website statistics

Field Hockey 2016 Discussion Thread

Werloc

35 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

FIH Announces New Structure of International Hockey Events From 2019

http://fih.ch/news/fih-reveals-new-structure-of-international-hockey-events-from-2019-onwards/

That is such bullshit :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Ikr. I liked the current system. It seems like they are trying to one up the more popuar field hockey...

I don't quite get what you're meaning with that last part :p 

They're the field hockey organization, so I suppose it's logical that they want to make their sport more popular as any sports federation would want? 

Personally I don't even see the need for a Global League or World League or Champions Trophy or whatever. We have the Olympics and we have the World Cup and that's enough. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Personally I don't even see the need for a Global League or World League or Champions Trophy or whatever. We have the Olympics and we have the World Cup and that's enough. 

You say that because Europe has strong club competition, so your players don't lose much if they only have to turn up for the world cup or olympics. But what about the rest of the world? world league or champions trophy is crucial for them to not lose level.

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

You say that because Europe has strong club competition, so your players don't lose much if they only have to turn up for the world cup or olympics. But what about the rest of the world? world league or champions trophy is crucial for them to not lose level.

True, so in that case World League should stay. I like that one because it has different levels of competition and as far as I know, countries can be promoted and relegated or at least move to higher divisions (correct me if I'm wrong). 

But having World Cup, Olympics, Champions Trophy and World League (apart from continental stuff) just takes away the value of a major win. Nice, winning the Champions Trophy, but if you lose...meh, you'll get another chance for a major win next time. 

• 1 month later...

Panamerican Junior Championship started yesterday in Toronto (2 places for junior world cup).

Nothing strange, the usual blowouts in most matches except that Mexico defeated Canada 3-2 :yikes:

Panamerican Junior Championship

Quarterfinals results:

:ARG Argentina 12 - 0 Guyana :GUY 

:MEX Mexico 2 - 3 United States :USA 

:CHI Chile 11 - 0 Puerto Rico :PUR 

:CAN Canada 3 - 2 Trinidad and Tobago :TTO 

Semifinals (winners go to world cup):

:ARG Argentina - United States :USA 

:CHI Chile - Canada :CAN 

Panamerican Junior Championship

5-8 Semifinals:

:TTO Trinidad and Tobago 11 - 0 Puerto Rico :PUR 

:MEX Mexico 3 - 2 Guyana :GUY 

Semifinals

:ARG Argentina 10 - 0 United States :USA 

:CAN Canada 3 - 1 Chile :CHI 

:ARG & :CAN qualify for the Junior World Cup.

Men's Pan American Junior Championship

7th Place Match:

:GUY Guyana 4 - 2 Puerto Rico :PUR 

5th Place Match:

:MEX Mexico 2 4 Trinidad and Tobago :TTO

Bronze Medal Match:

:USA United States 1 - 4 Chile :CHI

Gold Medal Match:

:ARG Argentina 5 - 0 Canada :CAN 

:champion:ARGENTINA :champion:

11th Title (out of 11 editions)

62 goals scored, 0 received