website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

37 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Always fun for me to follow Asian Games , GL to all teams participating :yes the only thing that bother me here a little bit is having this amount of events ,iam not with having all these amount of events in one single games

I’m ok with a lot of events, but the thing upsets me is the randomness of which events were chosen 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

Always fun for me to follow Asian Games , GL to all teams participating :yes the only thing that bother me here a little bit is having this amount of events ,iam not with having all these amount of events in one single games

well yeah. there are so many extra events . specially this year. Indonesia completely ruined the competition by adding Bridge, Pencak Silat, Paragliding, Dragon Boat and Jet Ski ! we also have Sambo, Kurash and Ju-jitsu. I would drop all of them plus Soft Tennis . the only good addition IMO is Sport Climbing. but even in Sport Climbing, we won't have a normal 6 events program. we will have combined event, speed and speed relay ! guess why ? because Indonesia is only good in speed events !

there are so many bad things in this current program. they dropped 3 heaviest weight in Boxing !! 75kg will be heaviest weight in Boxing !! they also wanted to drop super heavy weight in Weightlifting and Karate but at least this time the Asian Federation didn't let them . another funny thing is we will have team compound events but not individual events !!! I never heard such thing, having the team event but not the individual event !! we have the same situation in Paragliding Cross-country events !

but the biggest change is in Shooting program, we used to have team events for all individual events. that was a good idea to drop them all. China and Korea will lose lots of easy gold medals. still China, Korea and Japan will be in top 3. even though this time Japan probably stands a chance to surpass Korea. but it will be hard to predict the rest of the table because of so many new events we will have. I believe Kazakhstan is still the favorite for the 4th place . I won't surprise if Indonesia or most probably Thailand beat the rest for the 5th place. the new events are mostly good for these two countries plus Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

well yeah. there are so many extra events . specially this year. Indonesia completely ruined the competition by adding Bridge, Pencak Silat, Paragliding, Dragon Boat and Jet Ski ! we also have Sambo, Kurash and Ju-jitsu. I would drop all of them plus Soft Tennis . the only good addition IMO is Sport Climbing. but even in Sport Climbing, we won't have a normal 6 events program. we will have combined event, speed and speed relay ! guess why ? because Indonesia is only good in speed events !

there are so many bad things in this current program. they dropped 3 heaviest weight in Boxing !! 75kg will be heaviest weight in Boxing !! they also wanted to drop super heavy weight in Weightlifting and Karate but at least this time the Asian Federation didn't let them . another funny thing is we will have team compound events but not individual events !!! I never heard such thing, having the team event but not the individual event !! we have the same situation in Paragliding Cross-country events !

but the biggest change is in Shooting program, we used to have team events for all individual events. that was a good idea to drop them all. China and Korea will lose lots of easy gold medals. still China, Korea and Japan will be in top 3. even though this time Japan probably stands a chance to surpass Korea. but it will be hard to predict the rest of the table because of so many new events we will have. I believe Kazakhstan is still the favorite for the 4th place . I won't surprise if Indonesia or most probably Thailand beat the rest for the 5th place. the new events are mostly good for these two countries plus Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Ya, the organizing Committee failed here, not did they choose events/sports that the other Asian Games (Indoor, Beach) are ment for, they also tried eliminate Olympic events and keep the ones that benefit their medal chances, not pleased. I think the quality will be lower this year 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 hours ago, MHSN said:

Team sports draw

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__63931/Title__COR-makes-debut-in-Asian-Games-draw/292/Articles

and we will have this COR (unified Korean team) idea in women's basketball. they have a good chance to medal. we will see this stupid COR idea in medal table :(

I wonder what format they want to use in volleyball with 6 groups ! AVC is inventing weird formats recently.

As an Iranian what do you predict about the medals and tally at the Asian games 2018 

15 hours ago, MHSN said:

I do agree with some nonsense cutting of events .Not having 3 boxing categories is bad. Indonesia did get a medal in team compound at world cup once so it's there. Else it would also be cancelled. India has a gold in men's individual compound from last time so it's lost now .Those martial arts are all wierd I don't like any of them .What should be your top 10 countries  in medal tally and why not Iran 4th or 5th ?

13 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

As an Iranian what do you predict about the medals and tally at the Asian games 2018 

I can analyze Iran's chance sport by sport or even athlete by athlete but what will be long and boring for other users.

but in summary we won 21 gold medals in 2014 and 20 in 2010. I expect more or less the same this time. probably a bit less because two of our top sports wrestling and Taekwondo are not in great situation. still some of these new sports. mostly Sport CLimbing and Kurash can make up for that. even in weightlifting we could win more golds because of suspensions of China and Kazakhstan.

here is my prediction about the number of gold medals for Iran

4-5 in Wrestling
2-3 in Weightlifting
2-3 in Karate
1-2 in Taekwondo

1-2 in Rowing
1 in Sport Climbing
1 in Wushu
1 in Athletics
1 in Kurash

1 in Volleyball
2-3 in Other sports, Shooting, Basketball, Canoeing, Archery, Fencing, Judo, Cycling, Jujitsu

19 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I do agree with some nonsense cutting of events .Not having 3 boxing categories is bad. Indonesia did get a medal in team compound at world cup once so it's there. Else it would also be cancelled. India has a gold in men's individual compound from last time so it's lost now .Those martial arts are all wierd I don't like any of them .What should be your top 10 countries  in medal tally and why not Iran 4th or 5th ?

Actually Iran won the men's individual compound gold medal :p but Yeah India is also very good in compound and will hurt from dropping compound events.

as I said Iran will win more or less the same number of medal. 20 gold medals was enough for 4th place in 2010 and 21 was enough for 5th place in 2014 and there was a good margin between Iran and 6th place Thailand but I think this time that number of gold medals won't be enough for top 5 !! Thailand will win lots of golds with these new sports. Pencak Silat alone will give 7-8 gold medals to Indonesia and probably 3-4 to Thailand. and Thailand is pretty good in Paragliding. so I think Thailand has a good chance to even challenge Kazakhstan for 4th place. Thailand is also good in women's martial arts. and now China is banned. Thailand will also dominate the women's weightlifting.

and Sambo and Kurash will give so many gold medals to Central Asian countries. Kurash is the national sport of Uzbekistan.

for example these new sports won't be good for you guys in India, I might be wrong but I can't see any gold medal for India in all these new sports. and dropping some shooting events will hurt India even more.

1 China

2-3 Korea, Japan

4-5 Kazakhstan, Thailand

6-8 Iran, Indonesia, Uzbekistan

9-11 India, Chinese Taipei, North Korea

Edited by MHSN