website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

18 minuti fa, MHSN ha scritto:

They use a very weird format for volleyball. but based on my understanding here is the bracket

Saudi Arabia vs Chinese Taipei

Thailand vs Indonesia

Qatar vs Myanmar

---------------------

Korea vs Pakistan

Japan vs India

Iran vs China

winner of matches in bold will go directly to the semifinal and for example winner of KOR/PAK match will play the winner of JPN/IND match and winner will play the winner of IRN/CHN.

so that's a sure thing we will have a new finalist in the history of Asian Games. Iran, China, Japan and Korea they are aill in bottom half ! (even though Japan and China are here with B teams) none of those teams in top half played in AG final before. Indonesia somehow invented this crazy format to find a way into the medal round. but they lost to Saudi Arabia and Saudis as Group A winner took their place . still Indonesia was lucky in the blind draw for 2nd placed teams and got into the top half.

well, it's not that weird...it's just a partial round of 16 with only 12 teams...

you can look at that bracket like this:

KSA bye

TPE bye

THA vs INA

QAT vs MYA

KOR vs PAK

JPN vs IND

IRI bye

CHN bye

which is going to build those quarterfinals:

KSA vs TPE

THA/INA vs QAT/MYA

KOR/PAK vs JPN/IND

IRI vs CHN

and then semis and finals...

it's unusual because of the fact that 2 quarterfinals are already set before the partial eightfinals, but still, not so crazy at it could look at first sight...;)

Just now, phelps said:

well, it's not that weird...it's just a partial round of 16 with only 12 teams...

you can look at that bracket like this:

KSA bye

TPE bye

THA vs INA

QAT vs MYA

KOR vs PAK

JPN vs IND

IRI bye

CHN bye

which is going to build those quarterfinals:

KSA vs TPE

THA/INA vs QAT/MYA

KOR/PAK vs JPN/IND

IRI vs CHN

and then semis and finals...

it's unusual because of the fact that 2 quarterfinals are already set before the partial eightfinals, but still, not so crazy at it could look at first sight...;)

well technically all those matches are eightfinals. and then the winner of those two mentioned matches will get bye in the quarterfinal. winners will be top 6 . for example if China loses to Iran they have to play for 7th to 12th places.

they wanted to help Indonesia, so they gave that chance to Indonesia (host) and Iran (as seed 1, defending champion) but why China and Taipei are having that privilege ?! based on what they are getting such advantage ? they didn't win their groups. and you don't give bye in knockout rounds in team sports.

AVC invented a super weird system this year and used it for all competitions. you can check Junior, Youth and Asian Club champs. and I will award you a PhD if you find a logic for that format. :d specially for AVC Cup with 9 teams. but the format they use here is ever more weird.

4 minuti fa, MHSN ha scritto:

well technically all those matches are eightfinals. and then the winner of those two mentioned matches will get bye in the quarterfinal. winners will be top 6 . for example if China loses to Iran they have to play for 7th to 12th places.

they wanted to help Indonesia, so they gave that chance to Indonesia (host) and Iran (as seed 1, defending champion) but why China and Taipei are having that privilege ?! based on what they are getting such advantage ? they didn't win their groups. and you don't give bye in knockout rounds in team sports.

AVC invented a super weird system this year and used it for all competitions. you can check Junior, Youth and Asian Club champs. and I will award you a PhD if you find a logic for that format. :d specially for AVC Cup with 9 teams. but the format they use here is ever more weird.

I understand they have a particular need (to protect home team)...

and I agree on the fact that they are doing it not in a clean way...

but still,  I only wanted to find some logic in the actual development of the final bracket (provided that they built it without any logic and without any fair play)...;)

and looking at that bracket in the way I suggested, someone could even find that (strange and unfair) logic...

p.s. no idea of what they did in the other competitions...and no, thanks...I don't event want to try and understand that (even if I can easily guess from your words that they've been very creative, so to say :facepalm:)...

We have 45+1 (COR) NOCs in the competition. 33 of them already won a medal at least. 13 left without a medal

:KUW:PLE:SRI:YEM:TLS:NEP:BAN:BHU:BRU:MDV:OMA:TJK:SYR

surprising that Kuwait is still in this list ! I think they will win few medals. probably in Karate

Tajikistan will win a medal by Nazarov tomorrow, and I think Syria stands a big chance in High jump (I assume that guy Ghazal is favorite for the gold since Barshim is not here) and I assume Sri Lanka will have some chances in athletics, right ?

but what about the rest ?! Nepal blew a big chance today. for Oman the only notable athlete I know is Al-Harthi but he is just one of the favorites. I was expecting Brunei and East Timor to do something in Pencak silat but they didn't ! looks like there is no chance for Maldives, Palestine, Bangladesh and Bhutan , right ?

I think Yemen has outside chance in Kurash.

note: only 3 NOCs never won a medal in AG, Maldives, East Timor and Bhutan. we should have Palestine in this list too but they won a lucky bronze in boxing back in 2002 only because of his lucky draw.

26 minutes ago, MHSN said:

We have 45+1 (COR) NOCs in the competition. 33 of them already won a medal at least. 13 left without a medal

surprising that Kuwait is still in this list ! I think they will win few medals. probably in Karate

Tajikistan will win a medal by Nazarov tomorrow, and I think Syria stands a big chance in High jump (I assume that guy Ghazal is favorite for the gold since Barshim is not here) and I assume Sri Lanka will have some chances in athletics, right ?

but what about the rest ?! Nepal blew a big chance today. for Oman the only notable athlete I know is Al-Harthi but he is just one of the favorites. I was expecting Brunei and East Timor to do something in Pencak silat but they didn't ! looks like there is no chance for Maldives, Palestine, Bangladesh and Bhutan , right ?

note: only 3 NOCs never won a medal in AG, Maldives, East Timor and Bhutan. we should have Palestine in this list too but they won a lucky bronze in boxing back in 2002 only because of his lucky draw.

Oman still has a chance in 49er Sailing but they weren't so good today.

@dcro might know more about that.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Oman has a chance with a couple of sailing crews.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Kuwait has a chance in men's skeet also 

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Sri Lanka's long jumper has the number 1 jump in the field this season (8.12) but he only got 7.56 in the qualifiers.

Their 4x400 relay team should challenge for a medal.

Their 200m women sprinter won silver last year at Asian championships along with their 800m runners (gold and silver). This season performances haven't been as good, but I think the big names are missing?

Their 3000m steeplechase women athlete broke the NR, and has third ranked time in Asia.

The men's Rugby sevens team should also challenge for a medal (ranked fourth in Asia).

I hope at least one medal comes out of that!