website statistics

Field Hockey 2016 Discussion Thread

Werloc

Well, surprises to tell about...

We withdrew from hosting the Men's champions trophy (long story I don't want to talk about, related to national politics, it gives me a headache) and FIH gave it to England (so they will host both Women and Men now).

Obviously FIH kicked us out of the tournament, but the surprise is that they also didn't invite the Netherlands! I guess they rejected invitation for some reason (preparation for Olympics maybe).

Belgium and India will be wild cards and join GB, Germany, Australia & Korea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 1:30 AM, LDOG said:

but the surprise is that they also didn't invite the Netherlands! I guess they rejected invitation for some reason (preparation for Olympics maybe).

Our coach Max Caldas: "We want to give our players enough rest. After the national competition and play-offs and the Euro Hockey League, there is way too little time until the Champions Trophy, so we'll skip this year." 

Furthermore, they got the invitation during the Hockey World League last year, but the technical director of the Dutch federation already immediatly said they wouldn't accept it. Mostly because the tournament would be exactly within the short time off/vacation for the Dutch team. Caldas then said they should go, but with a selection of players who would likely not make the Olympic team, so the rest issue wouldn't be a problem. However, apparently travelling to Argentina would have been too expensive, so they decided not to send any team. (and then it got changed to England, but the decision either didn't change or it was too late already)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I am sad that our mens team has to work with a new coach. Markus Weise, who won gold at the last 3 olympic games (2004 with our womens team, 2008 and 2012 with our mens team), now works for german football association. Until a couple of months ago i was pretty confident that we would win gold again, but now i think that even a medal will be difficult.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 2 weeks later...

African junior Championships were last week, teams qualified for Junior (U-21) World Cup are South African & Egypt Men (Egypt won the final 3-2), South Africa & Zimbabwe Women (SA won all matches round robin).

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Did anyone see a schedule anywhere? In December they said a schedule will come out in February.....

Are you talking about 2016 mens hockey champion trophy?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.