will be streamed, especially in table tennis and modern pentathlon.